Lemon/Football circles fixed!

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby Tdeagan » 2013-Mar-Wed-15-Mar

I'd been having a lot of trouble with circles all printing on my Printrbot Plus with corners, the term 'lemon' and 'football' circles are used by folks with similar problems. This appeared to be an X backlash problem since it seemed that the system was lagging when adding X vector to the Y motion.

My X-Axis belt was really tight, so it wasn't obvious backlash. However, based on the PB+ assembly instructions step 142 (sorry, system won't let me post an offsite link) , the bolt connecting 220 to 232 had a nut on the OUTSIDE. The belt was actually pulling the motor mounting frame out of square. It was positively trapezoidal! This was causing the gear on the motor shaft to rub against the x-axis main frame.

I took it apart and put the nut on the INSIDE of 232 (see picture below). This serves as a more effective stand-off than the wooden peg and let me true-up the mount. The belt tension holds the motor against the frame, but I'll add another nut on the OUTSIDE for insurance.

motor.jpg

Now the system is printing GREAT!! You can see the difference in the (mr. blurrycam) calibration circle before and after:
circles.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Deagan
KC5QFG
(optional Dual Extrusion) Printrbot Plus V1 [3/2013]
bed stabilizers, bed levelers, Y & X belt tensioners,
50mm fan mount, LED ring light, Z-axis screw Isolators,
Z-shaft stabilizers,optional Bowden conversion, GT2 belts/pulleys,
M8x1.25 Z Screws, Flex. Z-couplers,
RAMPS 1.4 w/ LCD,
Quick Change Extruders:
Option 1- Dual hybrid geared Wade's/Bowden w/ 3mm & 1.75mm Ubis,
Option 2 - Dual direct geared Wade's w/ 3mm & 1.75mm Ubis
Option 3 - Single geared Wade's w/ 3mm or 1.75mm Ubis
Option 4 - Single belt drive Wade's w/ E3D
MIC-6 metal bed
Thingiverse Profile: http://www.thingiverse.com/tdeagan/designs
Tdeagan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Lemon/Football circles fixed!

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Mar-Wed-16-Mar

Very interesting. I had noticed that the mount isn't the most stable thing in the world, though on my PB it doesn't seem to be a problem. I have added extra nuts for stability in other places, though.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Return to Troubleshooting talk