Help printer no longer connects to pc

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby carre55 » 2016-Oct-Mon-09-Oct

Hi folks I've had a break from fiddling with my printrbot metal plus for a couple of months and thought I'd get back into it now winter approaches and can not connect via USB just keeps saying closed after trying any ideas what I need to focus on to get back into it is it because cura is a newer version then the included download
Thanks paul

We can't all be perfect but if your from Lancashire your pretty close to Yorkshire were people are
carre55
Waiting for extruder temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Help printer no longer connects to pc

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Oct-Mon-09-Oct

Make sure you're using the correct com port. Cura might include an automatic selection option (Repetier-Host does), or you might need to try until you find the right one. The Windows Device Manager (hold down the Windows key, then type X and find it in the list) should also help ID the port.

Do you get the ta-dings when you plug/unplug the cable?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby carre55 » 2016-Oct-Mon-10-Oct

No no noise tried several USB slots tried auto and the other settings

We can't all be perfect but if your from Lancashire your pretty close to Yorkshire were people are
carre55

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Oct-Mon-10-Oct

Is the green light on the Printrboard lit up? It doesn't tell you very much, because it's not under firmware control, but at least it does tell you that there is power on the board.

Do you have anything else that you can connect to your computer using the same USB cable - to check the cable's integrity? When you connect anything else to the computer via USB, do you hear the "ba-ding"? If you bring up the Device Manager screen, does it "refresh" itself when you plug in the Printrboard? If so, try to find exactly what shows up. You might need to run the "teensy" COM port installer again; sometimes Windows updates make the computer forget that it's been told to treat the Printrboard as a virtual COM port connected on a USB port.

Is the USB cable plugged into the board all the way? Is the USB connector on the board secure and not pulling away from the board?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby carre55 » 2016-Oct-Mon-13-Oct

At work so can't try till 2morrow
However thanks for the pointers as where to start
Regards paul

carre55

Postby carre55 » 2016-Oct-Tue-10-Oct

Thanks guys turns out one of my power pack plugs was duff and when I replugged it all back together (different plug it works as should
regards
Paul

carre55

Return to Troubleshooting talk