Z lift before printing

Troubleshooting talk for software

Z lift before printing

Postby andy1979 » 2012-Jun-Tue-21-Jun

I am having problems with Z lifting a few mm before starting every print. Any ideas? I have tried new sketchup designs, reslicing etc.

Thanks
Andy

andy1979
Loading filament...

Z lift before printing

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Z lift before printing

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jun-Wed-10-Jun

That sounds like a slic3r setting gone amuck. There is a setting for z lift. Open up slic3r and make sure you have .35 instead of 3.5 or 3. If this isn't it, maybe attach a gcode file. I bet the problem is there.

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby andy1979 » 2012-Jun-Wed-12-Jun

I only found one place that mentioned Z lift. It was under the retraction settings. Z lift was set to zero. I tried 3 times to upload either the gcode or screenshots and have not been successful.

andy1979
Loading filament...

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jun-Wed-14-Jun

In Slic3r under "Printer and Filament" do you have a value other than 0 fo "Z offset(mm)" Also make sure you have G-code flavor set to Marlin. When I get home I can post a small gcode file for you to try. That will at least tell you if its a printer problem or a setting problem.

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby andy1979 » 2012-Jun-Wed-14-Jun

Both of those values are correct. I am considering a stl file from thingiverse to try. One thought I did have was that my original sketchup file was done in inches while everything is being sliced in mm. Not sure if that can cause a problem...

andy1979
Loading filament...

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jun-Thu-04-Jun

I'm printing this calibration cube right now. If I remember in the morning I'll take a picture to share. Here is the gcode created with slic3r 8.4 to try.

40mmcube.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby additivemfggg » 2012-Jun-Thu-08-Jun

I have this problem too. I only noticed it once I upgraded from 8.2 to 8.3 slic3r. Maybe it's related?

store order #875
additivemfggg
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jun-Thu-10-Jun

Slic3r seems to have more bugs than a dog food factory. I had good prints from 7.2b. I default to that when I start questioning the Gcode.

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby Jason_Read » 2012-Jun-Thu-19-Jun

To make a comparison download the free version of kisslicer and try generating a some gcode with that, that way you will know if its sw or hw that's acting up although I suspect it is software.

Also is your z stop secure if its moving or wobbling it could be the problem (just trying to throw ideas out)

Don't feed the monsters it only encourages them! LC international backer #105
Jason_Read
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby Pilot-PJ » 2012-Jun-Sat-19-Jun

I'm having the same issue. Let us know if your able to resolve it.

printrbot backer #223 LC+
Pilot-PJ
Loading filament...

Postby andy1979 » 2012-Jun-Sat-19-Jun

Well, apparently its a slic3r issue. I downloaded kisslicer and it works. Kisslicer just isnt extruding. I'm going to try to learn kisslicer over the next few nights. New learning curve for kisslicer I guess....

Andy

andy1979
Loading filament...

Postby Jason_Read » 2012-Jun-Sat-20-Jun

If kisslicer is not extruding make sure you have the same number in the prime box as you do in the destring suck box
also if you hover the mouse over any input box in the advanced prefs it will bring up a tool tip
don't forget to copy your calibration block of gcode into the gcode section of kisslicers prefs also and the ending gcode too

failing that if you still have trouble email the guy and he will get back to you quite fast in my experience.

sorry for the lack of punctuation but my fingers are very painful tonight.

Jason_Read

Postby dseidl » 2012-Jul-Tue-14-Jul

I'm also seeing this problem - Slic3r 0.8.4 on MacOS. I'll try the alternate software, but I swear it worked yesterday!

dseidl
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby andy1979 » 2012-Jul-Tue-15-Jul

I tried an earlier version of slic3r (7.2) with the same results, z lifted before print. Kisslicer fixed the problems I was having. Hopefully the next version of slic3r will fix the bug.

Andy

andy1979
Loading filament...

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jul-Tue-17-Jul

I think that a setting is messed up on your computer, else we would all be experiencing the same problem. :-/. Glad you found a workaround. How do you like kisslicer? I've never tried it.

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby extent » 2012-Jul-Tue-17-Jul

If a different slicer works then the problem has to manifest in the gcode, but the only thing I see in that is it lifting one layer height before starting the print (not a few mm). So maybe it's triggering a bug in marlin or something? You could try manually deleting the pre-skirt lift instruction, or get rid of your z offset setting.

backer #48
extent
Printing skirt...

Postby k1nc81d » 2012-Jul-Tue-18-Jul

What I ment to say was, a setting in slic3r is messed up on his computer. Not his computer. Sorry. Slic3r generates the gcode. I'm not a slic3r expert but all three versions work for me and nothing is wrong with the bot as a different slicing program works fine. So the problem exists with slic3r on the computer in question. If kisslicer works, the question becomes do you care enough to continue searching out the problem.

k1nc81d
Printing skirt...

Postby Jason_Read » 2012-Jul-Tue-21-Jul

I find it very useful to have both slic3r and kisslicer as they both seem to have differing strengths and weaknesses and I always dump a new stl into kisslicer first as it hi lights any problem areas in red ect. in full 3d so I can rotate the stl and see exactly where the problem is in the model before a print gets coded even if I then as usual put it into slic3r from there

I have also found that it can handle larger polygon sizes than slic3r by far (slic3r often crashes above 50-80k polys but kisslicer will most often handle them with ease, maybe slic3r will be fixed on this issue but as a custom zbrush sculptor I want my art prints to be as close to the original as possible)

but for most cad type work I use slic3r every time (unless it throws up an problem (not often with cad type files though))

the only limit with the free verssion of kisslicer is only one extruder (not really a problem yet) and only 1 model on the plate at a time (although if you make a multiple object plate in slic3r and export it as an stl you can then load it into kisslicer with no problem, so there is a workaround there)

but I found it so useful I just went ahead and bought it (originally I just wanted to preview my stl files in 3d).

Jason_Read

Postby drawcut » 2012-Jul-Wed-18-Jul

I just noticed that I get a Z lift just prior to start of print. I really never noticed it before but I thought that I was having the same problem. But after some testing with older Slic3r versions (all the same) and and thinking about it some more, I realized that it's just lifting the Z axis by the layer height for the first layer and not an excessive amount like the OP describes.

OP: Do you have the First Layer Height (under Accuracy on the Print Settings tab) set to something different than your layer height (or 100%)?

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby dseidl » 2012-Jul-Wed-21-Jul

Did you find a kisslicer tutorial? I'm finding it difficult to find instructions or a tutorial to get going.

drawcut: mine with the same issue is set to:

First layer height 0.4 (I've tried .4, .2, .3), and first layer height is 100%.

dseidl

Postby dseidl » 2012-Jul-Wed-21-Jul

Well, I found my issue - my bed had shifted out of level. I'm back to printing!

dseidl

Return to Troubleshooting talk