Problems With Rev B an E boards

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby Msmaster321 » 2016-Dec-Thu-00-Dec

So recently my Rev B board that I print with stopped communicating with my laptop. It powers on normally, so I suspected the USB cord, I swapped that out, but it was a fruitless attempt. I think that the USB port on my board is faulty. I have a Rev E board, but it needs to be re-flashed. The problem is that I cannot re-flash it. I am using FLIP and when I try to open communications with the board, it will not let me. I installed a bootjumper to it. I think that the problem is, when I try to install the FLIP driver to the board in device manager, it says "windows has determined that the best software is already installed." I suspect that this has something to do with it. Any advice would be really nice, I have not printed in 2 months :cry:

Msmaster321
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Problems With Rev B an E boards

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Thu-06-Dec

I assume you mean you have a Rev F board now. I'm not aware that any Rev E were ever released.

Try reading my description in the Printrbottalk Wiki about how to use FLIP to flash the firmware on your board. You get into the Wiki by clicking the red-beige-white button right next to the "Search..." box at the top right of the home screen.

FLIP runs on your computer, not on the Printrboard. When your Printrboard is in programming mode (jumper on AND reset button pushed briefly to put it into programming mode), then FLIP should be able to talk to the board -- once you have told FLIP what kind of board it is (Printrboard is not a choice in FLIP's list; read the Wiki to find out).

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Dec-Thu-10-Dec

It's possible your aftermarket board has the Arduino bootloader; many if them did. One of the downfalls if the cheapie boards, but fixable.

If so you'll need an in-circuit programmer to reflash the bootloader, as Marlin is larger than the Arduino bootloader's 64k limit.

Open the device manager and see what it says about the device, and post it here

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Msmaster321 » 2016-Dec-Thu-21-Dec

Rev E was not released by printrbot, I did not know that before I bought it. What happens with mine is when I go to Device Manager- Ports(COM & LPT) - USB Serial Device(COM 4)(Yes it is in boot mode).-Update Driver Software- Browse my computer for driver software- C:programfiles//Atmel/Flip 3.4.7/usb.

This is where is says "windows has determined that the best driver software is installed."

I think that has something to do with me not being able to open up communications on the printrboard. I have a Programmer Cable, I looked on the WIKI but it is rather confusing. It says something about AVRdude but I tried to download it and mine became AVR insight and I do not know how to use it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Msmaster321
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Thu-22-Dec

AVRdude?? It's not mentioned in the Firmware Update Wiki I was referring to: http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index ... are_Update. I think you would need to use it if you are using a ICSP programmer (which plugs into a separate header on the Printrboard), but not when programming the board via the USB plug.

I don't know about Rev E, but on Rev D and F, to get into programming mode you put the jumper on the programming pins (on Rev B, it was remove the jumper to go into programming mode and put the jumper on to go into operational mode).

AND once the jumper is in the right position, you then have to press the reset button on the Printrboard. It won't boot up into programming mode when you turn on the power; it is absolutely necessary to have the power on, the jumper on, and THEN press the reset button. You will return to normal running mode when you remove the jumper and then either press the reset button or do a power-down and power-up cycle. When you are in programming mode, it should NOT show up as a COM port. On my Win-7 computer, when I'm in programming mode, I have a line in Device Manager for "Atmel USB Devices" and under that, a line that says "AT90USB128"

Then, in FLIP, you tell it which Device like this:
Atmel FLIP selecting device.PNG
Atmel FLIP selecting device.PNG (10.44 KiB) Viewed 785 times

Then click on the USB plug icon, and it should connect.
Of course, FLIP needs to know where to find the hex file that you want to upload. Once you have that selected, then you can "run" the process in FLIP.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby ktfergus » 2016-Dec-Fri-17-Dec

I've attached a Dozuki pdf which I used when I had to reflash one of my Simples. It has pretty detailed step-by-step instructions.

-Kelly

Attachments
Windows How to Flash Firmware.pdf
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
Latest Project: Arduino Controlled Power Assist Bot
ktfergus
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby Msmaster321 » 2016-Dec-Sat-11-Dec

Ok, so I finally found a solution. The problem was that the board that I bought did not have a DFU Bootloader, which explained why I could not open communications through FLIP. So I had a pre-compiled HEX of the DFU bootloader and I installed it through my USBasp cable. Once I got the DFU program into the chip, I could easily open communications with FLIP. So, now I want to use an LCD, I installed the simple_metal HEX onto the Rev E board because the printrbot that I have not is also 6"x6"x6" just as the simple metal. I want to know if that is a problem, like is there something different on the simple metal that will affect my printing?

Msmaster321
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Sat-12-Dec

If your bed size matches what's in the hex file that you loaded, then as far as I know, the only other problem you might encounter is where the Y axis "home" is located. Some Printrbots (and therefore some Printrbot versions of Marlin) place the Y axis "home" at Y = Max while other (older) versions place Y "home" at Y = 0. Besides that, the motors, sensors, and heaters and their connections to the board are all compatible.

So don't hesitate to plug it in and turn it on. Don't try to "home" first; use manual controls first, jogging X, Y, and Z in the positive directions by 10mm. Compare directions to the directions found in viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3484. Also try turning on your heater(s). If everything checks out OK in manual control, then try homing X, Z, and finally Y (using the "home" icons on your User Interface). If it doesn't behave right, then take note of exactly what's happening and also copy and paste the complete EEPROM (M503 or M502) info here and we'll look at what to do next. By the way, if Y is searching for "home" in the wrong direction - meaning going AWAY from the "endstop" switch - then see if you can manually touch the Y "home" switch to make it stop going the wrong way, or else press the "reset" button on the board. Doing a power-down when the motor is running imposes a very small but non-zero risk of damage to the board.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Dec-Sun-10-Dec

RJ, ever given any thought to adding a tvss or similar to the motor connectors?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Msmaster321 » 2016-Dec-Sun-11-Dec

RJ, I decided to save myself some trouble and went with the proper Unified Hex, Surprisingly my LCD works with that software, so that takes care of that problem. Another problem I have is that the y axis belt is occasionally loose, and recently while tightening the belt, I broke a good 1/2 inch off of the belt, right now the remainder of the belt works properly, but I will need a new belt sooner or later. Does anyone know what the name of the belt is so I can order one. I ordered a different one that had smaller teeth in it, but that would not fit my pulleys.

Msmaster321
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Sun-12-Dec

Mooselake wrote:RJ, ever given any thought to adding a tvss or similar to the motor connectors?

I guess it's possible, but you would need two 15V surge suppressors per motor (which could mean 4 15V zeners per motor, if that's how you implement it). It's just more practical to try to shut down in an orderly fashion.

Msmaster321 wrote:Does anyone know what the name of the belt is so I can order one. I ordered a different one that had smaller teeth in it, but that would not fit my pulleys.

It's GT2 belt, and easily found on Amazon and many other sources with a Google search.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Msmaster321 » 2016-Dec-Wed-23-Dec

My Rev E board is glitchy it keeps disconnecting from my computer and I have checked the wiring, everything was right. I flashed it 3 times, but it still did the same thing. Can I print with an sd card with the Rev B board that I have, that one will not connect to my laptop at all so I cannot flash it. I tried to see if I could get a new board from printrbot but they are out of stock, any other suggestions?

Msmaster321
Levelling print bed...

Return to Troubleshooting talk