Need help on cooling

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Need help on cooling

Postby CantSayIHave » 2017-Aug-Fri-19-Aug

So, I've had a simple metal for about a 1 and a half years now, and a heated bed for 6 months. I have an enclosure around my printer, which is great during the winter, but this summer I've repeatedly found the pla melting at the extruder, likely because of the stepper motor heat + the extruder + the bed below. I'm not really sure what to do - without a case, the bed tends not to hold the print on. But with the case, the air inside gets too hot for the arm to sink the necessary heat, and the pla clogs up in the extruder. Should I add some kind of extra cooling system for the extruder? Like air or liquid? I'm not really sure what's best. The main thing is I can't let it interfere with the bed.

I'd love to know if others have had this problem. Thanks

CantSayIHave
Waiting to connect to printer...

Need help on cooling

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Need help on cooling

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Aug-Fri-20-Aug

Does your extruder have a fan? What model extruder is it?

Most people print PLA successfully without a case around the printer. There are dozens and dozens of posts about finding just the right combination of bed surface material, bed surface cleanliness, and exactly the right clearance between the nozzle and the bed to achieve good adhesion (a partial catalog of posts is here). PLA usually doesn't even require a heated bed.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Re: Need help on cooling

Postby ktfergus » 2017-Aug-Wed-14-Aug

What type of hotend are you using? If you don't have a Ubis 13s, I highly recommend switching to one.

Installing a secondary fan for the hotend is fairly easy. This post over at Thingiverse has a nice rundown of the process: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1158796.

Here's the set up I have now:

I've attached the fan mount .stl and a fan guard .stl if you'd like to try it out. (One, or both files might be in inches, so you may have to scale them...) The fan mount is removable so it's easier to access the hotend to clean or change nozzles,etc.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1503 (Play) :: 100mm x 100mm DIY Heated bed
Latest Project :: Sisyphus Whirligig
ktfergus
Printing skirt...

Return to Troubleshooting talk