Cura doesn't support Printrbot

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby cyborg5 » 2015-Jul-Mon-16-Jul

Just unboxed my brand-new Printrbot Metal Plus and tried to load Cura latest version for windows. Apparently it doesn't support Printrbot anymore. Presumably I need to download one of the older versions. Also tried to load the Getting Started.ini file from the file open menu as the beginner's guide suggests. No joy there either.

I love my new Printrbot but for now it's a $1000 paperweight.

cyborg5
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Cura doesn't support Printrbot

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jul-Mon-16-Jul

Although Brook turned up his nose at Repetier Host because it's no longer open-source, it is a fine and free way to control your machine. It can call Cura, Slic3r, or Skeinforge.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby IB3D » 2015-Jul-Mon-17-Jul

You still have the option of loading CURA 15.02.1. and the getting started file which can be accessed from here http://help.printrbot.com/Guide/2.+Getting+Started+with+Your+Printrbot+Plus/191 still downloads, or am I missing something?

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby cyborg5 » 2015-Jul-Mon-17-Jul

I wasn't sure if loading the Getting Started file into a and configured Cura would work. I'm just following the instructions on the Printrbot website and it tells me that I should be able to configure directly for Printrbot Metal Plus. I went back to the Cura website and loaded version 14.whatever and it seemed to configure okay.

I tried the test print of little block and the tip crashed as it started to print. Not really knowing what this thing should sound like having never had one before, I didn't realize it was crashing until it had torn up the kapton coating on the bed. I was under the impression that the factory calibration was deliberately set so that the first print would not crash. So I don't know if it got damaged in transport or what happened.

Any suggestions on what to do next are much appreciated. Will start a new thread in the hardware section as well.

Chris Young
Printrbot Metal Plus - Kapton & PLA
Windows 10
Cura 15.04
cyborg5
Loading filament...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Jul-Mon-19-Jul

I also downloaded repetier host on the weekend to get my play up and running, (ran out of raspberry pis) so I'm inclined to believe it still works......for now anyways?

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jul-Tue-06-Jul

You should open a ticket with Printrbot, and let them know their recommended software doesn't work. They now have a full time software guy, and he should be able to sort it out. All that appears to be missing is a configuration file that gives dimensions and basic parameters for the Metal Plus and that should be easy for PB to supply.

Not including the file in an update was probably an oversight on Ultimaker's part. I'm sure they're overjoyed that a competitor is strongly recommending that software being developed at Ultimaker's expense be used to control Printrbot's product.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby teicher » 2015-Jul-Tue-12-Jul

Not sure if you sorted this out by now, but I would recommend that you get Cura 14.12.x or the latest from the 14 release series from the ultimaker site. That, combined with the config files that PB supplies should get you up and running with your new Metal Plus. I haven't started using the 15.x releases myself because 14.x is more than up to the task of running the current generation of printrbots and producing great results.

Cura devs have clearly stated that they are more than willing to ship cura with profiles for other printers, but those companies and communities will need to send git pull requests with the new profiles to the cura devs if they want them shipped in the new 15 rewrite. Ultimaker will not spend their time and money getting them setup.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby cyborg5 » 2015-Jul-Tue-19-Jul

I found out that the 15.04 version which is about 2 tiny updates older than the latest will work. The folks over at Printrbot have also updated the getting started guide on their website to reflect the fact that you need to get eight slightly-less-than the latest version. I just had the unfortunate luck of getting in the day after the change was made. And on a holiday weekend as well. Everything went okay once I got everything configured.
Here are my results. The classic Yoda bust. https://youtu.be/D_OC6WVqE2Y

Chris Young
Printrbot Metal Plus - Kapton & PLA
Windows 10
Cura 15.04
cyborg5
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jul-Tue-20-Jul

Somebody care to post a working Cura profile, along with comments about what (and how) to change for different bed sizes to help out the new guys.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby IB3D » 2015-Jul-Tue-21-Jul

Example shown is for Simple Metal, in all honesty I haven't printed from this netbook since the first of the year, the settings could be off.

Wtih either ver. 14.12.1 or 15.02.1 one goes to Machine>Machine settings to access:
machine settings.jpg

Note: I've toggled between the Basic and Advanced Tabs in photos to expose additional information.

If one goes to Expert>Open Expert Settings, they will find this screen:
3xpert.jpg

Perhaps this is the insight some seek.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IB3D

Postby Desdemona1 » 2015-Jul-Tue-01-Jul

The latest cure does work, you need to create a profile using github.com/quillford/CuraProfileMaker its easy and works very well.
Hope this was helpful.
Good luck!

I think I'd like to do something nice for somebody. I think it's good if you smile at someone, and they smile in return. Voluntary love encourages people to create a sense of friendliness.
Desdemona1
Levelling print bed...

