filaments other than ABS or PLA

Hardware talk for newbies: questions, advice etc

Postby harveyl » 2013-Feb-Tue-20-Feb

Hi,
I'm a total newbie to the world of 3D printing but it excites me and I'm looking to get my first printer with the printrbot high up on the list.

I'm interested in printing in chemically-resistant material in order to make customizable reactors. Polypropylene (PP) and HDPE are two materials which would be of interest - I've seen a few reports of test runs, mainly with repraps. Has anyone tried to print with PP or HDPE on a printrbot?

Also, I came across this site:
http://www.taulman3d.com/
where they seem to have a nylon co-polymer that looks really interesting. It's been tested with a printrbot at a temperature of 238-247. Has anyone in this forum tried it out?

Thanks,
Harvey

harveyl
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: filaments other than ABS or PLA

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Feb-Tue-21-Feb

Some discussion here about Nylon 618.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Feb-Mon-18-Feb

And some more here using a specific cheap weed wacker twine.

Sorry; I'm just slow.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Feb-Mon-21-Feb

I've been using Taulman3D nylon for a month now. In fact, I only ever used ABS to print one thing (Mr. Jaws) - and decided the fumes were too bad for me to use the printer in the house. Nylon is almost (not quite) odor-free.

Nylon makes nice strong objects that are not brittle, and they won't break down with age. It's immune to almost all organic chemicals (strong acid is about the only way to attack it).

In the world of 3D printing, it has the disadvantage that it continues to flow out from your nozzle even after you have withdrawn the feed filament out of the hot zone. That is to say, there must be a pool of molten plastic that continues to ooze out. This makes certain parts of certain prints rather "blobby" or "stringy." So it depends on what your goal is. I would not recommend nylon for creating art. But for engineering prototypes where you have some control over where the "difficult" points land, it can be great.

Another unique property of nylon is that it doesn't stick to anything. Since 3D printing requires a base layer that's fixed down to a flat bed, that's a problem. However there are solutions. See viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2391

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2013-Feb-Tue-12-Feb

I've been using nylon, wood and polystyrene, as well as ABS and PLA. i printed the nautical gears in each material and place to post them in the forum soon.

WIth the Taulman Nylon 618, i have to say its very very strong and flexible. there is none of that sounds of layers breaking when you bend it (like with ABS). however it is very very stringy and ooze like niagara falls. :shock: no amoutn of retraction helps. so with prints with open spaces i get lots of stringy infill that i didn't ask for. and because nylon is so strong its hard to clean up. i think its good for prints that have less small details and open areas. although if you need strength you can print with it and clean up the print. the nautilus gears work but barely.

polystyrene is the opposite: very precise printing and clean clean prints. but its not very strong at all, the weakest material of the 5 i've tried so far.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Michele31415 » 2013-Oct-Wed-11-Oct

Anyone seen this stuff? http://store.makerbot.com/flexible-filament.html They're pretty cagey about it - lots of specs, except for the actual name. "Flexible filament", OK - what is it? At $130 per 2.2 lbs., it must be very special indeed!

I'd like to find something that I can make flexible objects with, like custom sized washers.

PB+ no. 2548 (Oct. 2012) - This is my Printrbot. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
GT-2 belts and metal pulleys, x&y; Injection molded extruder gears
40 mm. cooling fan, glass bed, LED extruder lights, pilot light
Anti-jam extruder feed tube, roller filament guide, soldered bed heater connection
Michele31415
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby SilverFingers » 2013-Oct-Wed-22-Oct

Michele31415 wrote:Anyone seen this stuff? http://store.makerbot.com/flexible-filament.html They're pretty cagey about it - lots of specs, except for the actual name. "Flexible filament", OK - what is it? At $130 per 2.2 lbs., it must be very special indeed!

I'd like to find something that I can make flexible objects with, like custom sized washers.

Check out NinjaFlex: http://www.fennerdrives.com/ninjaflex3dprinting/_/3d/

Or filaflex (1.75mm coming soon) : http://recreus.com/?post_type=product

Click HERE to help me win a free 3D Printer!

Printrbot Jr v1
Bowden Extruder
M8 threaded rod
Heated Bed
Lots of mods

Printrbot Rules! :D
SilverFingers
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Michele31415 » 2013-Oct-Wed-23-Oct

Thanks! That looks like just what I was looking for. Unfortunately, no matter which type or color I select, it always says

"Pricing information is not currently available for the selected item. Please try again later. "

Perhaps they're part of the government shutdown.

