[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Cura doesn't support Printrbot

Cura doesn't support Printrbot

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby cyborg5 » 2015-Jul-Mon-16-Jul

Just unboxed my brand-new Printrbot Metal Plus and tried to load Cura latest version for windows. Apparently it doesn't support Printrbot anymore. Presumably I need to download one of the older versions. Also tried to load the Getting Started.ini file from the file open menu as the beginner's guide suggests. No joy there either.

I love my new Printrbot but for now it's a $1000 paperweight.

cyborg5
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Cura doesn't support Printrbot

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jul-Mon-16-Jul

Although Brook turned up his nose at Repetier Host because it's no longer open-source, it is a fine and free way to control your machine. It can call Cura, Slic3r, or Skeinforge.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby IB3D » 2015-Jul-Mon-17-Jul

You still have the option of loading CURA 15.02.1. and the getting started file which can be accessed from here still downloads, or am I missing something?

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby cyborg5 » 2015-Jul-Mon-17-Jul

I wasn't sure if loading the Getting Started file into a and configured Cura would work. I'm just following the instructions on the Printrbot website and it tells me that I should be able to configure directly for Printrbot Metal Plus. I went back to the Cura website and loaded version 14.whatever and it seemed to configure okay.

I tried the test print of little block and the tip crashed as it started to print. Not really knowing what this thing should sound like having never had one before, I didn't realize it was crashing until it had torn up the kapton coating on the bed. I was under the impression that the factory calibration was deliberately set so that the first print would not crash. So I don't know if it got damaged in transport or what happened.

Any suggestions on what to do next are much appreciated. Will start a new thread in the hardware section as well.

Chris Young
Printrbot Metal Plus - Kapton & PLA
Windows 10
Cura 15.04
cyborg5
Loading filament...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Jul-Mon-19-Jul

I also downloaded repetier host on the weekend to get my play up and running, (ran out of raspberry pis) so I'm inclined to believe it still works......for now anyways?

Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jul-Tue-06-Jul

You should open a ticket with Printrbot, and let them know their recommended software doesn't work. They now have a full time software guy, and he should be able to sort it out. All that appears to be missing is a configuration file that gives dimensions and basic parameters for the Metal Plus and that should be easy for PB to supply.

Not including the file in an update was probably an oversight on Ultimaker's part. I'm sure they're overjoyed that a competitor is strongly recommending that software being developed at Ultimaker's expense be used to control Printrbot's product.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby teicher » 2015-Jul-Tue-12-Jul

Not sure if you sorted this out by now, but I would recommend that you get Cura 14.12.x or the latest from the 14 release series from the ultimaker site. That, combined with the config files that PB supplies should get you up and running with your new Metal Plus. I haven't started using the 15.x releases myself because 14.x is more than up to the task of running the current generation of printrbots and producing great results.

Cura devs have clearly stated that they are more than willing to ship cura with profiles for other printers, but those companies and communities will need to send git pull requests with the new profiles to the cura devs if they want them shipped in the new 15 rewrite. Ultimaker will not spend their time and money getting them setup.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby cyborg5 » 2015-Jul-Tue-19-Jul

I found out that the 15.04 version which is about 2 tiny updates older than the latest will work. The folks over at Printrbot have also updated the getting started guide on their website to reflect the fact that you need to get eight slightly-less-than the latest version. I just had the unfortunate luck of getting in the day after the change was made. And on a holiday weekend as well. Everything went okay once I got everything configured.
Here are my results. The classic Yoda bust. https://youtu.be/D_OC6WVqE2Y

Chris Young
Printrbot Metal Plus - Kapton & PLA
Windows 10
Cura 15.04
cyborg5
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jul-Tue-20-Jul

Somebody care to post a working Cura profile, along with comments about what (and how) to change for different bed sizes to help out the new guys.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby IB3D » 2015-Jul-Tue-21-Jul

Example shown is for Simple Metal, in all honesty I haven't printed from this netbook since the first of the year, the settings could be off.

