Printrboard rev d bootloader flash

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby Kevin37 » 2016-Sep-Thu-14-Sep

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I'm new to this and I need some help. I bought a 3d pringer with a printrboard rev d circuit board and it shorted. So I needed to replace the microcontroller (atmel 90usb1286).
I have done this successfully but now I am challenged with loading the bootloader and I am stuck. I got the pc to recognize the board usin the atmel flip drivers but keep getting an error when trying to load the hex file (address is out of range) this is my first time using this product and I am lost. I also tried to do it via usbtinyisp I bought off amazon but that fails to even register being hooked up to the pc and I also have never used avrdude and again am also lost. The only thing I have used is arduino ideand all the youtube videos aND Web content are confusing. I have posted pictures of the printrboard and the usbtinyisp I am using, any help would be appreciated. Thank you

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin37
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrboard rev d bootloader flash

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Sep-Thu-15-Sep

The ICSP module that you got is different from the one that I got (Geppetto Electronics), so I'm not sure how it should act. Maybe it gets power from the board instead of from the USB cable? Mine has a switch to select whether the MCU expects to be programmed with 3.3V or 5V, and I think the AT90USP1286 expects 3.3V. I don't see a switch on your board; do you know which voltage it uses?

I know on the ICSP that I got, it was very difficult for me to figure out which way around to plug the ICSP into the board. There's a 50% chance of getting it wrong. (Oh, and by the way, I think my MCU was partially fried; I couldn't successfully program it either with FLIP or with the ICSP, so I don't have a complete success story to relate.)

I think the Rev D board you got is a cheap clone, not an original Printrbot one (although the design is open-source, so anyone can make them legally). Some clone boards have proven to be unreliable, for example having insufficient copper thickness in the traces delivering power to the hot end and heated bed.

And speaking of the hot end and heated bed, where are the MOSFET transistors Q1 and Q2 for driving them? Are they inserted from the back side of the board, or have they been completely cut off the board? Or never installed?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Thu-18-Sep

The module you show is a generic copy of a USBtinyISP, turn it over and it might have a name silk screened on the bottom that you can google. I just got one that looks like it off eBay for an Arduino (not printrboard) project, but haven't tried it yet. Mine has the signal names silkscreened on the bottom, so you should be able to match them up with the printrboard diagram (google...). Googling USBtinyISP finds lots of info, and I believe there have been some users here that have reprogrammed their (official) Printrboards with it. There's two ATMega bootloaders. The one commonly used with the Arduino IDE (the CDC bootloader) will only support 64K. Marlin is bigger than that so you need the DFU bootloader; the last time I looked it up that's the one that came preinstalled, which doesn't explain your bad address error.

Just what firmware image are you using? Where did it come from? Perhaps it's bad or not for this board.

Good catch on the MOSFETs RJ; if you zoom in it sure looks like they've been cut off.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetech made two different clone boards, one two layer (which was cr*p), and a multi-layer that was better. My red one is the two layer board, easy to tell if you shine a light through it - you'll see it go through the circuit board, where the 4 layer has copper in the middle.

The best place to put that board might be the circular file, particularly if the MOSFETS have met the diagonal cutter of doom; in that case chuck it and go to a RAMPS (or other) setup. Shame after you replaced the MCU. If you're adventurous try replacing he MOSFETS, too, but don't waste time on that unless you can get it programmed.

Interestingly, several years ago I picked up a too cheap to pass on (so I thought) printrboard clone direct from Geeetech, just to have a spare on hand. At that time the real printrboards were $129 (iirc). Never used it, still sealed in the original antistatic bag.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Kevin37 » 2016-Sep-Fri-07-Sep

Thank you guys for the quick response, I do have the Mosfet's and intend to install them later on today but I was a little more concerned in flashing the bootloader. I am new to 3d printing and received this twoup clone for free and just happened to hit a hick up! I have been searching Google for the last to days and decided to suck up my pride and ask for help before I thrown it against the wall!

On another note, I have found the silk screen and will do further research on drivers and such but if you all could point me at least in the right direction to look for a somewhat detailed guide as to how to flash the bootloader it would be greatly appreciated. Everything I have found has been real vague as far as where to place the hex file, do I use the usbtinyisp in conjunction with flip, and even more vague on how to flash via cmd with avrdude. The wiki on the printrboard rev d is not the most comprehensive guide to follow!

Kevin37

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Fri-07-Sep

Ah, the 2^ from the infamous (and multinamed) QU-BD. They burned me for a couple grand on their RPM, shipped a very incomplete box-o-parts, including no spindle. They did send me a 1^, also incomplete and unusable, as partial compensation. That's also my second spare printrboard, this ones the multilayer geeetech.

They have a forum at fabric8r.com (where I'm the de-spam moderator since before the RPM episode). You can get some help on the mechanics there, but they've switched to RAMPS. You can make the 2^ work OK, not in the same class as a Printrbot but usable.

Try Adafruit's USBtinyISP tutorial. Iirc AVRDude might be command line, but af should explain it.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Kevin37 » 2016-Sep-Fri-14-Sep

Thank you Kirk IL shoot overy tof those Web site now.

Kevin37

Postby Kevin37 » 2016-Sep-Fri-19-Sep

Ok I've got everything situated I just do not know where to place the hex file in windows 7 in order for it to be the correct file path for AVRdude. I can only seem to find the pat for Mac.

Kevin37

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Sep-Fri-21-Sep

This page seems to explain it. http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/avrdude.html
Basically, you can probably put the hex file anywhere you want, but it will be easiest to keep the path short. Very short. In their example, they put it in the root of the c: drive, so there is no path, just the file name.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Kevin37 » 2016-Sep-Sat-17-Sep

So, I read through that article and I placed the hex file at the root of the C drive and now avrdude is giving me an error. I posted pictures below of the first and after I gave this command (avrdude -c usbtiny -p at90usb1286 -v
And that's when I got the second error in the second picture. I feel as though I'm not making any headway. Sorry the pictures show upside down but if you click on them the show right side up!
20160910_173701.jpg

20160910_173717.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin37

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Sep-Sat-18-Sep

Well, it looks like avrdude is not recognizing the programmer you have. There's a configuration file associated with avrdude, and hopefully the place you bought your programmer can tell you what should be in the configuration file.

Also, it will be a lot easier for you to record screen shots if you use the Windows "Snipping Tool" (%windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe). When you snip a portion of the screen, you have to save it as a JPG or PNG file somewhere before you can upload it to the forum.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Sat-18-Sep

rc=-1 means that avrdude can talk to the programmer, but the programmer can't talk to the chip, according to the help for ada's fruity guide. Perhaps it's time to revisit the cable being on the right way, and follow the other suggestions in the guide.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Kevin37 » 2016-Sep-Sun-14-Sep

I have followed everything to a third and can't seem to get it to burn the bootloader. While connected it still shows at90usb1286 DFU, I'm assuming that when the board shorted the MCU was not the only thing that got damaged. I'm going to try flashing the MCU directly, I found the pinout and if I can get it to work I wI'll opload the firmware and see if all is well. I only have a mutiny meter so I am limited astory the amount of tests I can do this seems like the most logical in my case. Thank you all for your help

Kevin37

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Sep-Sun-14-Sep

If you're interested make me an offer via PM for my red geeetech board, plus shipping. The antistatic bag has never been opened iirc (at work...), So it's never been tested or even powered up.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Troubleshooting talk