Repetier/Cura Print Layer Shifting

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby tguellich » 2017-Feb-Fri-10-Feb

I have recently purchased a Printrbot Plus as my third 3D printer. I was having a lot of trouble using the old Cura and Pronterface combo. So I did some research and switched over to Repetier and the Cura slicer in Repetier. Some prints turn out fine but others have some wicked X layer shifting. I started by checking the belt and making sure everything was lubed. It wasn't any better. Next I tried slicing the same object and saving it to a micro SD card. The direct print prints flawlessly with no layer shifts. So where is my problem? Is it the computer sending the commands? I don't think it is hardware or Cura anymore. Any expertise would be greatly appreciated.

tguellich
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Repetier/Cura Print Layer Shifting

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Feb-Fri-13-Feb

I, too, like Repetier's interface much more than the Cura/Pronterface interface. But only because it's more informative and easier to use. What, exactly, was the "trouble" you were having?

Your symptoms are very, very odd. Within the G-code, commands are sent a line at a time telling the printhead where to go next, and within each line, there are both X and Y coordinates (as well as E for Extruder). So we can't theorize that X commands alone are being lost or garbled without also thinking that commands for Y, E, and even Z would sometimes get garbled. Furthermore, each line that's sent is sent with a checksum, so if the command sent from the computer to the printer was garbled along the way, the printer would reject it and ask for a re-send of that line.

Are you putting the very same G-code on the SD card that you were trying to send to the printer thru the Repetier interface?

I wonder if there's some kind of EMI. When you are running the printer off the SD card, is the USB cable still plugged into your computer, with the computer on?

Somewhere back in the early days of this forum, Mooselake published some G-code (and a Simple Basic program for generating said G-code) purely for the purpose of "exercising" the printer's X and Y motion (e.g. to check it for handling ever-increasing speeds, or to check how different values of acceleration work); you might try tracking down that code and giving it a run on your machine.

Are on a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Feb-Fri-17-Feb

Look here.

Your Plus is bigger than my Plus, so the pre-generated code should work and only skip the outer two inches. If that's not enough then let me know your dimensions and max speed for all 3 axis and I'll run off a new batch. Or you could just download M$ Small Basic and dink with it yourself. Why Small Basic and not python or the language of the week? Just cause I wanted to try it. Could have been worse, it could be [n g]awk...

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby tguellich » 2017-Feb-Sun-18-Feb

I am indeed running the exact same gcode from the computer and the sd card. I am going to try again tomorrow. I will post some pictures so you can see the results. I too think it is very odd that just the one axis is off at all but its happening every time. Before I start tomorrow I am going to really lube up all the friction points again to be certain it isn't mechanical. Thanks for your help so far.

tguellich

Postby tguellich » 2017-Feb-Wed-09-Feb

I changed tactics yesterday. I switched to 3 in 1 oil instead of the white lithium grease I have always used on my printers. I turned the Plus all around. soaked every point I could and manually controlled it in all directions for a few minutes. I had a perfect print via USB. I think my good prints through SD were just an odd coincidence that made me think it was software. I'll just continue to use 3 in 1 oil on this printer, it seems to like it. I'll be printing again next week and if things make me think another way, I will reply here.

Thank you for your help!

tguellich

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Feb-Wed-16-Feb

Clean off the excess oil...

I use Finish Line Dry Teflon Bike Lube on my 3D printers, essentially a juiced up wax that's been dissolved in an evaporating solvent, so there's no residue to pick up dirt (plan to use it on the chains on my Maslow if/when it arrives, too). If you poke around in the archives everything from chapstick (PB's recommendation in 2012) to oils to various greases have been used successfully. If it were me I'd avoid any kind of grease on the rods/rails, since it can pick up and hold dust and grit. You might consider some type of spray solvent (I've used electronics parts cleaner, but only because it was sitting on my shelf) to clean off the grease residue, re-oil, and carefully wipe off any excess. Clean them regularly and keep an eye out for accumulating dirt.

Is the sticky axis linear rods or rails? Interestingly, the first Printrbot Pluses had a bad batch of Z axis linear bearings that needed a good cleaning and relubing before they quit sticking while printing. Likely not your problem, but...

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Troubleshooting talk