:?: Printrboard F6 Firmware Source for Simple Metal

Newbie talk about software tools, drivers, etc

Postby TechCat » 2016-Nov-Wed-19-Nov

:?: Guys, this might be a n00b question, so please be kind... I'm looking for halp. I might be overthinking some of this. I can't be the only person looking to do this...

1. I have a Printrbot Simple Metal that I upgraded the Z and X axis on. Of course that required that I go from the Rev D to a Rev F printrboard, so I ordered it - received a Printrboard F6.
2. I'm looking to upgrade to the E3D v6, which has a thermisitor that requires a firmware modification.
3. I'm having trouble finding the firmware source code (which of course is compiled to a hex, preloaded to my current printrboard F6).

A few questions come to mind:
1. If Printrbot is using Marlin forks, would that mean that it should be GPL code?
2. Does anyone anywhere have a precompiled .hex for Printrbot Simple Metal (the old one), for Printrboard F6, which might get me running with the E3D V6, skipping the source step?
3. Does anyone know where the source is? The Printrbot site has a lot of dead links. :-/ Not complaining. Just searching...
4. Would it be better to search high and low for a F5 board, since I have a .hex for it? Or alternatively will the F5 .hex work on the .F6 board - properly? (In my PC repair days, doing that meant you had a paperweight.)

Here's where I've looked:
1. Google (of course)
2. Searched the forum (Lots on F5).
3. Searched through the Wiki in the upper left (the wiki says it's old info?).
4. Asked E3D (dead end, advised to consult the manufacturer).
5. I got down on my hands and knees, praying to the support god Andre at Printrbot Support, humbly requesting, begging for info on where they might have this source code posted - all complete with a tithe of four gold bars, 6 bars or gold pressed latinum, and an incense offering.
(The answer from the support heavens was "Dear son, how dare you question me, asking for source code is profanity. You shall be cursed for four generations")
(Better to laugh than to cry :lol: )

It's not for the lack of trying that I've not figured this out yet. :-/

TechCat
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: :?: Printrboard F6 Firmware Source for Simple Metal

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Nov-Wed-20-Nov

There was a link in that wiki to the source code: https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/releases, but it is easy to miss.

That link takes you to a fork or branch of Marlin that has been spun off by Printrbot. There is also a site on Github for Marlin independent of Printrbot. If you ever learn how to do an effective search on Github, let me know.

Marlin is written in Arduino, which is a superset of C++. Generally, to modify Marlin source code, you don't need to actually modify lines of instructions; you just set up the constants and "flags" for the compiler in "Configuration.h" and Configuration_Adv.h"

Actually, you didn't need to change boards; the Rev D board can do everything the Rev F board does. The Rev F has better connectors for the Heated Bed (making it safer) and it has better facilities for setting up the bed-leveling probe (should you choose to use it) - but the Rev D board has been used by many people for both of these things.

The firmware for the two boards is different and incompatible. The boards use different I/O bits for the Y "endstop" switch, and the Rev F has software-controlled "digipots" for setting the motor currents.

I think Printrbot has a precompiled hex for "legacy" Printrbots upgraded to Rev F boards. Printrbot versions of Marlin allow you to set the bed size in EEPROM; AFIK, the mainstream Marlin does not.

Some people use a standard Printrbot thermistor instead of the E3D thermistor, thus avoiding the problem with having to use a different thermistor table. Printrbot's precompiled hex files will NOT be using the E3D thermistor. But... if you are willing to consider the temperature readout to be "just a number" and not truly accurate, you can use the E3D thermistor with Printrbot's firmware. They agree at 25C, but there's about a 20 degree offset at operating temperature (I forget which direction).

Oh, and see the forum's section for Software Hacks. There are some good "sticky" threads in there, and lots of other good info.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby TechCat » 2016-Nov-Wed-22-Nov

THANK YOU! Exactly what I was looking for. You're right, I'm seeing it in the wiki now.

Once I get some molex connectors in from digikey, I'll be on the e3d! :D

I am slightly impaired until my glasses are ready at the eye doc. I'm like Mr. Magoo, if you remember that cartoon. (Most people my age are like "huh?")

TechCat
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Nov-Wed-22-Nov

TechCat wrote:I am slightly impaired until my glasses are ready at the eye doc. I'm like Mr. Magoo, if you remember that cartoon. (Most people my age are like "huh?")

Yes, I remember. Also Rocket J. Squirrel and Bullwinkle. Howdy Doody, Captain Kangaroo, Dobie Gillis, Anette on the Mousketeers... In fact, I remember enjoying the Lone Ranger when he was on the radio, not the TV!

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Newbie talk