Newbie needing help. Printrbot Metal Plus doesn't respond.

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby Jonglen » 2017-Jan-Mon-01-Jan

I'm still learning the ins and outs of electronic hardware. My Printrbot's power supply died. I've tried a couple other power supplies but neither my laptop or desktop detects any input when I plug in the printer. My printer wasn't even a year old when it died and I've only been able to print a handful of things but now it's out of warranty and im tired of looking at a broken printer. Any ideas as to what else could be the problem? I'm pretty desperate to getting it to work again.

Jonglen
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Newbie needing help. Printrbot Metal Plus doesn't respon

Postby ianadan » 2017-Jan-Mon-03-Jan

okay, without the power supply connected to the printer, does the power supply fan spin? It's an ATX, so there needs to be a wire bridging two pins to make it provide power. If you look at the one that died, you should see the wire where, on the 24 pin connector.

Check that first

Metal Printrbot Plus (Dual Extruder)
Metal Printrbot Simple (X and Z Expansion)
Metal Printrbot Simple
Printrbot Play (Heated Bed)
Printrbot Play
Metal Printrbot Simple (Paste Extruder)
Metal Printrbot Plus
ianadan
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Jan-Mon-07-Jan

Whether you're using a laptop brick, an ATX supply, or an "LED" supply, you can always tell if your board is receiving power by looking at the green LED on the Printrboard. That LED is not controlled by software; it's hard-wired to the 5V supply that is locally generated on the board from the incoming 12V power. If your USB cable is NOT plugged in, and you can see the LED lit up, it's for certain that your 12V supply is giving the board power. (I say to have the USB cable not plugged in for this check because the USB cable can also carry 5V onto the board, depending on certain conditions.)

If you're using an ATX supply, then iandan is entirely correct: the fan inside the ATX supply should be turning as an indication that it's alive and providing power (although the fan in my printer's ATX supply is so quiet that I can't really hear it over the noise of the other fans on my desktop computer sitting next to the printer).

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Jonglen » 2017-Jan-Tue-03-Jan

I picked up an ATX power supply but the fan doesn't spin up when it's on. I figured it was for power-saving when the internal temperature didn't call for needing a fan yet. As for the Printrboard, there doesn't seem to be an LED lighting up. Do you guys think whatever took out my stock power supply also took out the board?

Jonglen
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Jan-Tue-07-Jan

ianadan wrote:It's an ATX, so there needs to be a wire bridging two pins to make it provide power. If you look at the one that died, you should see the wire where, on the 24 pin connector.

If an ATX supply does not have a jumper between a green wire and a black wire (on the big 24-pin linear connector) then it doesn't come alive. So far, the lack of this jumper is sufficient to explain all the symptoms (ATX fan not running and no green light on Printrboard, and no activity from the Printrboard). If you do have the jumper in place, then it's looking a bit more complex. But it's extremely unlikely that your Printrboard "died" in such a horrible way that it shorts out the new ATX supply and forces it to shut down.

Let's check one other thing, though. Is your Printrboard a Rev D or a Rev F? The Rev D has a 4-pin header for power coming in from the ATX supply; the Rev F has a 6-pin header. If (as is likely) you have the Rev F, it is physically possible for you to plug a 4-pin connector from the ATX supply into the 6-pin header, but that would be wrong and it would short out the ATX supply. (That probably won't cause permanent damage, but that depends on the quality of the safety override in the ATX supply.) You must use a 6-pin connection from the ATX to plug into the Rev F board. In the unlikely event that your particular ATX supply doesn't have a 6-pin connector available, then you will need to obtain a jumper from Printrbot or elsewhere that lets you connect the supply to the board properly.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Troubleshooting talk