*Solved* Printrbot play 1505 power issues

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby Greekone79 » 2016-Dec-Wed-20-Dec

Hello all. I'm new here, And want to say thanks for having me first off.
Now let me address my problems. I have the play 1505 model, And recently
bought the "Y" axis upgrade along with the heated bed upgrade. Had to buy
a new printboard "Rev F" due to the older "Rev d" dying on me. Now that
everything is wired up and I bought a psu from the local comp store here

My problems are:
Can't heat the heatbed and extruder at same time, When I do the machine shuts down (Like not enough power or amps from psu)
Lower fan that cools prints (Not the extruder cooler) does not turn on with cura settings. (Fan will spin for a second or two when machine is first turned on)
I'm thinking it's a power or amp issue. The psu is a 360W maybe, And possibly 16-17A on the 12V rails.
(Looked on printrbot and seen their psu for heated bed upgrades runs 29A)

Thanks in advance for any help.

*Solved with upgraded psu*

Last edited by Greekone79 on 2017-Feb-Sun-22-Feb, edited 1 time in total.
Greekone79
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrbot play 1505 power issues

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Wed-21-Dec

I think you answered your own question. The fan not turning is suspicious. Do you have a voltmeter? Can you check the actual voltage being supplied to the board? I'm not sure how big the heated bed on the Play is, or how much power it requires, but your symptoms have all the hallmarks of an inadequate power supply. Some cheaper power supplies don't really achieve their rated power.

There's a chance that your power supply might be better behaved if it had some load on the 5V rails (not all supplies behave that way, but some do); maybe you could wire up some 12V or 6V incandescent light bulbs to it as "dummy loads" on the 5V supply and see if that stabilizes your 12V supply. (Running the bulbs on less than rated voltage simply means they will be dim and last forever.)

But the surest way to have plenty of power is to use a supply that's rated for at least 29A on the 12V rails. Often the ATX supplies actually have two 12V rails, and the way the Rev F board is wired, they are paralleled - so if they are rated, say, 19A each then you actually have 38A total available to the Printrboard.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Re: Printrbot play 1505 power issues

Postby Greekone79 » 2016-Dec-Thu-11-Dec

Thanks for the quick response. By checking voltage to board do you mean at the power connection (6pin) or
at the fan pins that aren't running the lower fan (Print cooling fan)?
I will try to put a load on the 5v rail somehow...Maybe just a cd rom to see it fixes the problem, but think a
upgraded power supply is needed. Thanks again. I will report back with my results.

Greekone79
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Troubleshooting talk