Simple Pro Z height offset ??

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby IB3D » 2018-Jan-Tue-12-Jan

With the Simple Metal I've always been able to physically set the proximity sensor height to enable zero offset for printing. On this new Pro with the spring steel heated bed held in place by magnets when I position the hot end tip with slight bed contact and then adjust the probe height to trigger the probe's light as I would with the Metal; the result is the machine wants to print 3mm too high, which in turn forces me to go into the console and set Z offset @ -3.mm for correct printing height. Why am I unable to find a probe position allowing for zero offset? Are the rare earth magnets and spring steel contributing to this or is this a firmware issue?

Let me add on this Pro printer I've noticed it takes a good deal more z height lift after setting the probe to turn off the sensing lamp than with the Metal. Could this issues be a defective probe?

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Simple Pro Z height offset ??

Postby ktfergus » 2018-Jan-Tue-14-Jan

Let me add on this Pro printer I've noticed it takes a good deal more z height lift after setting the probe to turn off the sensing lamp than with the Metal.

I believe if the bed is steel the probe will detect it "sooner", i.e. farther away than the aluminum beds. Thus, it will need to raise higher to un-trigger. When I switched to steel beds, one of the advantages was this increased distance ; I can physically raise the probe away from the bed & it's much less likely to hit debris as a part prints.

As for the .3mm offset difference, I'm not sure. However, as long as you correct for it as you've done thru the software, getting the actual offset to zero isn't really necessary. Each of my printers has a different offset due to slight differences in probe height, nozzle size, etc.

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1503 (Play) :: 100mm x 100mm DIY Heated bed
Latest Project :: Sisyphus Whirligig
ktfergus
Printing skirt...

Postby IB3D » 2018-Jan-Tue-14-Jan

ktfergus wrote:I believe if the bed is steel the probe will detect it "sooner", i.e. farther away than the aluminum beds. Thus, it will need to raise higher to un-trigger.

If I set the probe height to trigger with the hot end tip just making contact on the bed surface as I've done, wouldn't the need to raise the Z height higher to untrigger be moot with regard to the z offset setting? Isn't is just the probe triggering that sets the Z height or is it also dependent on the subsequent untriggering?

IB3D

Postby IB3D » 2018-Jan-Sat-10-Jan

Visited the local Makerspace (previous home to MRRF) Thursday in hopes of obtaining insight as to why I have never succeeded with USB printing connection on this Pro. The bad news is it's still not printing via USB; the good news is these guys who were previously unknown to me were willing to set down and go over this issue for quite some time. That and I feel a little less foolish for my lack of success, if it befuddled more intelligent persons than myself.

Had previously attempted printing with CURA 2.3.1, but find my WIN 8.1 laptop unwilling to work with any version of CURA newer than 15.04.4 regardless of which printer (Simple Pro or Simple Metal) I've attempted to print with. Then reverted back to 15.04.4 using the plug-in found on Github https://github.com/Printrbot/cura-simple2016-plugin, still no success with the Pro.

Have a WIN 10 laptop on the way with hope it will overcome the CURA 2.3.1 issue and will proceed from there. Should that fail, the Makerspace guys have a MAC available and offered to flash the board next week. This was purchased new Black Friday with the heated bed and "should "already have the current firmware. It prints via the "Cloud", but who really desires that with all it's limitations?

Any other suggestions ??

IB3D

Postby ktfergus » 2018-Jan-Tue-11-Jan

Yes, un-triggering the probe is moot after the machine is "zeroed". I was just trying to illustrate the increased distance from the bed, sorry for the confusion.

As for connection issues, have you tried using Repetier Host? I'm really glad Printrbot was still using it when I got my first Simple. The interface may not be as pretty as Cura, but the control you have over the machine is much better, & more intuitive to me.

-Kelly

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
ktfergus
Printing skirt...

Postby IB3D » 2018-Jan-Tue-21-Jan

Repetier-Host was attempted at the Makerspace without success. After reading content which implied the Celeron laptops I had could be the issue, I got another laptop today with an i5 processor. It did successfully load and run 2.3.1 and printed via USB the first time just fine, on subsequent attempts it wanted to print too high. Thinking it could be an intermittent probe issue, I then immediately printed from the printer's console UI without problem using the same Z height offset. Am using printrbot's recommended start/end Gcode found here with my -2.9 offset inserted: https://printrbot.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002992746-Printing-with-the-Heated-Bed-via-USB-on-Your-Simple-Pro

The Makerspace has a MAC and offered it's use to reflash the printer board, that's a task above my pay grade and before doing so want to ensure it's the last resort.

I received the package today ktfergus, thank-you

IB3D

Postby ktfergus » 2018-Jan-Wed-12-Jan

I received the package today ktfergus, thank-you

Nice! Hope they come in handy.

ktfergus
Printing skirt...

Return to Troubleshooting talk