Running Printrbot Jr on crappy Android tablet?

Newbie talk about software tools, drivers, etc

Postby GoodAsh03 » 2015-Mar-Wed-15-Mar

Hello!

I have a Printrbot Jr that I am trying to run off of a cheap $30 Android tablet. The tablet properly runs GCodeSimulator (free). According to the GCodeSim website, the free version will operate the printer but will not allow printing. But I can't even get the tablet to recognize the printer. I plugged it into the tablet's micro USB and clicked "connect" on the app but all I got was a "No USB Device found." error. I tested the free app with the same printer and USB cable on another, better tablet and it worked. I connected a thumb drive to the micro USB connection on the cheap tablet and it also worked.

I also installed RapidApp but it won't connect either. I installed PRINT3R but it doesn't run properly on the cheapy tablet.

The $30 tablet gives me some root access to its files. Is it possible to install a USB driver so the tablet will recognize the Printrbot Jr? Could it be that the tablet doesn't support USB-OTG?

The tablet was ordered from DealsMachine. It called "7 inch Q8 Android 4.2 Cheap Tablet PC A23 Dual Core 1.5GHz WVGA Screen Dual Cameras 8GB ROM" (I would post the links but the forum won't let me since this is my first thread on this forum).

What do you think? Am I SoL?

Thanks a lot!
Jeremy

The hardware specs are:

Basic Information
Type Tablet PC
OS Android 4.2
CPU Brand All Winner
CPU A23
GPU Mali-400 MP
Core Dual Core, 1.5GHz

Storage
RAM 512MB DDR3 (418.40MB available)
ROM 8GB (1007.90MB+4.18GB available)
External memory: TF card up to 32GB (not included)

Network
WiFi 802.11b/g/n wireless internet
GPS No
Bluetooth No

Connectivity
TF Card Slot Yes
Micro USB Slot Yes
DC Jack Yes
3.5mm Headphone Jack Yes

General
Battery Capacity 2400mAh
Battery / Run Time (up to) 3 hours video playing time
AC adapter 100-240V 5V 2A
Material of back cover Plastic
G-sensor Supported
Skype Supported
Youtube Supported
Speaker Supported
MIC Supported

Additional Features
Gravity Sensing System, Wi-Fi, MP4, OTG, MP3, Calculator, E-book, Calendar, Browser, Alarm, Video Call, Sound Recorder

GoodAsh03
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Newbie talk