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Jul-Tue-11-Jul

Cura 15.04.21 supports PB. Just download the older version.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sun-12-Aug

Desdemona1 wrote:The latest cure does work, you need to create a profile using github.com/quillford/CuraProfileMaker its easy and works very well.
Hope this was helpful.
Good luck!

This does work well, but don't put a space in the ID section, I made 2 profiles and when I would load one of them it kept causing cura to forget it's installed printers, took a while to figure it out but I finally created a new profile with no spaces in the "id": section and it worked fine.

15.06.xx is still not as good as 15.04, as far as I can tell there's no way to save profiles, so that's really annoying, and it seems print one at a time is gone as well.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Sun-18-Aug

MartyS wrote:
Desdemona1 wrote:The latest cure does work, you need to create a profile using github.com/quillford/CuraProfileMaker its easy and works very well.
Hope this was helpful.
Good luck!

This does work well, but don't put a space in the ID section, I made 2 profiles and when I would load one of them it kept causing cura to forget it's installed printers, took a while to figure it out but I finally created a new profile with no spaces in the "id": section and it worked fine.

15.06.xx is still not as good as 15.04, as far as I can tell there's no way to save profiles, so that's really annoying, and it seems print one at a time is gone as well.

How (step by step, software is not my thing) do you load a machine into Cura? I am on a Mac, not sure where to put the .json file the config maker tells me to create...

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sun-19-Aug

spaceorange12 wrote:
MartyS wrote:
Hope this was helpful.
Good luck!

How (step by step, software is not my thing) do you load a machine into Cura? I am on a Mac, not sure where to put the .json file the config maker tells me to create...

Not sure if the directory structure of the install is the same on a mac, in windows the .json files go into the /resources/settings folder inside the main cura folder. If that doesn't help search your system for one of the built in profiles and put the one you made into the same folder, ultimaker2.json is one of the defaults installed in windows.

Once the .json file is placed it should show up in the "add printer" list just like all the Ultimaker ones.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby IB3D » 2015-Aug-Sun-19-Aug

spaceorange12 wrote:How (step by step, software is not my thing) do you load a machine into Cura? I am on a Mac, not sure where to put the .json file the config maker tells me to create...

On a Windows based machine the config settings file would be inserted into
Program Files>Cura>resources>machine_profiles.
Is an Apple that much different?

IB3D

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Sun-20-Aug

The only thing that comes up when I search is "index.js" - it contains the following snippet:

Code: Select all
var profile = {
  "id": "",
  "name": "",
  "icon": "icon_ultimaker.png",
  "platform": "",

"inherits": "fdmprinter.json",

"machine_settings": {
    "machine_width": {
      "default": 200
    },
    "machine_height": {
    },
    "machine_depth": {
    },
    "machine_center_is_zero": {
      "default": false
    },
    "machine_nozzle_size": {
      "default": 0.4
    },
    "machine_head_shape_min_x": {
      "default": 75
    },
    "machine_head_shape_min_y": {
      "default": 18
    },
    "machine_head_shape_max_x": {
      "default": 18
    },
    "machine_head_shape_max_y": {
      "default": 35
    },
    "machine_nozzle_gantry_distance": {
      "default": 55
    },
    "machine_nozzle_offset_x_1": {
      "default": 18.0
    },
    "machine_nozzle_offset_y_1": {
      "default": 0.0
    },
    "machine_gcode_flavor": {
      "default": "RepRap (Marlin/Sprinter)"
    },

"machine_start_gcode": {
      "default": "G21 ;metric values\nG90 ;absolute positioning\nM82 ;set extruder to absolute mode\nM107 ;start with the fan off\nG28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops\nG28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops\nG1 Z15.0 F9000 ;move the platform down 15mm\nG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length\nG1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock\nG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again\nG1 F9000\n;Put printing message on LCD screen\nM117 Printing..."
    },
    "machine_end_gcode": {
      "default": "M104 S0 ;extruder heater off\nM140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)\nG91 ;relative positioning\nG1 E-1 F300  ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure\nG1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F9000 ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more\nG28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way\nM84 ;steppers off\nG90 ;absolute positioning"
    }
  },

"categories": {
    "material": {
      "settings": {
        "material_bed_temperature": {
          "visible": true
        }
      }
    }
  }
};

$("#machine_id").on("input", function() {
    profile.id = $("#machine_id").val();
});

$("#machine_name").on("input", function() {
    profile.name = $("#machine_name").val();
});

$("#machine_width").on("input", function() {
    profile.machine_settings.machine_width.default = parseInt($("#machine_width").val());
});

$("#machine_depth").on("input", function() {
    profile.machine_settings.machine_depth.default = parseInt($("#machine_depth").val());
});

$("#machine_height").on("input", function() {
    profile.machine_settings.machine_height.default = parseInt($("#machine_height").val());
});

