[Fixed]PB+ wont use full range of print area?

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Sat-02-Oct

I have a Printrbot Plus. In Pronterface I can only move the print head in aprox 130x150mm area. If I print with 100x100 as the center anything beyond the 130x150 area gets smashed along the edge (IE just makes a big blob along the edge). Even though I have 200x200 marked in Slic3r v.0.9.3. I was able to change the center to 60x60 and print a calibration thingy http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29612

Below are my current calibrations. Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing?
Thanks
Troy
Code: Select all
M92 E654 ; calibrate E
M92 X62.7675 ; calibrate X
M92 Y63.0902 ; calibrate Y
M92 Z2387.0719 ; calibrate Z

Last edited by troyb on 2012-Oct-Fri-00-Oct, edited 2 times in total.
troyb
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: PB+ wont use full range of bed?

Postby plexus » 2012-Oct-Sat-16-Oct

you have to enter the exact size of your print area (not the print bed) in both your slicing app and in your host app (Pronterface etc). you also have to put in the centre dimensions. if you are just using the full print area then use 1/2 of the X and Y for centre. the centre fields are there in case you want to use something other than 1/2 X and Y as centre. use the usable print area not the size of the print bed.

plexus
Site Admin

Re: PB+ wont use full range of print area?

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Sun-00-Oct

Plexus,
Thank you for your reply. I believe I have messed up my terminology. I believe my problem is I can't get the bot to use the full print area. In pronterface under options i have 200x200x200+0+0+0 for the build_dimensions. In Slic3r I have bed size: x=200 y=200mm. For the center I have x=100 y=100. Some photos of my problem below.

bed size= 200x200 center =60x60
DSC_0511.jpg

bed size= 200x200 center =100
DSC_0510.jpg

I kept both gcode files from these prints to share if needed.

Thanks in advance.
Troy
edit: I labeled the photos backwards! oops

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
troyb
Loading filament...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Wed-21-Oct

Still not having any luck trying to get my Printrbot Plus to use the full 200x200 print area. In Pronterface I can manually move the head 140x120. I have had the same results with repetier host. Any prints outside this 140x120 area will just print to the edge of the area. See photos on the last post above. After some searching I believe this could be cased by a firmware endstop? Has anyone else had this problem? I will E-mail PBHQ to try to get some more answers.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby lwalkera » 2012-Oct-Wed-22-Oct

Did you home the bot before trying to manually move it?

Laine Walker-Avina
Printrbot Beta-tester and Printrboard Designer
lwalkera
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Thu-00-Oct

Yes. I have homed the bot each time before trying to manually move it.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby Pyro Steel » 2012-Oct-Thu-12-Oct

i could just be beating a dead horse here but have you read through this?
http://printrbot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Printrbot-Getting-Started-Guide2.pdf
they sugest callibration settings in pronterface to be -

M92 X64.8592 ; calibrate X
M92 Y64.8592 ; calibrate Y
M92 Z2387.0719 ; calibrate Z
M92 E569 ; calibrate E

your numbers are way close to that but.. i dont know, maybe just copy that and past it into your slicer start/end code tab.
page 2 starts the calibration section. I just followed that and haven't had a single problem as far as bed space is concerned
i would also double check your stops, but from the picture that doesn't look to be the problem.
Are you y motors still running when this happens? It almost looks like they might be stalling. Id'e run another test print or just run the bed back and forth in your printing program and watch your y bed motors to see if they are skipping on the belt. If that is happening the printer would think its moved enough, but since the belt wasnt actually being pulled it would stop... im fairly new at this myself but had a garbage load of issues with my y motors when i first got my bot.
probably not alot of help, but i hope this gets yeah printing sooner!
Good luck dude!

Pyro Steel
Levelling print bed...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Thu-15-Oct

Pyro,
Thanks for your reply. I have tried to do the print area calibtration on page 2 of the guide. The issue that I have is after homing the bot pronterface will not let me move the head more than 140mm on the x axis and 120 on the y axis. I have updated my slic3r and made sure I have the bed size as 200x200. In pronterface I have the bed set to 200x200x200+0+0+0.
I have taken of the bed to check the Y motor belt and bearings. Everything seems to be moving with only the resistance of the motor holding the bed back. I can easly print objects if I change the center of the bed to 60x70. On the calibration thing I'm printing currently 100.09 mm on a 100 object. Not purfect but close.

A few things I'm going to try when I get home from work.
- turn down pots on the printrboard. They too hot while printing. (Too much current)
- take gears off motors to make sure they are not too close and binding against the motor case/ plywood. Double check the flats on the motors.

Even if both of these cases are true I should still be able to move the head to the other side of print area. I will post some more news later tonight. Lets hope I don't break the gears when I try to take them off.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Sat-20-Oct

Turned down the pots so the motors do not make so much noise and heat. I have found during long prints (I believe the last one was 1.5 hours) the motors still heat up. Is this normal? If not I'll have to mess with my pots again. Do I need to keep some pots higher than others? Right now I'm just keeping them all the same. Took a look at the gears to see if they are to close to the motor case. Looks like there is enough room for the motors to turn freely. So I dont believe it is a issue.
Still no luck trying to get the printrbot to use the full range of the print bed.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby lincolnep » 2012-Oct-Mon-03-Oct

I don't know if this has been said before but have you tryed moving it to all extreams of each axis and seeing in the hotend can reach all of the hotbed with out jaming?

