New Smalls build

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

New Smalls build

Postby jradford » 2017-Sep-Mon-23-Sep

image_uploaded_from_ios_720.jpg
I just finished my smalls build and am having the strangest problem. Not new to printrbot btw.

When I go to print a test cube (PLA/208) with their cura/.ini I get a decent first layer, then each layer after
start's doing the canoeing effect. To the point where at the 3rd layer, the layer height get's tall enough to
stop filament from flowing, and the extruder gear start's clicking.

Any ideas on this? The only thing I can think of is that I didnt flash the printrboard, just used what was stock
loaded on there since when I go to the getting started page and look at firmware, it calls out two of the different
green induction sensors. However, they must have changed things because mine came with the standard round
sensor like the simple metal.

Any help would be appreciated, so close...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jradford
Waiting to connect to printer...

New Smalls build

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New Smalls build

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Sep-Tue-06-Sep

If your first layer is OK, then the problem has absolutely nothing to do with your Z sensor; it's fine.
The problem is you are over-extruding.
There are several threads in this forum that talk about calibrating your extrusion rate.
1) You need to get the Extruder steps per millimeter adjusted correctly. The correct calibration for steps/mm needs to be stored in EEPROM.
2) You also need to use the right diameter for your filament. That number is used in your slicer.

Both of those numbers involve physical measurement; you can't guess at them and you can't depend on "stock" numbers like you can for mm/thread on the Z axis or mm per tooth on the toothed belt axes.

Instructions on doing these calibrations have been posted many, many times so I won't duplicate them here.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2017-Sep-Tue-14-Sep

What Jay said. But if that's not it, maybe your Z axis steps/mm calibration is wrong. Or your Z axis is slipping/sagging?

Move the nozzle to touch the bed, then raise it (say) 50mm. Measure the actual height with a ruler.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby jradford » 2017-Oct-Mon-14-Oct

sensor-hitting-screw.JPG
top-3mm-testcube.JPG
bottom-3mm-testcube.JPG
Thanks Jay,

I'm getting closer and think I am in the home stretch.

Attached is a picture of my first 3mm test cube after doing some estep calibration, the bottom layers look
pretty decent, a few gaps. The top needs work, perhaps I need to redo the e-step calibration again?

Another question, in the 0,0,0 home position, it appears that the induction sensor trips on the bed screw,
upon start up it moves just to the right and never hits it again. Could this possibly be one of my
issues?

Appreciate the help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jradford

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Oct-Mon-15-Oct

Yes, I see what you're saying. The sensor is measuring the height of the screw head, not the height of the bed. That's got to throw off your bed-leveling.
I believe there are adjustments for where the probe looks for the bed, but I'm not an expert on how to tune up those settings (I don't have a probe).

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby jradford » 2017-Oct-Tue-01-Oct

I'd swear I am somehow mis-installing the x endstop because it's only off 4mm from missing the screw
on the bed.

But I've watched brooks assembly video like 10 times and everything looks perfect, exactly the way
he did it.

jradford

Postby PxT » 2017-Nov-Thu-19-Nov

If the sensor is triggering too high because of that screw wouldn't your Z-height on the printed item be really out of wack in that direction? 2 or 3mm is going to make a big difference. I don't see that kind of problem in the picture you posted.

I haven't assembled a Smalls so I'm no expert, but worst comes to worst you could swap out that screw for a flat head countersunk version. I guess you might have to countersink the hole slightly, so it depends how much you want to modify the machine vs. just contacting support and getting them to fix it or provide a solution.

PxT
Print complete...

Return to Troubleshooting talk