$("#machine_nozzle_orifice").on("input", function() {
    profile.machine_settings.machine_nozzle_size.default = parseFloat($("#machine_nozzle_orifice").val());
});

$("#heated_bed").on("change", function() {
    profile.categories.material.settings.material_bed_temperature.visible = $("#heated_bed").prop("checked");
});

$("#machine_center_is_zero").on("change", function() {
    profile.machine_settings.machine_center_is_zero.default = $("#machine_center_is_zero").prop("checked");
});

$("#start_gcode").on("input", function() {
    profile.machine_settings.machine_start_gcode.default = $("#start_gcode").val();
});

$("#end_gcode").on("input", function() {
    profile.machine_settings.machine_end_gcode.default = $("#end_gcode").val();
});

function updateProfileView() {
    var tabStop = parseInt($("#tab-stop").val());
    $("#profile_preview code").text(JSON.stringify(profile, null, tabStop));
    hljs.highlightBlock($("#profile_preview code")[0]);
}

$("#generate_btn").click(function() {
    updateProfileView();
    document.getElementById("profile_preview").style.visibility = "visible";
    document.getElementById("instruction").style.visibility = "visible";
});

// Initially hide the profile preview and instructions
document.getElementById("profile_preview").style.visibility = "hidden";
document.getElementById("instruction").style.visibility = "hidden";

I am just going to copy it, name the copy printrbot.js, and put in in the same location as index.js. I'll report back my results.

On a side note, I really need to make the switch to Windows!

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Sun-20-Aug

Ok, apparently "index.js" was an example config included in the folder I downloaded from the profile maker on Github. "Ultimaker2.js" is nowhere to be found.

However, I was able to make a profile for my printer. I named it "printrbot.js". Still clueless on where to put it though.

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sun-21-Aug

spaceorange12 wrote:Ok, apparently "index.js" was an example config included in the folder I downloaded from the profile maker on Github. "Ultimaker2.js" is nowhere to be found.

However, I was able to make a profile for my printer. I named it "printrbot.js". Still clueless on where to put it though.

Try using the full .json extension, that what they have on the windows install of cura 15.06.03

Also no caps if that matters to the search, so "ultimaker2.json".

This is where it is on my current windows install:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.03\resources\settings\ultimaker2.json"

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Sun-22-Aug

MartyS wrote:
spaceorange12 wrote:Ok, apparently "index.js" was an example config included in the folder I downloaded from the profile maker on Github. "Ultimaker2.js" is nowhere to be found.

Try using the full .json extension, that what they have on the windows install of cura 15.06.03

Also no caps if that matters to the search, so "ultimaker2.json".

This is where it is on my current windows install:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Cura_15.06.03\resources\settings\ultimaker2.json"

Path is good, and yes it has to be named .json or cura wont see it, .js and .json files are quite different things.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sun-22-Aug

Just found out 15.06.03 doesn't do USB printing, I was wondering why there were no options for different USB interfaces anymore. Why the heck did they remove USB printing? Good thing I didn't uninstall 15.04 yet....

But on a cool note, since I just upgraded to windows 10 it has built in support for the simple metal, printing options are, um, very limited, but it's kind of cool to see the simple metal listed as a printer in Windows. Just to be sure it wasn't a problem with windows 10 I ran cura 15.04 and it connected via USB just fine...

Edit: Well, reading more I see 15.06 is a complete rebuild from scratch, so it's not that they took out stuff, it's that a bunch of stuff has not been put back in, so eventually there should be USB printing and custom configuration for other printers besides Ultimaker. They really should have come up with a new numbering system if they were going to start over.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Mon-10-Aug

Thanks for the replies.
I'll just go back to 15.04 until USB is supported.

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby spaceorange12 » 2015-Aug-Tue-19-Aug

An edit: I used parallels to run windows on my Mac and was able to follow your steps. Printrbot now appears in the machine menu.

RIP Printrbot 1405
spaceorange12
Printing skirt...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Tue-20-Aug

spaceorange12 wrote:An edit: I used parallels to run windows on my Mac and was able to follow your steps. Printrbot now appears in the machine menu.

On a Mac, if you open the applications folder, find the Cura app, and then right click on it and select "show contents", it will open the app's directory.

Apps on macs are actually directories not files, they contain all the files needed for the app to run. finder makes them look like files. inside the app "bundle" folder you should find the "resource\settings" path somewhere for you to drop your .json file. You may have to explore a bit to find it.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby nallath » 2015-Aug-Thu-08-Aug

One of the Cura Dev's here.

Cura does support USB printing. It's not tested very well on different machines. As already mentioned in this topic, the developers paid by Ultimaker won't spend tons of time on making other printers work (the fact that we added USB printing in the first place is already a bonus as 99% of the UM users don't use USB printing). It could well be that the printr bot does some things slightly different from the Ultimaker, rendering it unusable.