Wtih either ver. 14.12.1 or 15.02.1 one goes to Machine>Machine settings to access:
machine settings.jpg

Note: I've toggled between the Basic and Advanced Tabs in photos to expose additional information.

If one goes to Expert>Open Expert Settings, they will find this screen:
3xpert.jpg

Perhaps this is the insight some seek.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IB3D

Postby Desdemona1 » 2015-Jul-Tue-01-Jul

The latest cure does work, you need to create a profile using github.com/quillford/CuraProfileMaker its easy and works very well.
Hope this was helpful.
Good luck!

I think I'd like to do something nice for somebody. I think it's good if you smile at someone, and they smile in return. Voluntary love encourages people to create a sense of friendliness.
Desdemona1
Levelling print bed...

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Jul-Tue-11-Jul

Cura 15.04.21 supports PB. Just download the older version.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sun-12-Aug

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Sun-18-Aug

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sun-19-Aug

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby IB3D » 2015-Aug-Sun-19-Aug

IB3D

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Sun-20-Aug

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Sun-20-Aug

Ok, apparently "index.js" was an example config included in the folder I downloaded from the profile maker on Github. "Ultimaker2.js" is nowhere to be found.

However, I was able to make a profile for my printer. I named it "printrbot.js". Still clueless on where to put it though.

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sun-21-Aug

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Sun-22-Aug

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sun-22-Aug

Just found out 15.06.03 doesn't do USB printing, I was wondering why there were no options for different USB interfaces anymore. Why the heck did they remove USB printing? Good thing I didn't uninstall 15.04 yet....

But on a cool note, since I just upgraded to windows 10 it has built in support for the simple metal, printing options are, um, very limited, but it's kind of cool to see the simple metal listed as a printer in Windows. Just to be sure it wasn't a problem with windows 10 I ran cura 15.04 and it connected via USB just fine...

Edit: Well, reading more I see 15.06 is a complete rebuild from scratch, so it's not that they took out stuff, it's that a bunch of stuff has not been put back in, so eventually there should be USB printing and custom configuration for other printers besides Ultimaker. They really should have come up with a new numbering system if they were going to start over.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Mon-10-Aug

Thanks for the replies.
I'll just go back to 15.04 until USB is supported.

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Tue-19-Aug

An edit: I used parallels to run windows on my Mac and was able to follow your steps. Printrbot now appears in the machine menu.

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Tue-20-Aug

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby nallath » 2015-Aug-Thu-08-Aug

One of the Cura Dev's here.

Cura does support USB printing. It's not tested very well on different machines. As already mentioned in this topic, the developers paid by Ultimaker won't spend tons of time on making other printers work (the fact that we added USB printing in the first place is already a bonus as 99% of the UM users don't use USB printing). It could well be that the printr bot does some things slightly different from the Ultimaker, rendering it unusable.

The USB printing is different from the old cura, as it now actually checks if there are suitable printers before it shows the print to USB button. If you check the log files, you might be able to see some errors that point you towards why the printer is not detected. I've copied a ton of code from the old cura for the USB printing, so it should behave in the same way.

If a developer from printr bot wants to improve on the USB printing they are free to do so. I could make a bit of time to help them out with questions if they have them. If printer bot wants Ultimaker to build these features, they could also drop me a line. I'm sure something can be worked out here.

We're probably not going to implement a full custom designer for profiles as improving on the site that quilford made is much easier and does exactly the same thing (and again; We have finite resources. If we have to choose between improving Cura (or making the experience for the UM better) and adding some feature for other printers, we will choose to make it better for Ultimakers (Because ya know, they still ensure I have a house to live in and food to eat ;)). And once more because we can't stress on this enough; Cura will stay open source just the way it is.

nallath
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Thu-14-Aug

I can understand wanting to focus on the machine the software is designed for.

