Rev D Firmware

Troubleshooting talk for software

Rev D Firmware

Postby woodworks » 2016-Jun-Fri-14-Jun

Hi all!
I've been having issues with my Rev D board recently, so I tried updating the firmware. Downloading the latest firmware straight form the printrbot website, there is clearly something wrong with homing the Y and Z axis. I'm assuming this is because of the auto-leveling probe, and my version didn't come with one. (Either that or its simply the wrong firmware for the wrong board.)

Anyways, I've been looking for the right firmware for my Rev D board, and I haven't had any luck. Doing a quick search on this forum also ran into a dead end. Does anyone know where I can find the right firmware for my board? Any help would be fantastic! Thanks guys! :D

For reference I have the classic Printrbot Plus thats made of wood and I'm currently using Repetier Host V1.6.1

woodworks
Waiting to connect to printer...

Rev D Firmware

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Rev D Firmware

Postby plexus » 2016-Jun-Fri-15-Jun

I have a wood KS plus as well. let me see if i have a copy of the firmware around. this would be an older version. its the version i run on my PB. I haven't bothered to upgrade it for 2 reasons: a) "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and b) fear of falling into a firmware rabbit hole.

I think this is the one I am using. This is the "fresh" unedited version I downloaded. You'll likely have to tweek it for your PB.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plexus
Site Admin

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Jun-Fri-16-Jun

+1 on Plexus answer.

Just in case you have trouble with the version he provided, Printrbot's versions of firmware source code can be found here: https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/releases; many are for Rev F boards now, but if you scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "Next" you can find the "Unified" version. Like Plexus, I also have a wooden Plus, and I also was using the Unified firmware until my Rev D board died. Now I have a Rev F board, so I had to use matching firmware. I described the differences between Rev D and Rev F here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10715

By the way, also check out this thread about a better way to edit and compile: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10160

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby woodworks » 2016-Jun-Fri-17-Jun

Hey guys, thanks for the quick reply! I'm having troubles following the instructions in the read-me file, and I cant find this "For gen6/gen7 and sanguinololu the Sanguino directory in the Marlin dir needs to be copied to the arduino environment. copy ArduinoAddons\Arduino_x.x.x\sanguino <arduino home>\hardware\Sanguino"

Is there a fool proof "how to" on how to install this new firmware? I was able to do the hex file no problem, but this maybe too complicated for me... If it does work I'll be ecstatic! Thanks again guys!

woodworks
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby frankv » 2016-Jun-Fri-18-Jun

Check this thread... http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=595&hilit=+rev+d

The last post is my summary of how to reflash Rev D firmware (albeit for Linux), but it does tell you where to find the files.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Jun-Fri-20-Jun

woodworks wrote: I'm having troubles following the instructions in the read-me file, and I cant find this "For gen6/gen7 and sanguinololu the Sanguino directory in the Marlin dir needs to be copied to the arduino environment. copy ArduinoAddons\Arduino_x.x.x\sanguino <arduino home>\hardware\Sanguino"

I don't think Sanguino has anything to do with Marlin for the Printrboard. I think Sanguino is a different board altogether (but I may be wrong). I had a write-up in the Printrbottalk Wiki (click the red-white-and beige button next to the "Search" box at the top of the screen) - but while it may be helpful in orienting you, I'm afraid the information on specific steps is out of date.

The PlatformIO thread that I referenced in a previous post in this thread gives you an option for compiling without using the Arduino editor and compiler. There is a lot of information in that thread, and I freely admit it's not well organized (that's the nature of a forum dialog) - but if you stick with it, all the info you need is there.

One of the first things you need to do in "Configuration.h" is to make sure you've selected the appropriate motherboard. That may be why you are seeing references to Sanguino. Search through the motherboard selections and choose (uncomment) the one for Printrboard. (I believe the Unified firmware was written before the Rev F board came out. For anyone with a Rev F board, they need to go to Printrbot's Github folder and get a version designed for Rev F.)

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Tdeagan » 2016-Aug-Sun-13-Aug

Gasp. I'm hoping to achieve two things with my Rev D. Printrboard on my circa 2013 wooden Printrbot Plus;
1) Support an E3D hot end (purchased and in route)
2) Support an auto-leveling probe (considering, but not yet purchased)
The internwebs lead me to believe that #2 will require an upgrade to my firmware and #1 will require me to modify the firmware thermistor setting.
My current firmware version (returned via M115,) is: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:http://www.mendel-parts.com PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Mendel-P EXTRUDER_COUNT:3

I last upgraded to support multiple extruders & LCD a couple years ago, but stopped printing for the last 18 months or so and no longer have all the details in my head.

