1403 revD stopped

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

1403 revD stopped

Postby hangarace » 2016-Dec-Wed-02-Dec

Well I don't know what happened!!! My original hot end had been plugging up so repaired it a couple of months back. Monday I had a small project and it plugged again. I had bought a replacement ubis 13 hot end some time back and now I felt compelled to rid myself of this discomfort. Unplugged my usb cable at printer, then the power cables. It was powerless and I began figuring out which connectors to attach the fan wires to. I had already installed the ubis hot end and made necessary adjustments to sensor ect. Now I was ready to plug usb and power back in. Turned on printer hit connect and got a foghorn warning...NO COM1 PORT AVAILABLE. Device manager doesn't show virtual serial port or printer. so I unplugged usb and checked over. plugged back in and then noticed that no sound was made when I plugged it in. tried a new cable same thing. last resort I plugged my cell phone in the cable and the pc made the sound of connecting and phone started charging.
Now I am lost..... my printer has been working pretty much flawlessly on win 10 since June of 2014 and now this.What could have happened and what can I do to get it working again. I have rechecked all the wiring and even unplugged the ubis fan like it wasn't there. All I did was make 2 wire connections. I am reasonably knowledgeable about electronics and this has been working great till now. Thanks for any help offered in advance..greatly appreciated.
David Tacal :cry:

Printrbot Simple Metal
Extruder fan mod
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade

35amp, 430watt ATX PS
Custom 200mm x200mm heat bed and thermistor..Working Great
hangarace
Loading filament...

1403 revD stopped

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 1403 revD stopped

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Wed-07-Dec

Well, let's start with the basics. The Printrboard has a green LED on it, which indicates the presence of 5V power. There's an on-board regulator that creates 5V from the 12V supply, but 5V power can also come in thru the USB port. So if you plug in power only, but not the USB cable, and you see the green LED lit up, that verifies that you have both 12V and 5V. It doesn't guarantee that the power supply can keep up with the load when you are running motors and heater(s) but it's a start.

Next, sometimes people have found their USB connector at the board broken away from the board so it's not making contact. It's possible to re-solder this connector to the board. Printrbot changed to a more robust connector type on the Rev F6 board, but all prior boards use a connector that's a bit fragile.

Finally, Win-10 updates itself pretty much on its own, and it's possible that while you weren't looking an update hosed your USB-to-COM port software link. So you could try re-running the "teensy" program that tells Windows to map the Printrboard's USB connection to a (virtual) COM port.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby hangarace » 2016-Dec-Wed-15-Dec

Thank you for reply Jay......yes I am running a 430 watt PS and the green light does lite up with USB unplugged. I added it when I installed heat bed. Never had a problem before. I looked at the USB connector and it doesn't look broken and it plugs in firmly. The teensy program runs , but windows says it is doesn't need it cuz one is already installed. I will be looking into system restore next.
David

UPDATE** restore didn't help. Installed repetier on laptop and tried that. No good.. still not acknowledging USB.
HELP... maybe I need a new board. urgh!!

Printrbot Simple Metal
Extruder fan mod

35amp, 430watt ATX PS
hangarace
Loading filament...

Postby hangarace » 2016-Dec-Thu-22-Dec

HELP...anyone have any Ideas?

Printrbot Simple Metal
Extruder fan mod

35amp, 430watt ATX PS
hangarace
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Fri-08-Dec

By "System Restore" do you mean something you did on the Windows computer, or did you flash a new copy of the firmware onto your Printrboard? If you were able to flash a new copy of the firmware onto the Printrboard using the USB connection, then that would prove that the physical hardware of the USB connection is working. It's important to know exactly what you did so we can figure out the next step.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby hangarace » 2016-Dec-Fri-14-Dec

Thanks Jay...No it was a windows 10 restore. As I indicated earlier when I checked the cable, (2 different ones) they were working okay connected to my cell phone for charging purposes. The board on the other hand doesn't seem to talk to the Repetier Host program on the windows 10 machine. I did mention that I tried to connect on my laptop also and that was a no go. Very strange...one day worked fine the next day nothing. At the moment I don't have the capabilities to re-flash. Wouldn't it be a better way to go and just purchase a updated board?. Lost.. :(
David

Printrbot Simple Metal
Extruder fan mod

35amp, 430watt ATX PS
hangarace
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Fri-16-Dec

On your computer, open up Device Manager. Then plug in the printer (or turn it on). If the Device Manager screen blinks, that probably means that a Device has been recognized. The Printrboard could show up in USB devices if it's not correctly getting mapped to a COM port. Or if it is getting mapped to a COM port then you should be able to find it there. The COM port number might not match what you have in Repetier, so you can go into Repetier's settings and give it the right number.