The USB printing is different from the old cura, as it now actually checks if there are suitable printers before it shows the print to USB button. If you check the log files, you might be able to see some errors that point you towards why the printer is not detected. I've copied a ton of code from the old cura for the USB printing, so it should behave in the same way.

If a developer from printr bot wants to improve on the USB printing they are free to do so. I could make a bit of time to help them out with questions if they have them. If printer bot wants Ultimaker to build these features, they could also drop me a line. I'm sure something can be worked out here.

We're probably not going to implement a full custom designer for profiles as improving on the site that quilford made is much easier and does exactly the same thing (and again; We have finite resources. If we have to choose between improving Cura (or making the experience for the UM better) and adding some feature for other printers, we will choose to make it better for Ultimakers (Because ya know, they still ensure I have a house to live in and food to eat ;)). And once more because we can't stress on this enough; Cura will stay open source just the way it is.

nallath
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Thu-14-Aug

I can understand wanting to focus on the machine the software is designed for.

I only hook up via USB when I'm needing to do calibration after a mod or some other change to the setup, mostly I use SD card. So it's not a great loss for me, plenty of other programs to use just to interface with the printer.

I hope being able to save a profile comes back, if I spend a while getting a bunch of settings just right for a certain print job and then need to change them for a different one, it's nice to be able to go back by loading a saved profile. I would think this is something a lot of advanced UM users would want as well.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Thu-14-Aug

nallath wrote:One of the Cura Dev's here.

Cura does support USB printing. It's not tested very well on different machines. As already mentioned in this topic, the developers paid by Ultimaker won't spend tons of time on making other printers work (the fact that we added USB printing in the first place is already a bonus as 99% of the UM users don't use USB printing). It could well be that the printr bot does some things slightly different from the Ultimaker, rendering it unusable

Printrbot uses essentially standard older Marlin, especially in the USB interface area. The Printrboard has an Atmel AT90USB1286 with a built in USB interface, but so does a lot of other fairly recent integrated controller boards. It's possibly that Cura doesn't recognize the presented USB device code, but it works with Repetier-Host without any changes so it should also work fine with your stuff if you accept the ID. AFAIK it's the same usb to serial port emulation that the FTDI chips use.

On a side note PB has been pushing the use of Cura for some time, having problems with the R-H's developer's need to support himself caused by the lack of open source financial contributors. I suggest that you approach Printrbot and suggest a reasonable contribution for you to add support for their devices (it's not free for you, after all, and they're your competitors), since they'll have problems if it doesn't work.

KIrk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby nallath » 2015-Aug-Fri-04-Aug

We don't look at the USB device code at all. I simply send a bunch of request temperature commands at all the standard baud rates and check which one gives a correct result. If It gets such a result it adds the device. As far as I can tell this should work with all marlin based machines.

nallath

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Fri-10-Aug

The AT90USB1286 doesn't really have a baud rate and runs at full (or at least as full as the implementation allows) USB speeds, so it shouldn't really matter what bit per second (not the same thing as baud) you pick. There is no real serial conversion (well, ignoring USB) that takes place; the characters are never converted to asynchronous and clocked out (no start/stop bits either...) like they are in the true serial port MCUs.

It's really odd that this wouldn't work with a Printrboard... The USB device code is the only reason the AT90USB1286 needs a special "driver", which just maps the dev code to the stock Microsoft usb serial driver. I'd go try it and see what happens, but the laptop's currently tied up with a laser cutter.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Fri-11-Aug

nallath wrote:We don't look at the USB device code at all. I simply send a bunch of request temperature commands at all the standard baud rates and check which one gives a correct result. If It gets such a result it adds the device. As far as I can tell this should work with all marlin based machines.

Hmmm, do you send temperature requests for the hot end or the bed?

I'm sure I tried connecting before finding out that even though I put false in for the heated bed line in the config file Cura was still adding a bed temperature line to the gcode files, only way to get it to stop doing that was to make the bed temperature visible and set it to zero. Maybe I'll try USB again tonight with that setting to see if it sees the printrboard.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Fri-21-Aug

If you check the log files, you might be able to see some errors that point you towards why the printer is not detected.

I've looked for any type of log file and can't find one. Looking at the code is they file supposed to be called logger.log?

Tried again connecting to my simple metal with bed temp set to zero and still no go.

Edit:

Found the log file it says this:

2015-08-22 00:29:49,072 - INFO - Could not establish connection on COM4: 'Timeout'. Device is not arduino based.
2015-08-22 00:29:49,072 - INFO - Could not establish connection on COM4, unknown reasons.

Been looking at PrinterConnection.py, not sure why it's jumping right to that unknown line, it never gets to the baud rate detection, so it never sends any M commands.

Edit 2:

I cut out the section of code that tries to detect if it's arduino based and it connected, I started a print and it started warming up the hot end.

