Repetier Frezeing Mid Print?

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby Vespo111 » 2015-Feb-Sun-15-Feb

So, I started a print, first layers went down fine, but about 30 minutes in, the printer seemed to stop and wait a seccond or two, move a bit, then pause again. This wouldent be a problem unless molten fillament would drizzle out the nozzle on the the print, ruining it. I have my mac set to never stop the hard drive, never sleep, and only let the display sleep every 3 hours. If any one has a soloution I would love to hear it.

Vespo111
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Repetier Frezeing Mid Print?

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Feb-Mon-14-Feb

This is called stringing, at it occurs when the retraction settings are incorrect or the hot end is too hot, allowing filament to ooze out between moves.

Adjust retraction and temperature to fix it, or just use a sharp blade (X-Acto knife, for example) to remove the artifacts.

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Feb-Mon-17-Feb

I'd suspect other activity on his computer is causing it to pause, then start up again. The stringing is from the extruder dribbling while it's twiddling it's thumbs waiting for something else to do.

I use a low powered (by today's standards; it was super fast about 8 years ago...) 17" Everex notebook to run the printer, and printing will pause if I do anything more than casual web surfing of non intensive pages.

Vespo, it's best to mention what type of computer and OS you're using for this type of problem. A core i9 Mac can have different causes then, say, a windows XP single core atom netbook calculating Pi to a zillion decimal places in the background.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby evanalmighty » 2015-Feb-Mon-18-Feb

Mac has hard disk sleep and display sleep. It also has USB sleep that you need to disable. The default sleep timer for USB is 30 minutes so I'm guessing that's what you're dealing with.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby Bob-StPaul » 2015-Feb-Tue-16-Feb

The other thing that might spring into life at 30 minutes is Time Machine backup...

My printer:
Printrbot JR w/ fan and metric threaded rods.
Bob-StPaul
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Feb-Tue-16-Feb

This is ome reason why i now almost exclusivly print from sd card, none of my printers are connected to the computer, they dont have to be within usb cable distance of the desktop, and i can turn off my computer whilst printing. Im using a toshiba flashair wifi enabled sd card to push stuff over to the printers.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Vespo111 » 2015-Feb-Tue-21-Feb

Thanks so much for all the advice, I have set the screen, hard disc, USB, and screen saver sleep to never. All of that seems to have fixed the problem. Getting great, complete prints now! :D

Vespo111
Levelling print bed...

Postby Vespo111 » 2015-Feb-Tue-22-Feb

Mooselake wrote:I'd suspect other activity on his computer is causing it to pause, then start up again. The stringing is from the extruder dribbling while it's twiddling it's thumbs waiting for something else to do.

I use a low powered (by today's standards; it was super fast about 8 years ago...) 17" Everex notebook to run the printer, and printing will pause if I do anything more than casual web surfing of non intensive pages.

Vespo, it's best to mention what type of computer and OS you're using for this type of problem. A core i9 Mac can have different causes then, say, a windows XP single core atom netbook calculating Pi to a zillion decimal places in the background.

Kirk

I've done some testing and concluded that it was the sleep settings, however, I did try some prints with ALL programs (exepct Repetier)

Vespo111
Levelling print bed...

Return to Troubleshooting talk