Smalls after the build

Newbie talk about software tools, drivers, etc

Smalls after the build

Postby Dipstick » 2017-May-Sat-13-May

Hello everyone,

I just finished my Smalls build. Got it Monday and it took me 4 days a few hours a day. I took my time to make sure I got it right with no mistakes. It went pretty well.
Now I am starting to have problems. I can't seem to be able to connect to Cura. First off when I try to connect to the printer using the bed leveling wizard it says failed to establish connection. Also the SD card is not seen in File Explorer.
Is there anyone that is familiar with the Smalls that can get me up and running? Iv'e been to Printrbots site but everything seems to be scatterd there and what actually is for the Smalls.

Thanks in advance
Dipstick

Dipstick
Loading filament...

Smalls after the build

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Smalls after the build

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-May-Sat-15-May

Is your computer a Windows one? When you plug in the USB cable and power-up you should hear the "ba-ding" connecting sound, and then you should see a new entry in Device Manager.

Is the card in the printer a Printrboard, or one of the new cards that Printrbot just came out with? If it's a Printrboard, and you have a Windows computer, then depending on your Windows version (mainly before W-10) you may need to run the "teensy" COM port installer. Then you'll have a COM port with a number that you can see in Device Manager. Cura should be able to find it.

I don't think the Printrboard makes the SD card visible to Windows; I think you have to physically plug the card into your computer and then physically plug it into the printer (back when computers at work were not all connected to the LAN, we used to call that "sneakernet").

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Dipstick » 2017-May-Sat-16-May

I have Windows 10. When I turn on the printer with the SD card already plugged in I don't get a ba-ding and there is nothing new in device manager. The board in the printer is a REV. F5 and the green led is on. I swapped the SD card like you said but the computer still doesn't see it when in the printer. When it was in the computer the card was empty. About 93 K used. If I need Teensy where do I find it?

Dipstick
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-May-Sat-17-May

I've never used an SD card, but the idea is that the printer will automatically execute the G-code contained in the SD card when the printer is turned on and an SD card is inserted - so it doesn't surprise me that the Printrboard turns its attention to the SD card rather than the computer when an SD card is installed. But I may be all wet on that; maybe the Printrboard will talk to both at the same time; maybe the SD card is supposed to be visible to the computer - though I doubt it. But for sure, you CAN operate the printer without the SD card at all, simply using the USB cable. I've done it for years.

The teensy "driver" is actually a little program that turns on a feature already built into Windows, allowing a USB port to be used as a virtual COM port. The baud rate and parity don't matter and are ignored; it actually communicates at the maximum rate of the USB port. This post talks about it a bit more and has a link to where to get it: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11026&p=70922#p70922 Supposedly you don't need to do this in W-10, but it won't hurt to try.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Sat-22-May

The SD card isn't directly visible in the sense it doesn't become a mounted drive, but you can access it through Repetier-Host to write files (slowly), list filenames, and start printing from them. I've had one plugged into my bot since I got it 5 years ago, maybe printed from it twice.

Never tried offline printing from it, but iirc you name the files auto0.g through (at least) auto9.g and they will print in order.

The usual replace the USB cable recommendation applies. They're getting cheaper and more fragile all the time.

Kirk

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Sat-22-May

You don't need the teensy driver for W10, and it'll be a pain to even try if it's unsigned. It just maps the USB device ID to the stock USB serial driver, no special magic. It's a different ID than the usual suspect devices, that's all

Kirk

How often do I need to delete the stupid Tapatalk signiture anyway?

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Dipstick » 2017-May-Sun-05-May

Jay - I'm not worried about the SD card, It was just in there. I'll experiment with that later. It's the same without the SD card.

Kirk - Iv'e tried 2 other usb cables and and it's the same.

Like I say all I have completed is the build. What are the next steps in order to see the printer and start printing?
Do I need to worry about the bed leveling at this point?

Mike

Dipstick
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Sun-08-May

Open a ticket with Printrbot, sounds like you might have a dead board the warranty should cover. They'll run you through the standard script just to make sure but from afar it sounds like it's DRT (dead right there, DOA means at the hospital)

Kirk

Removed the signature, again. Like this G5+, but no need to announce it every time...

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Dipstick » 2017-May-Sun-10-May

Just opened a ticket with Printrbot. We'll see what happens.

Dipstick
Loading filament...

Postby Dipstick » 2017-Jun-Sat-11-Jun

This has been solved. Took 2 weeks of back and fourth but they finally sent me a board. Hopefully no more problems.
Mike

Dipstick
Loading filament...

Return to Newbie talk