This is the section I cut out of PrinterConnection.py :

programmer = stk500v2.Stk500v2()   
        try:
            programmer.connect(self._serial_port) # Connect with the serial, if this succeeds, it"s an arduino based usb device.
            self._serial = programmer.leaveISP()   
        except ispBase.IspError as e:
            Logger.log("i", "Could not establish connection on %s: %s. Device is not arduino based." %(self._serial_port,str(e)))
        except Exception as e:
            Logger.log("i", "Could not establish connection on %s, unknown reasons.  Device is not arduino based." % self._serial_port)

if not self._serial:
            self._is_connecting = False
            Logger.log("i", "Could not establish connection on %s, unknown reasons.", self._serial_port)
            return

Edit3:

It printed ok but gave this error message at the end:

2015-08-22 01:02:32,929 - DEBUG - Loaded a mesh with 996 vertices
2015-08-22 01:09:53,883 - ERROR - Unexpected error with printer connection: could not convert string to float:
2015-08-22 01:12:04,641 - INFO - Printer connection listen thread stopped for COM4

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Sat-02-Aug

MartyS wrote:
If you check the log files, you might be able to see some errors that point you towards why the printer is not detected.

I've looked for any type of log file and can't find one. Looking at the code is they file supposed to be called logger.log?

Tried again connecting to my simple metal with bed temp set to zero and still no go.

Edit:

Found the log file it says this:

2015-08-22 00:29:49,072 - INFO - Could not establish connection on COM4: 'Timeout'. Device is not arduino based.
2015-08-22 00:29:49,072 - INFO - Could not establish connection on COM4, unknown reasons.

Been looking at PrinterConnection.py, not sure why it's jumping right to that unknown line, it never gets to the baud rate detection, so it never sends any M commands.

Edit 2:

I cut out the section of code that tries to detect if it's arduino based and it connected, I started a print and it started warming up the hot end.

This is the section I cut out of PrinterConnection.py :

programmer = stk500v2.Stk500v2()   
        try:
            programmer.connect(self._serial_port) # Connect with the serial, if this succeeds, it"s an arduino based usb device.
            self._serial = programmer.leaveISP()   
        except ispBase.IspError as e:
            Logger.log("i", "Could not establish connection on %s: %s. Device is not arduino based." %(self._serial_port,str(e)))
        except Exception as e:
            Logger.log("i", "Could not establish connection on %s, unknown reasons.  Device is not arduino based." % self._serial_port)

if not self._serial:
            self._is_connecting = False
            Logger.log("i", "Could not establish connection on %s, unknown reasons.", self._serial_port)
            return

Edit3:

It printed ok but gave this error message at the end:

2015-08-22 01:02:32,929 - DEBUG - Loaded a mesh with 996 vertices
2015-08-22 01:09:53,883 - ERROR - Unexpected error with printer connection: could not convert string to float:
2015-08-22 01:12:04,641 - INFO - Printer connection listen thread stopped for COM4

IT seems to be looking for a firmware programming interface on the usb port to decide its an arduino.

I believe that printrboards use the DFU/CDC protocol for programming, not the stk500v2, and they only provide it when the boot-loader jumper is installed. Any attempt to detect a boot-loader of any kind when its in normal "print" mode will fail.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sat-03-Aug

thawkins wrote:IT seems to be looking for a firmware programming interface on the usb port to decide its an arduino.

Yeah, and when it comes back failed the next part of the script just does a return so the connection is never made.

And if you simply take out the "if not self._serial:" section it does try to connect but says it can't open the com4 port, so the stk500v2.py script is setting something that prevents the rest of the connection script from working. There probably needs to be some lines to reset the com port after it comes back as not arduino if it is to work for both UM and other boards.

But someone else can do that, I just wanted to see if the section where the M104 commands are used to see if there is a printer attached worked with the printrboard.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Sat-07-Aug

Printrbot is now planning to abandon Cura and developing it's own slicer and interface program. Does anybody else think this is a very bad idea and a waste of it's limited resources? It takes a lot of time and effort to develop and maintain this big a project, and as we've seen they still don't have some basic support issues down yet.

There's a directions and comment page here. In the first few comments they talk about how they probe the bed before heating it. Perhaps my plywood plus is different, but it noticeably expands as the bed and extruder heat up, to the point where homing before heating is an issue. Perhaps the cloud[/i ] (cue creepy music) somehow compensates for that movement (wonder how that works on modified bots) but it's worrisome to see that though of as an improvement. And, like many here, I'm not a fan of [i]cloud (creepy music) based applications since it's just a mysterious buzzword for moving applications from my to somebody else's computer. In addition to connectivity issues (won't work at my sisters off the phone/Internet grid cabin, for example) and privacy concerns (not an issue here I quickly add, but what if you're into printing less than socially acceptable objects, or inventing that world changing product that'll set you up for life and not willing to share before the patents are filed?), it makes you dependent on their equipment working right, not having outages, and at them being good enough to understand security issues. Today's headline, "Printerbot WebApp Hacked!!!").

