USB Connection issue after upgrades

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby mfswords » 2017-May-Thu-08-May

Hey all,
I hope you guys can help me. Here is my narrative of events. Hopefully, this will help you to see where my issues are at.
Recently I upgraded to the heated bed x axis expansion and Z axis upgrade on one of my printrbots which also had a heated bed. I tried to print and it worked, but it would not print to the expanded x-coordinates. Then I tried it a second time, the temperature rose to about 200 on the hot end, and then it started to go down on CURA and as a result, it would not print. After several trials, I saw no change. I checked the hot end by actually touching it after trying it, and saw that it was REALLY HOT, ( :lol: haha)but it was not reading the temp change on the cura software (still at 20 degrees Celsius)in pronterface UI. I then put in a support ticket and printrbot suggested trying with MicroSD card. I tried that and the 3d printer did not start the print that I saved as auto0.g on the card.
I looked at the site and it said to flash the firmware to update and change settings. I tried that, but I couldn't any longer flash the firmware because now the USB wont connect to my mac at all! I can't flash the board without it connecting. I tried on my windows desktop pc as well and it still did not connect. I read the Printrbot article on USB troubleshooting and went as far as component isolation. The result- still no connection even when all other components are taken off of the board. I've had the printrbot for less than a year. I would hate to have to purchase a new board because of one year of intermittent use. It was never consistent with connecting anyway! I put in a request with printrbot in the beginning of the month and haven't gotten any continued support on my last ticket after the first suggestion by printrbot. I just sent a second one similar to this one today with them and thought I would get several perspectives from you all.

Your help with this would be much appreciated!
Mitch

mfswords
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: USB Connection issue after upgrades

Postby Mooselake » 2017-May-Thu-13-May

Make sure you've got the hot end thermistor cable properly plugged in on both ends. Same with the hotend heater cables. The Cura pseudo Printrun interface should let you turn the extruder on by itself. What happens then?

It seems pretty strange they'd say to try printing from SD, sounds like somebody got the wrong place in the script. Your symptoms are a loss of power to the hotend (if it's not getting hot), or the thermistor not measuring the proper temperature because it fell out (if it is heating up, but in that case it'll just go until it melts or catches fire, so not as likely), not a loss of USB connectivity.

It's pretty easy to dislodge cables while upgrading, or not getting them on all the way so they fall off while printing. I just saw a RichRap post today about cables falling off during shipping. Since my old hot glue gun broke and I just got another, it's become a hammer and everything a nail, maybe a dab of hot snot to hold the connectors on is an option. If you care the new gun's a WallyWorld Adtech, the high school shop has found they're more cost effective than the pro versions even if they don't last as long. My old one lasted quite a few years, after quite a bit of research on replacements I agreed with Greg and cheaped out.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Re: USB Connection issue after upgrades

Postby mfswords » 2017-Sep-Sat-14-Sep

thanks for the updates! Sorry for the late response. I have tried to connect with SD cards and reconnecting cables. I had other problems and eventually got a new printboard b/c of it not connecting to the USB cable.

mfswords
Loading filament...

Return to Troubleshooting talk