g2 board not responding - firmware re-flash?

Troubleshooting talk for software

Postby foster » 2018-Aug-Tue-16-Aug

I have a Simple Pro 1608 with the G2 board. Everything had been working well, but I shut down the printer for about a week while on vacation (it is plugged into a UPS/surge protection unit). When I went to turn it back on, nothing happens on the screen, but I can hear slight noise coming from the board to know that it is getting power.

There was an easy way to redo the firmware on printrbot.cloud, but that is down now.

I think I remember successfully using the pbFU before, but there is no jumper (that I know of) on the G2 board and somewhat of a tricky drag/drop and power on the printer all at the same time. I think that I was successful in doing it in the past, but am having no luck now. Maybe it's completely dead and can't come back, but I'm hoping that a good re-flash of the firmware can work.

Can anyone help get my G2 board back up and running?

foster
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: g2 board not responding - firmware re-flash?

Postby novice » 2018-Aug-Tue-19-Aug

Believe the firmware update you mention as previously over the cloud was for the printrhub (display). The G2 board update has always been a bit more involved than that.

I believe this may be the source needed for flashing tutorial https://github.com/synthetos/g2/wiki/Flashing-g2core and the .bin files are located here https://github.com/synthetos/g2/releases

novice
I'm an end stop.

Postby foster » 2018-Aug-Thu-22-Aug

Thanks for the link to the instructions.
I followed the instructions but after this step:
Copy and paste the following line into the Terminal window:
./DueFromOSX.sh -f TinyG2.bin -p /dev/cu.usbmodem*

I get this error message:
Auto scan for device failed
Try specifying a serial port with the '-p' option

It's like the board isn't plugged in at all.

Also, I used the wayback machine to find the instructions I used to upload firmware for printing from Cura a while ago.
Updating firmware on the Printrboard
1.) Click here to download the G2Core170411 firmware. After unzipping the folder and you should have a file titled G2Core170310.bin inside.
*NOTE: Do not double-click k the firmware file in an effort to uncompress it, like you would a zipped file. If your computer thinks the firmware is a zipped file and gives it a .cpgz file extension, this will not work. You need to delete that file and re-download the firmware and try again.
2.) If you do not already have it, go to the Printrbot github and continue on to step 3. If you already have the firmware updater, skip to step 8.
3.) From the left side of your screen, Select "Branch", and then "gh-pages".
4.) You will now see a zip file named "pbFU_mac.zip".
5.) On the right side of your screen click on the green "Clone or download" icon, then select "Download Zip".
5.) Once the file has been downloaded, open it. Inside you should see pbFU_mac.zip. Double click the file to unzip it. Once the file has been unzipped, you will see a new item named "pbFU". Move that app to your applications folder or to your desktop. When that is complete, you are ready to use the firmware updater.
8.) Open up the firmware-updater software.
9.) Connect your Simple Pro (powered OFF) to your computer with a standard USB cable.
10.) Power ON your Simple Pro. While the bot is booting up, drag the firmware file (G2Core170310) and drop it onto the firmware-updater, then click "Next". Follow the prompts until you receive the "writing firmware" message. The firmware update can take up to 5min.
11.) Once the firmware has been successfully updated, turn off the power to your Simple Pro. After 15 seconds, turn power back on. You have now successfully uploaded new firmware, and are ready to continue on to setting up Cura 2.

foster

Postby foster » 2018-Aug-Mon-12-Aug

Is it possible/likely that the board is dead and cannot be resuscitated?
Or more likely I'm doing something wrong?
Any other tests I can run to see if it is worth continuing to try? I have a multimeter, but would need help with where to set the probes and the settings.

Thanks,

Foster

foster

Return to Troubleshooting talk