I created an account, no sign of any open source accreditation in the process, but you can configure a Plus v1. Didn't try it, nor did there seem to be a way to handle modified bots, although it's still early.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Aug-Sat-08-Aug

Ouch! I totally agree with Mooselake!

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Sat-10-Aug

Mooselake wrote:Printrbot is now planning to abandon Cura and developing it's own slicer and interface program. Does anybody else think this is a very bad idea and a waste of it's limited resources? It takes a lot of time and effort to develop and maintain this big a project, and as we've seen they still don't have some basic support issues down yet.

Very, very bad idea. As I have said before One of the best things about Printrbot is that it doesn't come with any software at all. This development is a bad idea for Printrbot (the company), and bad for the users.

This means they don't really understand their own business. Software development is a completely different thing from making printers. Judging from online videos etc., their understanding of software is limited. Not a problem at all when they rely on open source software to do it for them, but it could easily take them out if business to try and make their own slicer. If they thought customer support was a challenge before.... I have been developing software professionally for 25+ years.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Sat-12-Aug

Wow, that is such a lousy idea, having to send you model file to the server, and it has to print live, no saving a gcode file to sd?
Probably OK for people who have a play and only do small objects, but any other printer it's crazy to expect a 12 hour or longer print to be successful.

Anyway, this is getting away from Cura and getting it to work with a Printrbot....

I did try messing around some more with the script but no luck getting it to connect after any calls to the script that checks if the board is arduino based, so commenting out the lines I listed above seems to be the only way to do USB printing without lots of changes to several scripts.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Sat-15-Aug

cacb wrote:This means they don't really understand their own business.

Ya think?

Brook's a marketing, not technical guy. Much of the detail design of their products are done by staff members afaik.

cacb wrote: Software development is a completely different thing from making printers. .... I have been developing software professionally for 25+ years.

Not if you're in Marketing...

After 25 years you're still a youngster. I started in <gulp> the summer of love. Of course I was in a nearly all male engineering college in the wilds of the great white north so the love involved books and an IBM mainframe...

KIrk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Sun-00-Aug

Mooselake wrote:
cacb wrote:This means they don't really understand their own business.

Ya think?

Brook's a marketing, not technical guy. Much of the detail design of their products are done by staff members afaik.

cacb wrote: Software development is a completely different thing from making printers. .... I have been developing software professionally for 25+ years.

Not if you're in Marketing...

After 25 years you're still a youngster. I started in <gulp> the summer of love. Of course I was in a nearly all male engineering college in the wilds of the great white north so the love involved books and an IBM mainframe...

KIrk

Im not far behind you, i built my first computer (they where too expensive to buy, real enthusiasts built thier own machines) in 1975 , a natsemi scmp 1 machine with 8k of static RAM running NIBL basic driving an ASR 33 teletype. I later added cassette tape storage. But for a long time i just used the papertape reader on the ASR, and an old facit paper tape punch i got from a junk shop. I used to have an old pocket folder with strips of papertape, all which where usefull subroutines.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby teicher » 2015-Aug-Sun-11-Aug

Mooselake wrote:Printrbot is now planning to abandon Cura and developing it's own slicer and interface program. Does anybody else think this is a very bad idea and a waste of it's limited resources? It takes a lot of time and effort to develop and maintain this big a project, and as we've seen they still don't have some basic support issues down yet.

Brook said on Google Plus that they are using slic3r for the slicing engine, so at least they aren't wasting their time on that.

I started messing with their printapp just to see what it was like but abandoned before I got too far into it. Too much for too little. I'll stick with Cura and Octoprint, can't see any reason why I should get a cloud server and the internet involved when I can do everything here in my LAN and on computers I own and maintain.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Sun-14-Aug

teicher wrote: .... can't see any reason why I should get a cloud server and the internet involved when I can do everything here in my LAN and on computers I own and maintain.

Precisely, well said.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby nallath » 2015-Aug-Mon-02-Aug

Well, good luck starting from scratch. We currently have 3+ fulltime software engineers on Cura alone, which is not nearly enough to do everything we want.

But does the old cura recognise the printr bot? We're not doing anything fundamentally different from that version.

nallath

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Mon-02-Aug

nallath wrote:Well, good luck starting from scratch. We currently have 3+ fulltime software engineers on Cura alone, which is not nearly enough to do everything we want.

But does the old cura recognise the printr bot? We're not doing anything fundamentally different from that version.

Printrbots dont have a firmware programming interface, so you test for isArduino is failing immeadiatly.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby MartyS » 2015-Aug-Mon-10-Aug

nallath wrote:Well, good luck starting from scratch. We currently have 3+ fulltime software engineers on Cura alone, which is not nearly enough to do everything we want.

