Guys, this might be a n00b question, so please be kind... I'm looking for halp. I might be overthinking some of this. I can't be the only person looking to do this...
1. I have a Printrbot Simple Metal that I upgraded the Z and X axis on. Of course that required that I go from the Rev D to a Rev F printrboard, so I ordered it - received a Printrboard F6.
2. I'm looking to upgrade to the E3D v6, which has a thermisitor that requires a firmware modification.
3. I'm having trouble finding the firmware source code (which of course is compiled to a hex, preloaded to my current printrboard F6).
A few questions come to mind:
1. If Printrbot is using Marlin forks, would that mean that it should be GPL code?
2. Does anyone anywhere have a precompiled .hex for Printrbot Simple Metal (the old one), for Printrboard F6, which might get me running with the E3D V6, skipping the source step?
3. Does anyone know where the source is? The Printrbot site has a lot of dead links. :-/ Not complaining. Just searching...
4. Would it be better to search high and low for a F5 board, since I have a .hex for it? Or alternatively will the F5 .hex work on the .F6 board - properly? (In my PC repair days, doing that meant you had a paperweight.)
Here's where I've looked:
1. Google (of course)
2. Searched the forum (Lots on F5).
3. Searched through the Wiki in the upper left (the wiki says it's old info?).
4. Asked E3D (dead end, advised to consult the manufacturer).
5. I got down on my hands and knees, praying to the support god Andre at Printrbot Support, humbly requesting, begging for info on where they might have this source code posted - all complete with a tithe of four gold bars, 6 bars or gold pressed latinum, and an incense offering.
(The answer from the support heavens was "Dear son, how dare you question me, asking for source code is profanity. You shall be cursed for four generations")
(Better to laugh than to cry
It's not for the lack of trying that I've not figured this out yet. :-/