All four steppers dead... Dead printboard?

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby tahnok » 2016-Nov-Sun-14-Nov

Hello,

A few weeks ago I decided to upgrade my simple metal with the "X Axis Upgrade with Heated Bed" kit. Installation went fine, but it wasn't printing well. During calibration I managed to scrap the bed a bit so I figured I needed a new nozzle. In trying to remove the old nozzle though I managed to break the heating element on the hot end... so new hot got ordered and installed and it works but now the printer doesn't move :( :(

When I say, doesn't move I mean that none of the motors seem to work at all. I can connect to the printer and get the bed and hotend heating, but trying to home the printer results in nothing, and I can't extrude any plastic.

It seems unlikely that all 4 motors are dead so I'm going to order a new printrboard when they come back in stock, but I'm curious if there are any other possible causes of the all 4 motors to cease functioning.

I'm also wondering what happened!? Is it possible that in moving the axes I generated a flyback current in the motors that damaged the board? Is there a component I can try replacing on the board too?

tahnok
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: All four steppers dead... Dead printboard?

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Nov-Mon-21-Nov

The fact that your hot end and bed heat up means you have 12V power to the board and your firmware is running (that is, assuming that you have control over when they heat up. If the heaters just start heating when you turn the printer on without issuing a command, that's a different thing).

Does the printer send you any messages when it's refusing to move? It's possible for the printer to refuse to do anything if it thinks the hot end temperature is way out of line, for example. Look at the log and see if there are any clues. Even a brief interruption to "reasonable" temperatures can trigger the board to shut down its firmware, and brief interruptions can be caused by loose connectors or wires that are partially broken or short-circuited.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Nov-Tue-13-Nov

If the hot end or bed are waiting to come up to temp (possibly because of a defective, shorted, or open thermistor or connection) then further commands, like positioning moves involving the motors, will be blocked. I don't see a mention that there was any attempt to control the motors before trying to turn on the heaters.

This won't work for the extruder ("Cold extrusion blocked") but you should be able to move the X, Y, and Z motor with or without the heated gadgets working

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2016-Nov-Tue-15-Nov

Agree with the other guys, plus, IIRC, Marlin prevents movement if the hot-end thermistor is broken/disconnected... that's where I'd start looking, especially since you recently replaced the hot-end.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby tahnok » 2016-Nov-Thu-10-Nov

So I do have control over the heating elements, and I did try moving X,Y,Z before starting to turn on the heaters so it's not that the printer is waiting for those.

The thermistor being broken seems unlikely since the temperature graph for the hotend and build plate both seem accurate.

The printer seems to stop responding to commands after I tell it to move

I'll take a look at the logs this evening to see if I can spot anything weird

tahnok

Postby frankv » 2016-Nov-Thu-14-Nov

The printer seems to stop responding to commands after I tell it to move

Since there's no position feedback (except the end-stop switches) the board can't actually tell if the motors are turning or not. So the fact that the board seems to behave differently after commanding a move, I'd guess there's a firmware problem. So the next thing I'd try would be to re-flash the board.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby tahnok » 2017-Jan-Mon-11-Jan

Update:

Swapping out the printrboard fixed the issue, so something was wrong with it. I may poke and it at some point to try and figure out exactly what went wrong, but I'm glad my printer works again!

tahnok

Return to Troubleshooting talk