Varying Z height for Support?

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby pbtalkAM » 2018-Mar-Tue-00-Mar

I want the first 11 layers (which has support) to print with Z height of 0.3mm, and the rest of the 150 layers (which has support as well) to print with a Z height of 0.7mm (I am printing at 0.3mm layer height).

Is what I'm asking for possible? I took a look at the G Code and it all looks hardcoded (i.e. built right into the movement commands). I'm concerned if I try to splice in extra lines it will break it.

pbtalkAM
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Varying Z height for Support?

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2018-Mar-Tue-01-Mar

Slic3r Prusa Edition supports variable layer height.

cbxbiker61
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby pbtalkAM » 2018-Mar-Tue-14-Mar

I'm not asking for varying layer Height, but, specifically, Z Offset for Support.

I want the first 11 Layers, all which have support, to print with .3mm offset, and then the next 149 layers, to print with .6mm offset. I still want all layers of the actual print to be 0.3mm, and the layer size of the Support to be 0.3mm, but I want to change that OFFSET on the Support.

Does that make sense or am I more confusing?

pbtalkAM
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2018-Mar-Fri-17-Mar

Do you mean you want the support in close for the lower layers, and further out (or further apart) for the higher ones? Why, as in what are you trying to accomplish rather than how?

Take a look at Meshmixer, or maybe Cura's new support mode, and see if either can accomplish the result (not necessarily method) that you want. With Meshmixer you would generate an stl file with the support included, then slice it separately with your favorite program.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Troubleshooting talk