I only hook up via USB when I'm needing to do calibration after a mod or some other change to the setup, mostly I use SD card. So it's not a great loss for me, plenty of other programs to use just to interface with the printer.

I hope being able to save a profile comes back, if I spend a while getting a bunch of settings just right for a certain print job and then need to change them for a different one, it's nice to be able to go back by loading a saved profile. I would think this is something a lot of advanced UM users would want as well.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Thu-14-Aug

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby nallath » 2015-Aug-Fri-04-Aug

We don't look at the USB device code at all. I simply send a bunch of request temperature commands at all the standard baud rates and check which one gives a correct result. If It gets such a result it adds the device. As far as I can tell this should work with all marlin based machines.

nallath

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Fri-10-Aug

The AT90USB1286 doesn't really have a baud rate and runs at full (or at least as full as the implementation allows) USB speeds, so it shouldn't really matter what bit per second (not the same thing as baud) you pick. There is no real serial conversion (well, ignoring USB) that takes place; the characters are never converted to asynchronous and clocked out (no start/stop bits either...) like they are in the true serial port MCUs.

It's really odd that this wouldn't work with a Printrboard... The USB device code is the only reason the AT90USB1286 needs a special "driver", which just maps the dev code to the stock Microsoft usb serial driver. I'd go try it and see what happens, but the laptop's currently tied up with a laser cutter.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Fri-11-Aug

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Fri-21-Aug

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Sat-02-Aug

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sat-03-Aug

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Sat-07-Aug

Printrbot is now planning to abandon Cura and developing and interface program. Does anybody else think this is a very bad idea and a waste of it's limited resources? It takes a lot of time and effort to develop and maintain this big a project, and as we've seen they still don't have some basic support issues down yet.

There's a directions and comment page . In the first few comments they talk about how they probe the bed before heating it. Perhaps my plywood plus is different, but it noticeably expands as the bed and extruder heat up, to the point where homing before heating is an issue. Perhaps the cloud[/i ] (cue creepy music) somehow compensates for that movement (wonder how that works on modified bots) but it's worrisome to see that though of as an improvement. And, like many here, I'm not a fan of [i]cloud (creepy music) based applications since it's just a mysterious buzzword for moving applications from my to somebody else's computer. In addition to connectivity issues (won't work at my sisters off the phone/Internet grid cabin, for example) and privacy concerns (not an issue here I quickly add, but what if you're into printing less than socially acceptable objects, or inventing that world changing product that'll set you up for life and not willing to share before the patents are filed?), it makes you dependent on their equipment working right, not having outages, and at them being good enough to understand security issues. Today's headline, "Printerbot WebApp Hacked!!!").

I created an account, no sign of any open source accreditation in the process, but you can configure a Plus v1. Didn't try it, nor did there seem to be a way to handle modified bots, although it's still early.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Aug-Sat-08-Aug

Ouch! I totally agree with Mooselake!

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Sat-10-Aug

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sat-12-Aug

Wow, that is such a lousy idea, having to send you model file to the server, and it has to print live, no saving a gcode file to sd?
Probably OK for people who have a play and only do small objects, but any other printer it's crazy to expect a 12 hour or longer print to be successful.

Anyway, this is getting away from Cura and getting it to work with a Printrbot....

I did try messing around some more with the script but no luck getting it to connect after any calls to the script that checks if the board is arduino based, so commenting out the lines I listed above seems to be the only way to do USB printing without lots of changes to several scripts.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Sat-15-Aug

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Sun-00-Aug

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby teicher » 2015-Aug-Sun-11-Aug

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Sun-14-Aug

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby nallath » 2015-Aug-Mon-02-Aug

Well, good luck starting from scratch. We currently have 3+ fulltime software engineers on Cura alone, which is not nearly enough to do everything we want.