Linc

lincolnep
Levelling print bed...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Mon-20-Oct

Linc,
I can move the hotend to all extreams of each axis by hand without binding.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby lincolnep » 2012-Oct-Mon-20-Oct

Ok what are the steps you go through to start a print?

Are you sliceing with pronterface or with slic3r?

Also you mite want to try Repetier-Host insted of pronterface ( http://www.repetier.com/download/ )
I have been use it for a while now never know it mite help!

Linc

lincolnep
Levelling print bed...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Mon-21-Oct

Linc,
I'm currently slicing in Sli3r 0.9.3. Then I load the gcode into pronterface and print from there. I curenly have 200x200 set as the print area (pronterface too). Though I have yet to make a print with Repetier-Host I have the same issue where I cannot manually move the print head to the other side of the bed. I will try to make a test print with Repetier-Host tonight so see if that will fix anything. I would expect the same results though. I'll let you know how it goes in about 1 hr.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Mon-21-Oct

Just tried to print with Repetier. Same issue. Just like the photo above with it all smashed along the edge.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby lincolnep » 2012-Oct-Tue-21-Oct

Nearly totaly stumped!

One last thing to try

can you run this code M503 in pronterface and paste what it out puts.
It is the eeprom setting print command.

Linc

lincolnep
Levelling print bed...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Tue-22-Oct

Linc,
Here is the reply from the printer.
Code: Select all
>>>M503
SENDING:M503
echo:Steps per unit:
echo:  M92 X63.36 Y63.36 Z2272.72 E640.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo:  M203 X60.00 Y60.00 Z2.00 E14.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo:  M201 X2000 Y2000 Z30 E10000
echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
echo:  M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum xY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s)
echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
echo:PID settings:
echo:   M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00

Right now I have a found a new issue. I have been trying to calibrate the E stepper. No matter what number I change the E stepper still puts out 34.43mm. I see in the code above that it says E is 640. I just dropped it way back to 300 and I get the same result. If I open the options menu in pronterface i have E set at 300 (to test). I have also tried to open the Gcode and save it in pronterface. I'm going to try to look up some commands to change the E in the command window.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby lincolnep » 2012-Oct-Tue-22-Oct

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

this should help

the code you are looking for is
M92 E300

this will only set it until you reboot

Repetier has a easy way of setting all the settings with out having to know them it is under eeprom printer settings or something like that it will also save it to the printrboard so when you reboot it the changes will stay.

I will keep having a look at it and let you know if i come up with anything

Linc

lincolnep
Levelling print bed...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Tue-23-Oct

I was able to change the E number in Repetier. Now I have to finish calibrating the E steps. Thank you for your help. -Troy

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Wed-22-Oct

Did some reading through the G-code wiki. I thought that the M208 axis limit would fix my problems. I tired M208 X200 Y200 Z200 then after M500 to save to the EEPROM. It didn't take. Tried the M502 to reset the EEPROM to factory settings. Didn't help. I'm going to look for a reset on the printrboard and see if that will do anything for me. I get the feeling it maybe the same as M502.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2012-Oct-Thu-14-Oct

Troy, where are you located? Perhaps there's somebody close by, perhaps there's a local 3D printer group. The learning curve on these is pretty steep and maybe a bit of hands-on help can get you past this.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Thu-15-Oct

Located in Fairbanks Alaska. As far as I know we don't have any local 3D printing groups. Though I haven't really looked that hard either. Tonight when I get home Ill do some checking. I understand there is a learning curve I have been reading as trying as much as I can. I thought since I bought the pre assembled and "calibrated" Printrbot plus I would have less setup issues. I have posted on the Printrbot.com help forum and have yet to receive any reply. Overall I'm very happy with the prints I can make on the small section of the print area that the head can reach. I will keep posting my progress here and maybe it will help someone later on.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby lwalkera » 2012-Oct-Thu-17-Oct

When it hits the bounds of your area does it make a chattering sound as if it wants to move further, or does it just stop and remain silent?

Laine Walker-Avina
Printrbot Beta-tester and Printrboard Designer
lwalkera
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Thu-21-Oct

Just remains silent. I have tried to trick it into letting me go past. For example move it back .1 then hit +10. Or go back to zero then hit 100 then 100 again. It will always stop in the same place. If I run the M114 command the bot reports that it always stops at X142 and Y117. Every single time. I have not tried the Z to see if I'm also limited on that axis. I do home the bot before trying to move the head manually.
I have tried Pronterface and Repetier with the same results.This make be believe it is a firmware issue (maybe a software endstop?? M208???). I think the M208 axis max travel command could help me but it seems I can't get it to save to the EEPROM. (wont show up under M501) I guess I could take off a belt to triple check that the machine is not binding. Though after I turn the motors off each axis feely moves to the max.

