Auto Leveling Crashing in Bed

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby rsoko » 2015-Mar-Mon-22-Mar

I have a simple metal and have been searching for an issue to my autolevel probe, but have not been able to find a solution yet. I completed the Metal Simple Kit and still cannot print without the auto probe crashing into the bed on auto leveling (Before printing stage).

What I have done following the printrbot metal simple directions in Cura:
Connected the printer with power and homed x and y axis
Clicked Z +10, 3 times to raise the z-axis
Heated up the hot end to 210*
Entered M501 to see the z at 0.0
Inserted PLA filament
Manually adjusted bed so that the hotend is touching just above the bed and used the black spacer under the z sensor.
Then Clicked Print

When I click print the z-axis rises then continues to drive into the bed on during auto calibration and the light on the z-sensor lights up, but continues to drive into he bed without stopping. I have to disconnect the power to stop it. I checked to see if the z-probe was detecting the board and to see if it was not detecting at a higher height (Used a command code from another post to confirm the sensor was triggered at lower height and open at higher). any ideas what to try next???

rsoko
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Auto Leveling Crashing in Bed

Postby etxbkst » 2015-Mar-Tue-00-Mar

Did you download the cura (I'm assuming that's the software you're using) file with printrbot settings to be sure you have the correct start code?

etxbkst
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby frankv » 2015-Mar-Tue-01-Mar

What happens when you send G29 (the auto-level command) from the terminal?

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby thawkins » 2015-Mar-Tue-02-Mar

rsoko wrote:I have a simple metal and have been searching for an issue to my autolevel probe, but have not been able to find a solution yet. I completed the Metal Simple Kit and still cannot print without the auto probe crashing into the bed on auto leveling (Before printing stage).

Inserted PLA filament
Manually adjusted bed so that the hotend is touching just above the bed and used the black spacer under the z sensor.
Then Clicked Print

When I click print the z-axis rises then continues to drive into the bed on during auto calibration and the light on the z-sensor lights up, but continues to drive into he bed without stopping. I have to disconnect the power to stop it. I checked to see if the z-probe was detecting the board and to see if it was not detecting at a higher height (Used a command code from another post to confirm the sensor was triggered at lower height and open at higher). any ideas what to try next???

Known problem with either faulty wiring on probe or blown FET on printrboard.

Perform this test with the print head in the center of the bed

1. power down and then power up your printer.
2. wind the z axis down BY HAND until the red light comes on on the probe.
3. wind it back again until the red light goes out.
4. Send an M119 command to the printer, and check the output from the board, it should list the status of all 3 end-stops for x,y and z. z should be listed as "open"
5. Wind the z axis back down until the red light comes on again
6. Send an M119 command to the printer and check that the z axis status now lists as "TRIGGERED".

if that is OK, check the same process in all 4 corners of the bed. if any don't change from "open" to "Triggered" then you have an intermittent (flex related) break in the probe wire. if they always say "open" or "TRIGGERED" regardless of bed position or state of the read light then you have a permanent fault which can either be a permanent break in the cable or a blown input gate on the board.

PBHQ will normally replace any broken part without question, but its best to get a good idea where the fault lies.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby rsoko » 2015-Mar-Tue-19-Mar

etxbkst wrote:Did you download the cura (I'm assuming that's the software you're using) file with printrbot settings to be sure you have the correct start code?

I downloaded Cura and have set it as a Printrbot metal in the setup process.

rsoko
Loading filament...

I have just checked and my z-probe and it is always open no matter how close or where on the bed I am.

thawkins wrote:
rsoko wrote:I have a simple metal and have been searching for an issue to my autolevel probe, but have not been able to find a solution yet. I completed the Metal Simple Kit and still cannot print without the auto probe crashing into the bed on auto leveling (Before printing stage).

Inserted PLA filament
Then Clicked Print

Known problem with either faulty wiring on probe or blown FET on printrboard.

Perform this test with the print head in the center of the bed

1. power down and then power up your printer.
2. wind the z axis down BY HAND until the red light comes on on the probe.
3. wind it back again until the red light goes out.
4. Send an M119 command to the printer, and check the output from the board, it should list the status of all 3 end-stops for x,y and z. z should be listed as "open"
5. Wind the z axis back down until the red light comes on again
6. Send an M119 command to the printer and check that the z axis status now lists as "TRIGGERED".

if that is OK, check the same process in all 4 corners of the bed. if any don't change from "open" to "Triggered" then you have an intermittent (flex related) break in the probe wire. if they always say "open" or "TRIGGERED" regardless of bed position or state of the read light then you have a permanent fault which can either be a permanent break in the cable or a blown input gate on the board.

PBHQ will normally replace any broken part without question, but its best to get a good idea where the fault lies.

rsoko
Loading filament...

Gotta love Printrbot's support. They are sending a new z-probe soon! They had me do a test to check to see if the board was faulty or the z-probe. Thanks again for the help!!!

Last edited by rsoko on 2015-Mar-Tue-21-Mar, edited 1 time in total.
rsoko
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Mar-Tue-21-Mar

rsoko wrote:Can I simply check the continuity of the z-probe to determine if that is the issue?

Almost certainly, the output of the Z probe is not a switch, it's an active component (a transistor). It's possible to check it with a meter if you hook it up just right, but the M119 command will do the job for you.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby rsoko » 2015-Mar-Tue-21-Mar

Thanks for the help. I emailed printrbot support to see what to do next.

Update:
Turns out it was a bad z-sensor and they are shipping me a new one.

rsoko
Loading filament...

Return to Troubleshooting talk