But does the old cura recognise the printr bot? We're not doing anything fundamentally different from that version.

nallath

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Mon-02-Aug

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Mon-10-Aug

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Mon-11-Aug

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2015-Aug-Mon-13-Aug

Since we're in reminisce mode, I'm a few years behind you guys. I graduated just in time for the genuine IBM PC, spent a little time on a Univac 1100, but most of my programming life was spent on embedded micros, including the NatSemi PACE 8900, a 16-bit machine with a clock of about 300KHz (yeah, with a K), and the RCA 1802 (allegedly a micro clone of an IBM 360) at 1MHz. I too had the pleasure of working with reels of paper tape, but mostly avoided the whole . My first computer was a Compucolor (yes, real colour) with an 8080, 1MHz, a 50KB floppy drive, and 16KB RAM. First printer was a Creed teletype... it was also colour (a red/black ribbon). Printing with this baby was a seismic experience.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby nallath » 2015-Aug-Tue-07-Aug

I removed the check. It should work for 15.10 release.

nallath

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Tue-15-Aug

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2015-Aug-Tue-16-Aug

The other (apocryphal) story regarding the 1802 instruction set was that it had no Return From Subroutine instruction, because it was designed as a controller for guided weapons, and therefore would be obliterated when the final subroutine was called.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby nallath » 2015-Aug-Wed-02-Aug

I'd really appreciate it if people could check if this works once the 15.10 release is out (open beta is on 1 september). If any of you have issues the next time, post the issue on our github page. Much easier for us to keep track of things if we don't have to scrape info from multiple forums :)

nallath

Postby nallath » 2015-Sep-Tue-05-Sep

Cura beta is up. You can find it on http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/15.10/ (the URL is a bit of a misnomer, its not a closed beta).

We've already fixed a ton of bugs, a new version will be up today / tomorrow.

nallath

Postby thawkins » 2015-Sep-Tue-08-Sep

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby MartyS » 2015-Sep-Sun-22-Sep

Finally had some time to test out the new beta.
I tried 15.09.81 released on Sept. 10th (couldn't find a 15.10.xx installer anywhere).

Still the same issue, it comes back from the arduino check in a state that causes the next section of the script to bail with the could not open port com4 message, looking at the code it all looks exactly the same as what I posted a while back, same changes fix the problem.

2015-09-13 23:17:24,381 - INFO - Could not establish connection on COM4: 'Timeout'. Device is not arduino based.
2015-09-13 23:17:24,381 - INFO - Could not open port COM4

Sorry, this is the only place I'm posting this, I don't have a github account and am not creating one just to post this.

FYI for those that haven't noticed yet, the machine JSON files need to be redone for this version of Cura, there are a bunch of new tags that need to be in there to add the printer, "version", "manufacturer", "author", etc...

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby nallath » 2015-Sep-Fri-08-Sep

Sorry for the late reply, i don't check this forum very often.

We don't plan to support .rpm packages at this moment.

The usb logging is my mistake, i wasn't able to check this, so i thought my changes had fixed this problem. Looking back I see this is not the case.

nallath

Postby nallath » 2015-Sep-Mon-08-Sep

New version is up, you can find it at the usual location.

nallath

Postby MartyS » 2015-Sep-Wed-09-Sep

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Sep-Wed-10-Sep

That's really weird, particularly since the MCU in the printrboard isn't really a serial port, it runs at USB speeds (while it's a Universal Serial Bus it's no more like asynchronous character serial ports than SATA is) - changing the baud (really bps, not baud) rate is irrelevant and ignored on the MCU. Unlike the RAMPS type controllers and ones based on the ATMega versions with real serial ports there's no serial port bit clocking in and out performed; it just pretends that it might be happening.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Sep-Wed-10-Sep

When the programmer check is commented out it will connect at any speed, what ever speed is first on the list it will get a response and go with it.

Perhaps the best solution would be to put a new variable in the machine config file, something to flag non-arduino based printers, if the flag is set have the USB connection script skip the attempt at finding the programmer.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Return to Troubleshooting talk