Troubles with ExtrudrBoard

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby elstak » 2017-Jan-Tue-06-Jan

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for my english. I hope will be enough to explain the trouble and solve it :ugeek:

I bought the board, I followed the instructions on reprap site to connect to RAMPS throughout aux2 port. The board is recognized and I can control the extruders.

Unfortunately, when I give the extrusion command the motor runs, it emits sounds but in fact unable to perform any step.

I have read several threads on this forum, but I can not solve the problem.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1975
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4931

About the setting of Vref I followed the above thread about the mainboard but also with allegro driver. Having 1.33A motors I started from 0.8v (used in the discussion to provide 660mA to the engines, I increased slowly to the limit (1.6v to 1.32A, always following the istruction of the discussions above) but the motors, despite the zero load, do not move and seem to lose steps. To read the VREF I put the red on knob and black on a gnd of the EB.

I did not consider the setting of step (1/1 1/4 1/8 ect ..), I come from Pololu and is the first time I work with integrated drivers. How can I adjust?

There 's something I do not consider? The motors are connected with the pin 1 of the wire to the pin 1 of the board motor's connetor, it is indicated by a square instead of the circles as in this picture?
( however Also reversing the cable I get the same result, I have perhaps reversing only a few pins?)

Finding the same defect on E1 of ramps, after changing drivers I thought of a damage of the board, which is why I bought the extrudrborad. But now I have the same problem: the motors are not moving.

Any Idea?

Thanks
Francesco

Last edited by elstak on 2017-Jan-Tue-06-Jan, edited 1 time in total.
elstak
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Troubles with ExtrudrBoard

Postby elstak » 2017-Jan-Tue-06-Jan

Instruction for the ramps connection reprap o r g /wiki/Adding_more_extruders

elstak

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Jan-Tue-10-Jan

Since you're getting sound from the motors but no action, I wonder if your motors are wired properly to the connectors. Stepper motors have two independent coils, and the standard wiring pattern where the motor connects to the board is for one coil to be connected to two pins on one end of the connector and the other coil to be connected to the two pins on the other end of the connector.
TwoCoils.PNG
TwoCoils.PNG (2.6 KiB) Viewed 65 times

So if you unplug the motor from the board and check it with an ohmmeter at the connector, you should have low resistance between pins 1&2, low resistance between pins 3&4, and infinite resistance between any other combination of pins.
It's also possible to get noise out of a motor but no consistent motion if only one coil is being activated, but not the other coil.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby elstak » 2017-Jan-Tue-16-Jan

YEP!!!! :o :o :o :o :o

Thanks for the lesson about motor :)

I bought 4 wires from E3D online, the pin 2 and 3 are swapped on the board connector :shock: :shock: , i don't konw why.... fixed and now work... E3D.....E3D.... :roll: :roll:

elstak

Return to Troubleshooting talk