Yes Cura 15.04 connects just fine.

Did you see what I wrote above about what I did to get 15.06.03 to connect? When it does the check for programming it's coming back in a state that doesn't allow it to continue on and do the check using the M104 commands.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Mon-11-Aug

thawkins wrote:Im not far behind you, i built my first computer (they where too expensive to buy, real enthusiasts built thier own machines) in 1975 , a natsemi scmp 1 machine with 8k of static RAM running NIBL basic driving an ASR 33 teletype. I later added cassette tape storage. But for a long time i just used the papertape reader on the ASR, and an old facit paper tape punch i got from a junk shop. I used to have an old pocket folder with strips of papertape, all which where usefull subroutines.

At that time having my own machine was too much like work, since I had access to several Univac 1100s and a few 360s and 370s plus a collections of minis, between work and night school.

I have fond memories of ASR 33s, first one I saw was the offline entry method for an IBM 360/44 with a terminal system called RAX iirc, saved waiting in line to get one of the limited number of CRT terminals. Every line had to end with CR LF X-OFF RO RO; my fingers can still type that automatically. My summer job (1108 with a few terminals) had a "portable" tabletop ASR 33 that took two guys to lift onto a table for the summer guy, but at least just CR was enough :) My at the time roommate had fun modifying the distributor while at Case so they'd run at 15 cps instead of 10.

While still at MTU we had an XDS 910 with paper tape input, and a Friden Flexowriter. I once used it to punch a bootable tape that would clear memory, the 910 would load the first few characters directly into memory and then start executing at zero. Not real useful, but that was entertainment before cell phones and the Internet.

These young kids with their big flat panel monitors and multi core multi gigaHz multi gigabyte machines (and multi megabit Internet) have it way too easy... We never needed to worry about tactile feedback Cherry switches.

Now I even sound like an old guy. Probably some old(er) Sumerian said something similar...

Kirk

Gosh, except for Plexus I'm the oldest (at least by registration date) active member here. I really am an old guy.

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2015-Aug-Mon-13-Aug

Since we're in reminisce mode, I'm a few years behind you guys. I graduated just in time for the genuine IBM PC, spent a little time on a Univac 1100, but most of my programming life was spent on embedded micros, including the NatSemi PACE 8900, a 16-bit machine with a clock of about 300KHz (yeah, with a K), and the RCA 1802 (allegedly a micro clone of an IBM 360) at 1MHz. I too had the pleasure of working with reels of paper tape, but mostly avoided the whole . My first computer was a Compucolor (yes, real colour) with an 8080, 1MHz, a 50KB floppy drive, and 16KB RAM. First printer was a Creed teletype... it was also colour (a red/black ribbon). Printing with this baby was a seismic experience.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby nallath » 2015-Aug-Tue-07-Aug

I removed the check. It should work for 15.10 release.

nallath

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Tue-15-Aug

nallath wrote:I removed the check. It should work for 15.10 release.

Thanks! And a good endorsement for Ultimaker, too.

Whoever tests it first please post back here with the results.

@frankv: Several micros of that vintage had 360ish looking instruction sets, like a couple different minis I worked on back then. Remember the PC/370? Spendy, but somebody at work bought one. Never said much about it, which might have been a bad sign.

Kirk (who's younger than a Sumerian).

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2015-Aug-Tue-16-Aug

The other (apocryphal) story regarding the 1802 instruction set was that it had no Return From Subroutine instruction, because it was designed as a controller for guided weapons, and therefore would be obliterated when the final subroutine was called.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby nallath » 2015-Aug-Wed-02-Aug

I'd really appreciate it if people could check if this works once the 15.10 release is out (open beta is on 1 september). If any of you have issues the next time, post the issue on our github page. Much easier for us to keep track of things if we don't have to scrape info from multiple forums :)

nallath

Postby nallath » 2015-Sep-Tue-05-Sep

Cura beta is up. You can find it on http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/15.10/ (the URL is a bit of a misnomer, its not a closed beta).

We've already fixed a ton of bugs, a new version will be up today / tomorrow.

nallath

Postby thawkins » 2015-Sep-Tue-08-Sep

nallath wrote:Cura beta is up. You can find it on http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/15.10/ (the URL is a bit of a misnomer, its not a closed beta).

We've already fixed a ton of bugs, a new version will be up today / tomorrow.

Do you guys plan to provide builds in .rpm format?.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby MartyS » 2015-Sep-Sun-22-Sep

Finally had some time to test out the new beta.
I tried 15.09.81 released on Sept. 10th (couldn't find a 15.10.xx installer anywhere).

Still the same issue, it comes back from the arduino check in a state that causes the next section of the script to bail with the could not open port com4 message, looking at the code it all looks exactly the same as what I posted a while back, same changes fix the problem.

