Y Axis grinding against stops - confirming firmware update

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby mjv45 » 2017-Jan-Thu-17-Jan

Hello. I am a newbe to 3-D printing and have been trying out my new printrbot play for the last 2 weeks. I have resolved several issues that I had (even completed 3 nice prints) but am still trying to work out a few additional problems. I have read the forum posts here that I could find to help with my problems but don't really have a clear answer yet. Below is a description of the issues. Any help I could receive would be greatly appreciated.

1. The y axis appears to grind against the stops at the start of most prints before continuing on to do the print. Sometimes it crimes for about one second (see video you tube and search for "Printrbot play hitting stops" this forum wont let me post with a URL in here - sorry) and other times it grinds for about 3 seconds. I originally thought that the initial calibration had been corrupted by hitting a wire bundle (the shroud came down on the wire harness and grinded into that and then moved to a corner and grinded into my print bed – all on my first power up!) and that the printer is not properly understanding where the head is currently located however, after reading this forum, I understand that the printer does not save any information about the location of the head and that it acquires that info each time it does the homing actions at the start of the print. Is the vibrating motion against the stop seen in the video normal? I want to troubleshoot this further but my 2nd problem listed below is interrelated. Any thoughts on this problem would be helpful.

2. I have tried to update my firmware (3 times) to confirm that the firmware is not an issue however I'm unable to confirm whether the firmware update actually worked or whether my Mac updater just indicated that. One of the things that I modified in the printer settings was the z offset which I changed from .10 to 0.20. I expected that change to be raised during the firmware update however, the printer still shows the .20 with the M500 command. Does this indicate that my firmware did not update? Does anybody know of a setting that I can change which will definitely revert back to a different setting with the firmware update? I would like to change such a setting just to confirm that my firmware is updating.

3. As for my 3rd and final issue, the printer is now starting to have a different problem during the initial homing operation at the start of each print. Frequently, during this homing operation, when the head moves to the lower left corner of the bed for its final "touch" on the bed before it starts the print, rather than simply kissing the bed, the head presses down into the bed way further then intended and you can see the entire frame flex when it overextends into the bed. It then moves a little bit grinding a small amount into the bed but quickly lifting up and starting the actual printing about a half an inch in the air above the bed which, obviously, is ridiculous.

I want to love the machine and love the company but this is sort of like death by 1000 cuts. Any help would be great - thanks in advance.

Michael

mjv45
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Y Axis grinding against stops - confirming firmware upda

Postby mjv45 » 2017-Jan-Fri-06-Jan

Here are my settings from the M501 command.
> M501
< echo:Stored settings retrieved
< echo:Steps per unit:
< echo: M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z2020.00 E96.00
< echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
< echo: M203 X125.00 Y125.00 Z5.00 E14.00
< echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
< echo: M201 X2000 Y2000 Z30 E10000
< echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
< echo: M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
< echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
< echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
< echo:Home offset (mm):
< echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
< echo:PID settings:
< echo: M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00
< echo:Min position (mm):
< echo: M210 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
< echo:Max position (mm):
< echo: M211 X100.00 Y100.00 Z131.00
< echo:Bed probe offset (mm):
< echo: M212 X20.00 Y0.00 Z0.20

mjv45