bulging corners

Troubleshooting talk for software

bulging corners

Postby Snowbound » 2015-Mar-Fri-10-Mar

I've gotten my settings to where I'm getting consistently good prints. My one issue is that non filleted corners bulge out and i haven't figured out the setting for that.

corner issue.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snowbound
Levelling print bed...

bulging corners

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: bulging corners

Postby etxbkst » 2015-Mar-Fri-10-Mar

I'm having the same issue. I've been advised to turn down jerk/acceleration settings, which I did to no avail. I'll be watching your thread closely!

etxbkst
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Mar-Fri-10-Mar

From the picture, that looks like the bulging is happening on one axis only - either the Y axis or the X axis. Is this true? It may be that there's something mechanically loose on the affected axis (belt, setscrew that holds the toothed pulley onto the motor shaft, etc.)

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

That's probably not the best picture. It bulges in both directions, almost like a reverse fillet.

Snowbound
Levelling print bed...

I don't think anything is loose. A couple of times I've gone over it making sure everything was tight and haven't found any problems.

I failed to mention, it's only the vertical corners.

Snowbound
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Mar-Fri-12-Mar

I assume that in your print preview there is no bulging...

It may seem paradoxical, but to some extent using higher acceleration values results in sharper corners. If you get the acceleration too high, you might see "ringing." On the other hand, lower speeds will help improve precision. I don't have a Simple, but there are plenty of people on this forum who have posted reasonable printing speeds for the Simple.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Snowbound » 2015-Mar-Fri-13-Mar

I'll play around with acceleration and speed, thanks. Unfortunately I'm going away for a few days so experimentation will have to wait.

RetireeJay wrote:It may seem paradoxical, but to some extent using higher acceleration values results in sharper corners. If you get the acceleration too high, you might see "ringing." On the other hand, lower speeds will help improve precision. I don't have a Simple, but there are plenty of people on this forum who have posted reasonable printing speeds for the Simple.

Snowbound
Levelling print bed...

Postby Jamie_K » 2015-Mar-Fri-21-Mar

I print at 30mm/s on my Simple Metal, and I saw an improvement when I increased acceleration above the default. I don't remember how high but if the velocity is low enough, then there is no real problem with high acceleration (no missed steps).

I know a lot of people recommend lower acceleration but I think lowering acceleration makes it worse. The reason is that the X/Y/Z axes respond quickly and accurately but the E dimension is sluggish, at least with the hotend that comes with the Simple Metal.

With low acceleration, when approaching a corner the firmware will slow down X and Y and E, and the physical machine will accurately slow down X and Y but E will not slow down as much as requested, so it over-extrudes when approaching a corner. Then after cornering, X and Y accelerate and E is still recovering from trying to slow down and speed up, so it will under-extrude when leaving the corner. Generally I saw the under-extrusion to be less noticeable because it is spread over a larger distance.

High acceleration "fixes" this because the temporary drop in X/Y/E speed when cornering is much shorter and so the sluggish E has much less effect. Best is if extrusion rate can be constant.

The same over/under extrusion problem occurs whenever the speed changes and the extruder is sluggish to respond. So I went a step further and set the infill and perimeter speed to be the same, to avoid extrusion speed changes at the transition.

Jamie_K
I'm an end stop.

Postby Bob-StPaul » 2015-Mar-Sat-00-Mar

Just a simple question - this is happening on more then a single object right? (In other words - it's not the design is it?)

My printer:
Printrbot JR w/ fan and metric threaded rods.
Bob-StPaul
Waiting for printbed temp...

Return to Troubleshooting talk