Printer Freezes in under an hour, throws error code

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby Gondee » 2015-Jun-Tue-18-Jun

So i have a printrbot Simple Metal, Rev F4. The only real mods if have done is installing a heated print bed ( the printrbot model), and more recently a E3DV6 hotend.

Here is the symptoms:
Printer runs for about 30mins-1hour, then just stops. The cooling fan remains on, as does the hotend and the printbed.

Here is the error code I managed to get from the printer. It should be noted that I have only flashed the firmware once to change the thermoster for the E3D, so I don't believe I have ever touched this code. Additionally, it did not do this until fairly recently.

Let me know if you guys need anymore information or data or has experienced similar errors...

Thanks!
Josh

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gondee
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printer Freezes in under an hour, throws error code

Postby evanalmighty » 2015-Jun-Tue-18-Jun

Have you tried printing directly from an SD card?

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby frankv » 2015-Jun-Tue-18-Jun

My guess is that your heated bed plus E3DV6 are too much for the power supply, and consequently the voltage sags enough to stop the PrintrBoard. Try a better power supply, or a separate supply for the heated bed.

:!: :!: :!: NB: This could be dangerous. It's likely that turning them both on is the *cause* of the event, so that both the heated bed and nozzle would be turned on full power without any control. :o :shock:

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jun-Wed-10-Jun

If you're up to a little bit of wiring and basic electrical safety (mains voltages can trigger your life insurance policy payout) then look at one of these (random pick). There's cover designs on Thingiverse and elsewhere to help protect you from the seeing the white light.

I don't know how hot my 8" square plus bed will get, but it hits 100 pretty darn fast. I've had one of these for years.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Gondee » 2015-Jun-Wed-18-Jun

Thanks a bunch for the replies y'all!

To answer the questions:
    I do have a external 34 amp power supply powering the printer and all its components.
    I have not tried printing from a SD card as I don't have the addition I would need for that. It looks to me that this error code is unrelated to the usual USB cord failures?

Is there a possibility the printer is not grounded? Its sitting on an old speaker box covered in felt.
I will look into powering the heat bed with a separate power supply, however if possible I would like to keep everything on one.

Gondee

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jun-Wed-19-Jun

Here's just another guess or thing to check: maybe you have something that is shorting out the power supply, but only when the Z height has reached a certain point. You mentioned that you've changed your Hot End. Is all the wiring secure and all the insulation in good condition (nothing pinched or abraded)? One of the wires going to the Hot End (and also one of the wires going to the Heated Bed) is connected directly to +12V. If this gets shorted to ground (e.g. a direct short across the heater wires, or a short circuit from the +12V heater wire to the ground side of the thermistor cable) then you'll at least "glitch" the power supply itself, causing a board reset and loss of communication to your computer.

As Frankv said, having the software freeze with the heaters on full blast is dangerous. Don't leave your printer running without direct supervision.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby PxT » 2015-Jun-Fri-13-Jun

Looks like you're on a Mac so something to consider is that the latest versions of Mac OS are very aggressive about putting things to sleep, sometimes in ways that are unexpected (for example, if a window is hidden from view the app can be suspended even if you are actively doing other things on the machine). If the machine or the application is suspended even for a moment, the USB communication can fail.

So, check your power savings. Make sure that the host computer doesn't go to sleep (System Preferences -> Energy Saver). Then check your host software (Repetier or Pronterface or whatever): Quit out of the app and right-click on its icon in the Finder and choose Get Info (or select the icon and hit Command-I). Check the box marked "Prevent App Nap" and then relaunch the application.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jun-Sat-14-Jun

Didn't click that it was a Mac. Besides the sleep issue Plexus had problems with the USB support on his original Mac, with it hanging just like this one. It was only solved by purchasing another version that didn't have the issue - Apple support was no help so it was the only way to eliminate the problem.

You can dig up the whole sad story with the forum search if you're interested.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2015-Jun-Sat-17-Jun

Have you checked your USB cable and connectors?

Yesterday, out of the blue, my printer stopped working (just as I thought I had the clogging issues figured out :( )

After a few choice words and a bit of debugging, turns out that my micro-USB connector on the printer is loose... holding it in just the right position makes it work.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby Gondee » 2015-Jun-Sun-10-Jun

Thanks for the Replys guys!

@RetireeJay: So Im taking your advice and double checking all the wiring. Its a coincidence that you mention the Z height because on a couple occasions it has zero'd out in mid air thinking it was next to the board.

@PxT: Thats some great info, Im going to test that out immediately and check to see if that is stopping the print. In fact, I feel that should be in the directions for CURA ahah.

@Mooselake, @frankv Ill try another cable to be safe here, but It seems that my issue is tied to height of the Z axis. Never know I guess, so many have reported cable failures...

Now that the summer is gearing up Im interning full time so sorry my reply has been so lagged. Im going to try these things and get back to y'all. Really appreciate the help!

Gondee

Postby Gondee » 2015-Jun-Thu-20-Jun

Ok, I dug to the bottom of this issue. It had something to do with OS X stopping the USB connection for a moment. I couldn't find a fix, but i did dig up an old laptop and installed Mint/OctoPrint. Works great now + I can monitor from anywhere. :D

Anyways, thanks for the help guys!!!!

Gondee

Postby cacb » 2015-Jun-Fri-03-Jun

Gondee wrote:Ok, I dug to the bottom of this issue. It had something to do with OS X stopping the USB connection for a moment. I couldn't find a fix, but i did dig up an old laptop and installed Mint/OctoPrint. Works great now + I can monitor from anywhere. :D

Anyways, thanks for the help guys!!!!

This matches my experience. I had trouble getting the printer to work reliably when controlled from Win7, and my diagnosis was USB connection issues. After I started using OctoPrint on a Raspberry PI with a wireless USB dongle and using a short USB cable between the RPI and printer, I have had zero connection issues. I have printed 50+ hours with this setup during the last month and it works great. Being able to monitor from anywhere is an additional bonus as you say.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Return to Troubleshooting talk