slic3r settings do not change the gcode.

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby Ethan » 2013-Aug-Fri-18-Aug

I have been having some issues with the quality of prints. When I try to slow the printrbot plus down in the configure options in slicer, the gcode the repetier spits out is the same as always; too fast. I cant adjust any other settings either, like vibration threshold or extruder temperature.

I would like to get to the point where I can actually make prints but that's really hard if I can't change the settings.

Thanks for your time!

Ethan
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: slic3r settings do not change the gcode.

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Aug-Fri-18-Aug

When you use Slic3r from within Repetier, and you want to change the configuration, you have to follow a multi-step procedure:

1) Click on the Slicer "Configure" button
2) Make your changes in the Slic3r Configuration window that comes up
3) Save your changes on each of the three tabs in Slic3r, giving your new configurations names that you can remember
4) Exit the Slic3r configuration screen and return to Repetier
5) Now in Repetier, select the configurations that you just saved, in the "Print Settings", "Printer Settings", and "Extruder 1" selection boxes.

When you actually do the slicing, you have no visibility of what settings are in use.

This is why I always use Slic3r by itself. I can see and adjust the settings with full visibility and save the G-code as a file that I then open with Repetier. I can even look at it in Repetier and if I don't like what I see, I can re-adjust the Slic3r settings easily because I never closed out Slic3r. It still has my STL loaded, and it still has the last settings that I used ready to modify and try again.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Ethan » 2013-Aug-Sat-15-Aug

I apologize for my ineptness, but:
Can I just save the three tabs under the same name?

I go configure>printer settings> ?

I cant find where to select my settings could you please explain step five in more depth?

Thank you so much!

Ethan
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Aug-Sat-20-Aug

OK, here it is step by step. First is the Repetier screen for Slic3r.
Step 1 is to click on the Configure button.
RepetierScreenForSlic3rConfigMarked.jpg

That takes you to the Slic3r Configuration program.
(Notice that the Slic3r Configuration has Three TABs, "Print Settings" "Filament Settings" and "Printer Settings" and inside each of these three tabs there are multiple lines with options, so there are dozens and dozens of options you can modify.)

Step 2 is to make changes as desired in the right-hand part of the screen. Remember to select sub-headings from the column in white on the left to completely control all the options for that tab. (Really, it's 2A, 2B, 2C because there are 3 TABS)
Slic3rPrintSettingsTabMarked.jpg

Step 3 (really 3A, 3B, 3C) is to save the configuration for each tab, using a name that you can remember. You certainly could use the same name in each case, nothing prevents that.

Step 4 is to quit the Slic3r configuration program. If you have saved as you should, you won't get any warning messages about unsaved settings.

Step 5 is back on the Repetier screen, to select the configurations that you saved in Step 3.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Ethan » 2013-Aug-Wed-10-Aug

The pictures helped me a lot. Now that I got to this stage, the three drop-down menus are not select-able (this was while the printer was hooked up to the computer and turned on.

I opened the slic3r configuration and setup windows to show that I did the other steps and to give more information if possible

I the image is attached

Thanks again!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ethan
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Aug-Wed-11-Aug

The path that you're using for the Repetier configuration files looks different from mine.
On my system, it is
c:\Users\Jay\AppData\Local\RepetierHost.
You are showing
...\AppData\Roaming\Repetier Host Dump File...

So, maybe you should try blanking out the specification of where to find the files and let Repetier find the files automatically.
And on top of that you might need to un-install Repetier completely and download & re-install it from the web site.
I think you are very very close to success here! :D

Surely your layer height of 0.00001mm is not anything you intend to actually use. ;)

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Ethan » 2013-Aug-Fri-09-Aug

THAT DID IT! just deleting that one line fixed everything.

the .00000(ect)1 mm layer height was a friends idea because he thought it would just do it as small as the printer could print.

first print was the classic jaws.

THANK YOU!!

Ethan
Loading filament...

Postby allanonmage » 2013-Dec-Mon-13-Dec

RetireeJay wrote:When you use Slic3r from within Repetier, and you want to change the configuration, you have to follow a multi-step procedure:

1) Click on the Slicer "Configure" button
2) Make your changes in the Slic3r Configuration window that comes up
3) Save your changes on each of the three tabs in Slic3r, giving your new configurations names that you can remember
4) Exit the Slic3r configuration screen and return to Repetier
5) Now in Repetier, select the configurations that you just saved, in the "Print Settings", "Printer Settings", and "Extruder 1" selection boxes.

When you actually do the slicing, you have no visibility of what settings are in use.

You forgot to mention sacrifice a virgin*.

RetireeJay wrote:This is why I always use Slic3r by itself. I can see and adjust the settings with full visibility and save the G-code as a file that I then open with Repetier. I can even look at it in Repetier and if I don't like what I see, I can re-adjust the Slic3r settings easily because I never closed out Slic3r. It still has my STL loaded, and it still has the last settings that I used ready to modify and try again.

That's what I do now too.

* By sacrifice I mean deflower. No sense killing anyone, and I'm pretty sure that's what they did back in the day anyways, or maybe that's what it started with and then morphed into killing. Else, why care if they were a virgin? They could kill anybody.

Started with a Printrbot LC Kit; now it's a monster as big as a mid size fridge!
Single ATX Power supply, 650 watts, relay controlled heat bed
extra Z height (3+ ft) via longer rods, but I don't use it. Yet. To reduce wobble, I'm using thing:46082 under the Printrbot.
Dual heated beds, 1 currently working; space for a 3rd
Purple gluestick on glass seems to be sticky enough to get adhesion
FB album with pics: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ec287e8726

This was supposed to be a tool, not a series of projects... grrrrr......
allanonmage
Layer 100 of 1234

Return to Troubleshooting talk