[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Configuration

Configuration

Hardware talk for newbies: questions, advice etc

Configuration

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Feb-Sat-21-Feb

I read the getting started guide but was confused. I am having trouble with my gears. My extrusion will not work. Please help. I made a video. PBtalk wont let me link my video so I will type it out in a different way.
youtu . be / lyZim pQYajI
Make sure to take out the spaces.
Lucas

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Configuration

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Configuration

Postby halley » 2013-Feb-Sat-22-Feb

The slicing program has no idea how big your print area is. When you opened pronterface, your part's gcode went too far up and to the right, because the gcode was centered too far from home.

For the Printrbot Jr, I use these settings.

If you're trying to slice directly from Pronterface, you need to set the slicing settings properly as well.

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby halley » 2013-Feb-Sat-22-Feb

Watching farther, you have a second (main) problem with getting no hot plastic.

I would suggest trying to get plastic without trying to print any model. Just move the extruder to the middle of the bed, and move the Z up so you can reach the tip with some tweezers.

Are you using PLA or ABS? In Pronterface, are you selecting the matching plastic type? The Pronterface logs on your screen show a T200.03 meaning extruder temperature is around 200ºC. That's hot for PLA but not hot enough for ABS. Without trying to print a model, you can use Pronterface's temperature controls to WATCH the temperature and set it to 185 PLA or 230 ABS. You can try to extrude 5mm of material at 20mm/sec. The idea is to get this working before you try printing models.

Is the filament getting shredded by the hobbed bolt? Is the filament far enough down into the extruder to get hot?

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Feb-Sun-09-Feb

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I am using PLA and I am selecting PLA in pronterface's screen. I will fix the Slic3r problem as well. What do you mean is my filament being shredded by the hobbed bolt? I am a newbie and have no idea what you are talking about. I know that the extruder is functioning because whenever I FORCE plastic down the extruder it comes out melted. The extruder itself can't seem to squeeze out any plastic. Also, I still have the object that came with my Jr. and I don't know how to take it off.
Thanks for your time,
Lucas

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Feb-Sun-12-Feb

The "hobbed bolt" is the large bolt in the extruder, with the knurled section in the middle, to which the large gear is attached. The filament is gripped between the knurled section and the spring-loaded bearing, and when the gear turns, the bolt pulls filament down into the hotend.

If the filament is not being gripped tightly enough by the hobbed bolt, it will slip and not pull the filament. If the tension is too much, it will mangle the filament and also cause problems.

Release the tension, remove the hobbed bolt and look for ground filament in the knurled section. Clean it off with a wire brush, replace it, and adjust the tension as needed. You also want to make sure that the filament is resting in the groove of the knurled section and not elsewhere on the bolt.

Edit - here's a nice photo showing the hobbed bolt.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Feb-Sun-22-Feb

Thanks again for the quick response, I will do this but I am wondering about something else. How do I take objects off of the bed. The object that shipped with the bed is still on my printer. I don't want to print a calibration cube because it will be messed up by the object already there.

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Feb-Sun-23-Feb

I just got the extrusion working. I just cannot print because of the object that is in the middle of the printbed.
Lucas

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby halley » 2013-Feb-Mon-06-Feb

The assembled bot came with a test print already on the bed, and it's still there? The white box in the video?

Just grip it firmly and twist. In an extreme case, use a hobby knife to poke under one corner, just don't make a big gouge in the surface of the bed.

Then rub it down with some acetone (fingernail polish remover) until you almost don't see where it was stuck down. It will clean off any finger oils so the next print can stick.

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Feb-Mon-09-Feb

Thanks, perfect, I am almost completely ready to print. My Z axis is very low, and I don't know how to configure it. Also, I fixed it but the printer was not getting extrusion again. How to I tighten the hobbed bolt for next time.
So sorry to waste your time,
Lucas

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby halley » 2013-Feb-Mon-10-Feb

At the back/top of the lowest cabinet part, there's a little hole. If you look into the hole, there's a metal flap that you can poke gently with a screwdriver. You'll hear a tiny clicking sound of a switch. There should be a long screw pointing down from the moving parts directly over this hole. This screw is meant for adjusting. The idea is to adjust that screw so that it will click the switch at the exact Z level you want the bed to stop. When you hit the Pronterface "Home Z" button, it lowers the carriage until that switch clicks. It then raises up a little bit, and tries again slower, to be sure it has the exact location of the click.

(There's two more switches like this in the printer. See if you can find them. The same concept applies to those, as well.)

The two long screws with springs at the very top of the bot are meant for adjusting. They adjust the compression of the filament between the hobbed bolt and the roller bearing. The idea is to find the happy medium adjustment that lets the ridges in the hobbed bolt "bite" into the filament without crushing or grinding up the filament entirely. Once it bites into the filament, it can shove the filament forcefully down into the hot part of the extruder.

You don't want the hobbed bolt itself to be tight - it should be able to wiggle toward the black herringbone >>> gear or toward the nut just a little. This allows the gear to mesh with the white herringbone >>> gear properly. The large nut on the back is mostly to make sure the whole bolt or its bearings can't escape.

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Feb-Wed-18-Feb

I don't know how to tighten it. Sometimes, the extrusion will work part of the time and then will stop in the middle. The calibration is perfect and I just got scotch blue painters tape so the bed is covered. Sometimes, even holding the extrusion it won't work. It is inconsistent and I have to watch over it. Please help ASAP!!!

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Feb-Wed-19-Feb

I am not getting consistent results. It is working perfectly right now but isn't extruding any plastic.

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-Feb-Wed-20-Feb

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Feb-Wed-20-Feb

It also seems like the white gear is shedding on the Black gear. Whenever I hold the hobbed bolt mechanism together I get plastic out of it, but otherwise it is completely inconsistent.

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Feb-Wed-20-Feb

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Mar-Sat-15-Mar

nvm found a solution thx

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-Mar-Tue-23-Mar

What ended up being your issue? Are you printing ok now?

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby 508Parkour » 2013-Mar-Wed-19-Mar

I have to hold the print head so that I can get plastic. I ordered clamps to make it automatic

508Parkour
I'm an end stop.

Return to Newbie talk