2015-09-13 23:17:24,381 - INFO - Could not establish connection on COM4: 'Timeout'. Device is not arduino based.
2015-09-13 23:17:24,381 - INFO - Could not open port COM4

Sorry, this is the only place I'm posting this, I don't have a github account and am not creating one just to post this.

FYI for those that haven't noticed yet, the machine JSON files need to be redone for this version of Cura, there are a bunch of new tags that need to be in there to add the printer, "version", "manufacturer", "author", etc...

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby nallath » 2015-Sep-Fri-08-Sep

Sorry for the late reply, i don't check this forum very often.

We don't plan to support .rpm packages at this moment.

The usb logging is my mistake, i wasn't able to check this, so i thought my changes had fixed this problem. Looking back I see this is not the case.

nallath

Postby nallath » 2015-Sep-Mon-08-Sep

New version is up, you can find it at the usual location.

nallath

Postby MartyS » 2015-Sep-Wed-09-Sep

I just tried 10.09.84 (windows 64bit) and it's still not working, but is acting differently.

Now it comes back from the arduino check and can still open the com port, but the baud rate check fails:

2015-09-30 10:21:17,331 - INFO - Could not establish connection on COM4: 'Timeout'. Device is not arduino based.
2015-09-30 10:21:17,331 - DEBUG - Attempting to connect to printer with serial COM4 on baud rate 115200
2015-09-30 10:21:17,331 - DEBUG - Attempting to connect to printer with serial COM4 on baud rate 250000
2015-09-30 10:21:17,331 - DEBUG - Attempting to connect to printer with serial COM4 on baud rate 230400
2015-09-30 10:21:17,331 - DEBUG - Attempting to connect to printer with serial COM4 on baud rate 57600
2015-09-30 10:21:17,331 - DEBUG - Attempting to connect to printer with serial COM4 on baud rate 38400
2015-09-30 10:21:17,332 - DEBUG - Attempting to connect to printer with serial COM4 on baud rate 19200
2015-09-30 10:21:17,332 - DEBUG - Attempting to connect to printer with serial COM4 on baud rate 9600
2015-09-30 10:21:17,332 - ERROR - Baud rate detection for COM4 failed
2015-09-30 10:21:17,332 - DEBUG - Closing the printer connection.

If I comment out the following:
    ##  Private connect function run by thread. Can be started by calling connect.
    def _connect(self):
        Logger.log("d", "Attempting to connect to %s", self._serial_port)
        self._is_connecting = True
#        programmer = stk500v2.Stk500v2()
#        try:
#            programmer.connect(self._serial_port) # Connect with the serial, if this succeeds, it"s an arduino based usb device.
#            self._serial = programmer.leaveISP()
#        except ispBase.IspError as e:
#            Logger.log("i", "Could not establish connection on %s: %s. Device is not arduino based." %(self._serial_port,str(e)))
#        except Exception as e:
#            Logger.log("i", "Could not establish connection on %s, unknown reasons.  Device is not arduino based." % self._serial_port)

# If the programmer connected, we know its an atmega based version. Not all that usefull, but it does give some debugging information.
        for baud_rate in self._getBaudrateList(): # Cycle all baud rates (auto detect)
            Logger.log("d","Attempting to connect to printer with serial %s on baud rate %s", self._serial_port, baud_rate)

It connects fine (I changed the baud rate list so 250000 was first, it was connecting at 115200 before since that was the first one checked):

2015-09-30 10:45:04,330 - DEBUG - Attempting to connect to COM4
2015-09-30 10:45:04,330 - DEBUG - Attempting to connect to printer with serial COM4 on baud rate 250000

2015-09-30 10:45:09,375 - INFO - Printer connection listen thread started for COM4
2015-09-30 10:45:09,386 - INFO - Established printer connection on port COM4

So while checking for the programmer the script is doing something that either kills the com port or leaves the printer in a state that it's not responding to M105 commands, but I can connect to the printer and command it just fine in Cura 15.04 right after the newer version fails so it's only happening temporarily if it is the printer.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Sep-Wed-10-Sep

That's really weird, particularly since the MCU in the printrboard isn't really a serial port, it runs at USB speeds (while it's a Universal Serial Bus it's no more like asynchronous character serial ports than SATA is) - changing the baud (really bps, not baud) rate is irrelevant and ignored on the MCU. Unlike the RAMPS type controllers and ones based on the ATMega versions with real serial ports there's no serial port bit clocking in and out performed; it just pretends that it might be happening.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2015-Sep-Wed-10-Sep

When the programmer check is commented out it will connect at any speed, what ever speed is first on the list it will get a response and go with it.

Perhaps the best solution would be to put a new variable in the machine config file, something to flag non-arduino based printers, if the flag is set have the USB connection script skip the attempt at finding the programmer.

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Return to Troubleshooting talk