Printrboard Firmware Problem

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby 4lathe » 2017-Jan-Wed-12-Jan

I posted the issue a few days ago on Hack Talk but perhaps it should be here. The printrbot forum doesn't seem that active anymore and I'm open to any help on where else I might post it. Thx much.

4lathe
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrboard Firmware Problem

Postby 4lathe » 2017-Jan-Mon-10-Jan

Just asking again. Does anyone know what board I could post a firmware question on. Thx

4lathe

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jan-Mon-12-Jan

Software would be more appropriate, but don't worry about it too much. We look for unread posts, not in specific catagories. Subforums are, IMHO, important for historical use, I.e. has somebody else had this questions before. Topics that are in inappropriate areas can be moved.

Can't really tell where an unasked question fits, probably why nobody commented. What's your question?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Jan-Mon-13-Jan

Going back to your original post I see that you are trying to resurrect a bricked Printrboard by using an ISP programmer. There are very few people in this forum who have experience doing that, and perhaps none are actively looking at the forum these days (traffic here has slowed down a lot in the last 6 months). When you post a question but get no answer at all it probably means no one who read your post feels qualified to answer.

I had a Rev D board that went flaky (all on its own, not because I was trying to re-flash it), and I bought the ISP programmer and tried to use AVRDude to fix it, but I was not successful. I don't know for sure if my technique was wrong or if the board was truly unrecoverable, but I ended up getting a new Rev F board.

BTW, if you do decide to get a new board, I'd recommend the F6 over the G. I'm afraid that the G board will require the latest cloud-based software, which at last report is still pretty buggy.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jan-Mon-15-Jan

RetireeJay wrote:if you do decide to get a new board, I'd recommend the F6 over the G. I'm afraid that the G board will require the latest cloud-based software, which at last report is still pretty buggy.

While Brook has stated that the G2 based 32 bit new board will be usable in non-rain prone environments there's reports here that it hasn't happened yet. The new board is available in an experimenter's package, which seems to be a you break it you bought it product. Not even clear if it has a warranty, although I'd expect them to cover at least DOA boards.

The G2 is therefor for advanced users. Best to let it spend some more time in the oven unless you want to be one of the arrow backed pioneers.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby 4lathe » 2017-Jan-Tue-01-Jan

Thanks for the responses. I was concerned that perhaps no one had a solution for me. That's why I wondered if I should go to a forum like AVRfreaks or something. I have a new seemecnc max v3 that I've been fooling with but will order both boards for the printrbot to experiment with. I'm not going to give up on the RevF4 though. The board responds to programming completely normally so I think it's salvageable. I'll report any progress back here.

4lathe

Return to Troubleshooting talk