New board. Motors buzz.

Troubleshooting talk for software

New board. Motors buzz.

Postby qewtr » 2014-Dec-Fri-20-Dec

I recently upgraded my Printrbot Simple Metal with a heated bed. However, I managed to fry my control board in the process.
I've replaced the board, but now none of the motors will move - they just make a buzzing sound. Have I fried them as well?

I get temperature feedback from the hot end (via octoprint on a raspberry pi), and the z axis prox lights up when metal is underneath it, so everything looks ok.
I removed all the heated bed wiring, and am using the original power supply. I disconnected everything except the x axis motor, but still no joy.

qewtr
Waiting to connect to printer...

New board. Motors buzz.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New board. Motors buzz.

Postby Littlebuck416 » 2014-Dec-Fri-21-Dec

Check the currents for your motors on the board. The motors may not be receiving enough power to work.

Littlebuck416
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Dec-Fri-22-Dec

Stepper motors are pretty robust; electrically you just have two coils of wire, that's all. I seriously doubt that it is possible to burn one out with the 12V supply available in a printer system. And if you did, you'd know it: extreme heat, nasty smell, smoke, and blackened wires where they enter the motor.

You say you have a new board. Be sure to check the calibration of steps per mm; if that's way off, then the motors might not be able to keep up with the steps coming to them. As Littlebuck said, check the current controls too. And be sure your wiring is good. It would just take one broken wire (or not-quite-seated contact in a connector at the board) to prevent the motor from turning.

You might also have a power supply problem; see if you can check for a good steady 12V at the board.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby qewtr » 2014-Dec-Sat-05-Dec

Thanks guys.

It was the current settings. M909 revealed they were all zero. Set them all to 50% and everything was moving again.
Plugged the heated bed back in and now everything is working beautifully.

I'm glad it was such an easy fix.

qewtr
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Troubleshooting talk