If there's absolutely no recognition of a port of any kind by the computer, then either the USB connector on the board has broken its connection to the data traces (which might not be very visible) or the board is malfunctioning. If it's a problem with the USB connector, you might be able to verify this by applying a little up or down tilting force to the cable (but don't overdo it).

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby hangarace » 2016-Dec-Sat-19-Dec

Jay..thanks again for suggestions. Device manager simply doesn't flicker / or recognize the printer board. I tried wiggling and lifting the usp cable at the port connection and nothing. I know that electronic parts can be finicky and after 2-1/2 years it probably died on me. Just unsettling because it was working the night before and the next morning after making the two wire connections it ceased to be recognized. Green light comes on, the fan for the new hot end works, I guess RIP ritual is in order. crap!
Thanks Jay for your help any more Ideas....?
David

Printrbot Simple Metal
Extruder fan mod

35amp, 430watt ATX PS
hangarace
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Sat-22-Dec

Well, my Rev D board failed after about 2 and a half years also. I replaced it with a Rev F5 (but now the F6 is the current board) viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10715&p=69152.

It was necessary to learn about different versions of the firmware; I actually compiled my own with my own settings (no, I don't really write code, but I can manipulate settings). There's a wealth of information about compiling firmware in this thread, but it's not well organized so you have to read a lot before you catch the important points: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10160

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Dec-Sun-09-Dec

A quick test to determine if it's just the USB port is to copy a G code file to a smaller microSD card, rename it to (iirc) auto0.g, and see if it prints when you power up the board. Cell phone repair shops can often repair/replace uUSB ports, like the kiosks in the malls in places bigger than Mooseville

At this point I'd be tempted to try to fix it, and see if the new Printrboard is worth using and affordable (Brook was basically just asked that on G+). Alternatively the ARM based Mega2560 is around the corner (I don't consider non-shipping Kickstarter projects to be products) and makes RAMPS a desirable option

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby hangarace » 2016-Dec-Mon-14-Dec

Thank you Mooselake for your suggestion....

Printrbot Simple Metal
Extruder fan mod

35amp, 430watt ATX PS
hangarace
Loading filament...

Postby hangarace » 2016-Dec-Mon-22-Dec

Question for Jay... If I order a new board will it come plug and play? I have left request at Printrbot support, but sadly they refuse to reply. I can't say much for customer support.
Thanks
David

Printrbot Simple Metal
Extruder fan mod

35amp, 430watt ATX PS
hangarace
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Tue-07-Dec

hangarace wrote:If I order a new board will it come plug and play?

As far as the hardware is concerned, the answer is a qualified yes. Be careful about the power plug coming into the board. If you have a laptop "brick" power supply, then hopefully they will ship the board with an appropriate connector for the power supply. Do NOT use your existing 4-pin power connector in the Rev F 6-pin socket. It's possible to physically insert it, but it's wired wrong and will not work. If you have an ATX style power supply, it probably has a compatible 6-pin connector available.

The Rev F board has screw terminals for the heated bed instead of a plug, but that's no difficulty; if you have a heated bed, just cut off the existing plug and strip the ends of the wires for insertion into the screw terminals. You might need to adjust the placement of a jumper regarding the Z endstop, but other than that the hardware is totally compatible.

For the firmware, the chances are 50-50 that what you get will work out of the box. There have been many changes to the design of both the hardware and the software over the last 4 years, and I haven't seen a stellar record of Printrbot shipping the boards with firmware installed that matches the purchaser's hardware. But there are many pre-compiled hex files available for you to flash into the board if what you receive doesn't work. And you can always go back one more step and compile Marlin for your specific printer. See the links in my answer of 10 December.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby hangarace » 2016-Dec-Tue-21-Dec

Jay I have 35amp, 430watt ATX PS with the squarish 6 pin socket in the bundle. At present I'm using the 4 pin plug as you said and was the original recommendation when I added the heat-bed.. Thanks for that. Well I will do some more research on hex files so I know what are available in the event the supplied firmware doesn't work. Thanks for your help and I will let you know how it goes. It's gonna be after Christmas before I tackle this. I seem to have so many irons in the fire I'm just bogged down. I can't help but feel that something simple happened while I was asleep(win update) or the board just died. Well $70.00 is still cheaper than a new printer right.!
Later
David

Printrbot Simple Metal
Extruder fan mod

35amp, 430watt ATX PS
hangarace
Loading filament...

Postby tdetwiler3 » 2017-Jan-Mon-08-Jan

Does anyone know when F6 boards will be available to order at the Printrbot store? The micro usb connecter on my Simple Metal broke off the F4 board. I've been using the micro sd slot to continue printing, but now the prox senser function and the extruder heater arent working and I cant flash the board without a usb connection to potentialy fix those problems.

tdetwiler3
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Troubleshooting talk