After days of googling, I am still baffled at what version of firmware I should use. Here's the notes I've made:
A) https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/releases :: no longer exists, now https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/ with no versions, is there a stash out there other than archive.org (see (B))
B) archive.org has a copy of https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/releases, but it does not have a copy of what should be returned from clicking the 'Next' button at the bottom (which RetireeJay suggested would provide access to the 'Unified' appropriate for the Rev. D.
C) I found: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vr95m92an5p94 ... ied-v2.hex from an August 2, 2013 Printrbot tweet, but am not confident that it supports the more recent features I want. Is this what (B) was trying to get to?
D) The Marlin site - https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin - offers Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 and stable 1.0.2-1, but Printrbot typically uses the lincolnmatic fork, should I go mainline?
E) I've got a RAMPS 1.4 board, I could bail on the Rev D/ExtrudrBoard combo

I'd appreciate anyone who finds this SOS and has a viable path, or could provide an informed opinion on A-E above.

Thanks in advance,
--tim

Tim Deagan
KC5QFG
(optional Dual Extrusion) Printrbot Plus V1 [3/2013]
bed stabilizers, bed levelers, Y & X belt tensioners,
50mm fan mount, LED ring light, Z-axis screw Isolators,
Z-shaft stabilizers,optional Bowden conversion, GT2 belts/pulleys,
M8x1.25 Z Screws, Flex. Z-couplers,
RAMPS 1.4 w/ LCD,
Quick Change Extruders:
Option 1- Dual hybrid geared Wade's/Bowden w/ 3mm & 1.75mm Ubis,
Option 2 - Dual direct geared Wade's w/ 3mm & 1.75mm Ubis
Option 3 - Single geared Wade's w/ 3mm or 1.75mm Ubis
Option 4 - Single belt drive Wade's w/ E3D
MIC-6 metal bed
Thingiverse Profile: http://www.thingiverse.com/tdeagan/designs
Tdeagan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Aug-Sun-15-Aug

Actually, github.com/Printrbot/Marlin does have several releases. Just click on the "17 releases" button.
PrintrbotGithub.PNG

The Unified version doesn't support auto-leveling probes. Printrtbot versions support setting the print volume in EEPROM; mainstream Marlin didn't the last time I checked. But mainstream Marlin will work on Printrbots as long as you specify the correct board and set up your options correctly.

You may also find Plexus' link here useful: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11090

Also check these out: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10716&p=69153 and viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10160&p=66394

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2016-Aug-Sun-15-Aug

Last year, I recorded where I found various useful Firmware update resources in this thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=595#p61082 -- hopefully it's still useful.

Maybe you could update that thread with correct links.

Rev D firmware comes in 2 versions... with and without auto-leveling support. However, IMHO auto-leveling isn't worth the trouble.

You could probably use your current firmware unmodified with your E3D... all that would happen is that the temperature would be misread. If (e.g.) you found that your E3D thermistor was showing 250 when the actual temperature was 190, then you would print PLA at "250".

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Aug-Sun-16-Aug

Better yet just order the same thermistor as the Ubis and put it in the E3D. Forget about the aliens, make RJ's dial adapter, keep the same firmware, and Bob's your uncle (whatever that really means...).

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Tdeagan » 2016-Aug-Sun-17-Aug

I took the wimp's way out.

I went ahead and spent the afternoon hacking the RAMPS 1.4 into the Printrbot. My foray back into the world of the Printrboard rev.D made me feel like I was trying to do vintage restoration on one of my project cars. The RAMPS 1.4 at least still feels like a current model, the rev.D is clearly supplanted by the rev.F boards.

I'll hang my head in shame (the resulting hardware hack is far from pretty https://twitter.com/TimDeagan/status/770018408960253953,) thank you all for your help!!!!

--t

Tim Deagan
KC5QFG
(optional Dual Extrusion) Printrbot Plus V1 [3/2013]
bed stabilizers, bed levelers, Y & X belt tensioners,
50mm fan mount, LED ring light, Z-axis screw Isolators,
Z-shaft stabilizers,optional Bowden conversion, GT2 belts/pulleys,
M8x1.25 Z Screws, Flex. Z-couplers,
RAMPS 1.4 w/ LCD,
Quick Change Extruders:
Option 1- Dual hybrid geared Wade's/Bowden w/ 3mm & 1.75mm Ubis,
Option 2 - Dual direct geared Wade's w/ 3mm & 1.75mm Ubis