PB+ no. 2548 (Oct. 2012) - This is my Printrbot. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Anti-jam extruder feed tube, roller filament guide, soldered bed heater connection
Michele31415
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Oct-Thu-17-Oct

I use makergeeks.com a lot as they have every kind of filament I could imagine at good prices. I was pretty impressed with less than 24hr response to emails. All in all they have been a pleasure to work with. They even stock conductive filament. I have some but I haven't tested out the conductive filament yet but I've used the majority of their other stuff and it works well.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby Michele31415 » 2013-Oct-Fri-13-Oct

REPRAP SQUAD wrote:They even stock conductive filament. I have some but I haven't tested out the conductive filament yet but I've used the majority of their other stuff and it works well.

Have you measured the actual resistance of this stuff? I could think of all sorts of cool applications if it was a good conductor.

Michele31415
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Oct-Fri-14-Oct

[quote="Michele31415]Have you measured the actual resistance of this stuff? I could think of all sorts of cool applications if it was a good conductor.[/quote]
It's quite high, 10,000 ohm-cm. Makergeeks says 104, but that's likely a misprint of 10 superscript 4. RetireeJay can probably tell you what that means for a cm of typical 0.3*0.7mm extruded filament. My friend Sly Drool is out of reach.

Over on cnczone Hoss has somewhat successfully printed with pewter. It liquifies and has serious dribbling problems, but it can be done. Reprap.org has discussions about printing with fine copper wire.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Tdeagan » 2013-Oct-Fri-16-Oct

Michele31415 wrote:
REPRAP SQUAD wrote:They even stock conductive filament. I have some but I haven't tested out the conductive filament yet but I've used the majority of their other stuff and it works well.

Have you measured the actual resistance of this stuff? I could think of all sorts of cool applications if it was a good conductor.

I bought some of this. It's conductive in the same manner as the static control packages that chips are sent in. I've been back and forth with the Makergeeks on the conductivity. Here's the last they sent me:
"Hey Tim, I did a little test print; about 20 layers thick and about 4" long and hit it with 12v and I was reading about 10.8v at the other end of the trace. So it's not copper that's for sure but still pretty cool for something that you can 3D print with"

My tests so far show it to be less conductive than that (I'm seeing mega-ohm resistance,) but I'm still playing with it. They seem to have lit some LEDs with it.

Tim Deagan
KC5QFG
(optional Dual Extrusion) Printrbot Plus V1 [3/2013]
bed stabilizers, bed levelers, Y & X belt tensioners,
50mm fan mount, LED ring light, Z-axis screw Isolators,
Z-shaft stabilizers,optional Bowden conversion, GT2 belts/pulleys,
M8x1.25 Z Screws, Flex. Z-couplers,
RAMPS 1.4 w/ LCD,
Quick Change Extruders:
Option 1- Dual hybrid geared Wade's/Bowden w/ 3mm & 1.75mm Ubis,
Option 2 - Dual direct geared Wade's w/ 3mm & 1.75mm Ubis
Option 3 - Single geared Wade's w/ 3mm or 1.75mm Ubis
Option 4 - Single belt drive Wade's w/ E3D
MIC-6 metal bed
Thingiverse Profile: http://www.thingiverse.com/tdeagan/designs
Tdeagan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Oct-Fri-17-Oct

Tdeagan wrote:"Hey Tim, I did a little test print; about 20 layers thick and about 4" long and hit it with 12v and I was reading about 10.8v at the other end of the trace. So it's not copper that's for sure but still pretty cool for something that you can 3D print with"

That test condition is obviously not designed by an electrical engineer - or if it is, he's intentionally trying to hide the facts. Because you need to know (A) how much current was flowing and (B) the cross-sectional area of the conductor in order to calculate the resistivity. How thick were the layers? And how wide was the printed object? And how much current was flowing? If all he was using was a voltmeter, then the current flow was very low.

In previous work with my employer a few years ago, I really searched diligently for a conductive plastic but at that time all the candidates were, as Tim says, in the mega-ohms range. Don't expect to print an operating circuit board with this stuff. It's OK for draining static charge, but not much more.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Newbie talk