So right now I'm trying M208 X200 Y200 Z200 enter. Then after that M500 to save to the EEPROM. Then I type M501 and it doesn't list the M208. Maybe this version of firmware doesn't support it.

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby lincolnep » 2012-Oct-Thu-22-Oct

I am starting to think it maybe firmware as well.

what about trying reflashing the firmware to see if that helps?

i was thinking of moving to Repetier-firmware myself but dont have enough time yet to try it.

Linc

lincolnep
Levelling print bed...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Thu-22-Oct

I'm going to try to read up on what it would take to reflash the firmware tonight. I've had experience with Arduino boards. This maybe a little out of my league though. Should I go with stock or just try Repetier? Thanks again for your input. -Troy

troyb
Loading filament...

Go with stock you can get the hex file and just upload that so you wont have to compile the firmware i will see if i can find you the link to the firmware and the pdf that explains how to do it.

lincolnep
Levelling print bed...

Found it!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=595

this has a link to the pdf

https://raw.github.com/PxT/Marlin/maste ... ts.cpp.hex

here is the firmware compiled i have not tryed it but all the info is in the pdf thanks to PxT awesome info

lincolnep
Levelling print bed...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Thu-23-Oct

Sweet thanks. Ill let you know how it goes...

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Fri-00-Oct

Woohoo with a flash of the default firmware I can now move the printhead to the other side of the print area! I followed the directions from this link.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68081994/printrbot/Printrbot%20Firmware.pdf

troyb
Loading filament...

Re: [Fixed]PB+ wont use full range of print area?

Postby lincolnep » 2012-Oct-Fri-02-Oct

Awesome!!! now that is a new one for the books :)

lincolnep
Levelling print bed...

Postby troyb » 2012-Oct-Fri-14-Oct

Also something to note. When I first started the Y stepper motor was turning the wrong way. I reversed the wiring to make it turn the right way. After reloading the new firmware it changed the Y motor stepping back

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby tjedlin » 2013-Jan-Wed-20-Jan

I have EXACTLY the same symptoms on my new Printrbot PLUS. Even the dimensions and backwards Y motor. I'll try the firmware fix and let you know what happens.

tjedlin
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby tjedlin » 2013-Jan-Thu-12-Jan

I have one stumbling block in my effort to update the firmware. I have installed Flip and the drivers to get it to talk to the printer board. When I click the link to the firmware it takes me to a web page with the HEX code in ASCII . How do I convert this web page to a .hex file that can be loaded into Flip? I tried copy and paste into Notepad and saving as a .hex file, but Flip says the file is not valid.

tjedlin

Postby wd5gnr » 2013-Jan-Thu-13-Jan

Did you try right click on the link or Opt+Click maybe (not a Mac guy) and then select "Save Link As..." or something like that? A hex file is just an ASCII text file with a particular format. You could probably do Save As when it is showing in the web page too but I'm always fearful of some strange format.

The good news is the software will balk if the line by line checksums don't match or if the file is malformed.

Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby tjedlin » 2013-Jan-Thu-17-Jan

Thanks wd4gnr!

Right clicking the web page displaying the hex code and choosing save as created a file that passed the test. I successfully updated the firmware and now I have a full range of motion and was able to plug the Y motor in the same way as the other motors. Obviously my printer board came from the factory with faulty firmware, perhaps from an old beta version of a printer with a smaller bed.

I am now printing some very clean objects so I think that resolves this issue.

Tony

tjedlin

Postby troyb » 2013-Jan-Thu-22-Jan

tjedlin,
Glad you got it to work!

troyb
Loading filament...

Postby tonydevito » 2013-Jan-Sun-15-Jan

Experiencing exactly the same issue including the reversed motor. Will print a few small items and try this fix!

Thanks,

Really need a banana slicer which was out of the question given the reduced print area ;-)

tonydevito

Postby Alexcheve » 2013-Jan-Mon-18-Jan

You´re all are experts! I don´t understand much of what you talk about but I have just the same problem with my PB+, it has little printing area, plus it never wants to print. Now I see I have to learn a lot on installing firmware before I proceed (and buy a PC as I have a Mac 10.6.8). Meanwhile I will still have the most expensive paperweight I have ever bough.

Have Printrbot+ kit struggling assembly from January 12 to 18, use ABS for now. Cracked glass with three bolts with strings at HotBed. Am not able to print a thing yet but getting closer thanks to you.
Alexcheve
Loading filament...

Postby plexus » 2013-Jan-Mon-19-Jan

It not a paperweight. its a 3D printer that isnt working yet. you can compile and install firmware with mac - see my post in hardware, isle 3 in the box of stickies near the front.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby getSurreal » 2013-Jul-Fri-14-Jul

Another brand new PrintrBot Plus with the exact same issue. Firmware upgrade fixed it.

Thanks to all who assisted in getting it resolved.

getSurreal

Return to Troubleshooting talk