F5 Board Not recognized ?

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby novice » 2018-Jan-Sat-18-Jan

Received an F5 board in an Adobabot kit last week. The board's LED illuminates when powered up, however the board is not recognized by either Cura or in the computer's Device Manager. Mention the Adoptabot aspect because I believe it's likely a used or refurbished board, that being said the micro usb port connection appears solid and I've tried multiple usb cables and computers. Is there something else I should look for?

novice
Waiting for extruder temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: F5 Board Not recognized ?

Postby RetireeJay » 2018-Jan-Sun-06-Jan

If you are on a Windows computer, do you get the "ba-ding" sound when you attach / power up the board?
If you have Device Manager open on-screen, does any new device show up when you attach / power up?
Have you installed the "teensy" driver that enables the USB port to software emulate a COM port for use by Cura or Repetier?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby novice » 2018-Jan-Sun-07-Jan

RetireeJay wrote:If you are on a Windows computer, do you get the "ba-ding" sound when you attach / power up the board?
If you have Device Manager open on-screen, does any new device show up when you attach / power up?
Have you installed the "teensy" driver that enables the USB port to software emulate a COM port for use by Cura or Repetier?

No audio indication of USB coupling
No indication in Device Manager
Teensy driver is installed and other printrbot boards/printers do function correctly on these computers.

novice

Postby RetireeJay » 2018-Jan-Sun-11-Jan

That doesn't sound good. If you put the programming jumper on and then (with power on) push the "Reset" switch, do you get any indication of a connection? (That puts it into programming mode, using a different USB protocol.) If not, then the board may be dead or the firmware entirely scrambled. A last resort to try to resurrect a board with scrambled firmware is to use an ISP programmer that plugs into the board separately from the USB port.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby novice » 2018-Jan-Mon-13-Jan

Thank you Jay, following your clues regarding the jumper/reset, the AT90USB128 then showed in the Device Manager. I was able to update the driver and flash the board using Flip 3.4.7. The board now indicates audio tone when connected via USB and while it's not currently wired into a printer, I thought it safe to connect thru Cura without giving any commands other than M501 to confirm and everything I read in the log appears correct.

For future reference to others seeking help with similar issue.

There is currently another thread here mentioning Atmel no longer having a link to Flip 3.4.7.

I found another source for Flip 3.4.7 today at: http://www.filefacts.com/flip-345-download

With regard to the Hex files for flashing they are at : https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/releases

While the flashing instructions can be found at multiple sources, this was what I used:

https://bilbycnc.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/3000053237-re-flashing-the-firmware-printrbot-

I would have been lost without a step by step flashing guide, as honestly I still am not sure of what I did.

Initially Flip 3.4.7 would not open without error for me after installation, upon further reading I found JAVA must also be installed on the computer.

Also should add, have previously used auto in Cura 15.04.4 machine settings for port detection and baud rate, for some reason in this instance was forced to manually set baud rate before a connection could be completed.

Hope this helps others who may have as little experience at this issue as I did going in.

novice

Postby Mooselake » 2018-Jan-Mon-14-Jan

The baud rate doesn't matter; the AT90USB128 emulates a USB serial port (which emulates a real serial port), but actually runs at USB bus speeds. Similar boards, like the Mega128 and RAMPS combo use a separate usb to serial chip that outputs a serial bit stream that is then read by the board's microcontroller. This is not the case for the Printrboard's MCU, there is no conversion to async serial and back with this processor so port speeds are ignored.

I wonder if setting the port parameters kicked something else in Window's USB emulated serial port driver (USBSER.SYS), which is known to be occasionally glitchy. Of course, like many things M$, we'll never know for sure. Virtually every USB to serial device uses the same M$ driver, the INF file you install as a "driver" is really the mapping from the device code returned on the USB port to the requisite driver.

Incidentally, with Windows 10 it's no longer necessary to use the Teensy driver according to it's author, PJRC.

Anyway, glad it worked! Let us know more about how your Adoptabot experience progresses. We really like pictures here, too, feel free to upload (offsite links are restricted for new users, but uploading with the "Full Editor" works, it's a spam thing and even the mods and admin don't know what the criteria to end the restriction are) pics. It's best to resize them (WinDoze paint wil work, resize by px) to around 640 or so wide.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2018-Jan-Mon-14-Jan

Microchip ate Atmel, it's the way of the semiconductor (and many other) industry; waiting for the MegaPIC I found a link to the latest FLIP here from 1/17/2018, using www.microchip.com's search tool. While downloading copies from elsewhere are almost always safe, there's always a chance you'll be scrambling to buy bitcoins (or the latest anonymous "currency") to recover your files. This way you also get the latest version and bugfixes.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Troubleshooting talk