Metal Plus: Does Autolevel Cycle, but does not autolevel

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby DaedalusMinor » 2017-Dec-Wed-23-Dec

So I've had this Printrbot Metal Plus (1504) for about three years now, and after trying to print something again, it changed its pre-print setup. It checked the 3 points like usual, but then it lifted a few mm off the bed and then started the print, as opposed to just going straight to the print place and compensating in lifting the extruder in the z-axis.

I've checked the autolevel probe and it seems to detect metal anywhere, and it does not affect the probe on whether I move the wires around to check for any disconnection. No change was made to the gcode prior to the print where it all started.

I've tried reflashing the firmware on the REV F5 board, but came out with the same result. Although Printrbot's instructions do seem rather outdated.

Is this necessarily a problem with software, such as outdated firmware? If so, is there some fool-safe guide on how to update it? Or is it hardware?

Please let me know if you have encountered the same problem and how you fixed it.

DaedalusMinor
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Metal Plus: Does Autolevel Cycle, but does not autolevel

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Dec-Thu-07-Dec

It's almost certainly not a problem with the firmware, and I hope that in re-flashing your board you were able to use the exact same firmware that you were using originally.

Use the M119 command to check the status of the sensor as seen by the board. If it's always triggered (or never triggered) then you probably have a broken wire between the board and the probe, or the probe itself is bad. It's pretty common for the wires between the probe and the board to develop internal breaks due to "fatigue" - bending back and forth at a point. The wires can be spliced if you're handy with a soldering gun and heat-shrink tubing, or you can replace the whole probe including the wires attached.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Re: Metal Plus: Does Autolevel Cycle, but does not autolevel

Postby DaedalusMinor » 2017-Dec-Fri-10-Dec

Although that wasn’t the issue, I did look at the probe and replace it with a new one. No issues now except from a grinding noise across the x axis, and it’s probably electrical because there are no sounds when sliding by hand. Anyways thank you for helping narrowing down the problems!

DaedalusMinor
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Troubleshooting talk