Changing the dimensions of a Printrbot Plus

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby retroglyph » 2016-Apr-Mon-09-Apr

Hi -

I recently acquired a used, older Printrbot Plus (the wooden one) with a RevD board. I then proceeded to rip it apart and use the motors, board, hotend and more in a much larger printer. I "thought" I could just change the X,Y and Z dimensions in Repetier Host. I discovered, however, that no matter what I enter in RH, the board still thinks it is driving a 200mm cube. I really need to convince it that it is now in the driver's seat of a 400 x 300 x 400 machine.

I "believe" what I need to do is:
1 - find the most recent firmware for that RevD board.
2 - see if that firmware supports M211 to set bed dimensions
3 - follow directions here --> http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index ... OURSELF.3F

I did go to the firmware download page at printrbot site, however, firmware is listed by machine and not by board. And since there is more than one model called "Plus" I have no idea which firmware I should download.

Does anyone know how I should proceed if I need to change the dimensions?

Thanks,
Steve

retroglyph
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Changing the dimensions of a Printrbot Plus

Postby PxT » 2016-Apr-Mon-14-Apr

Unified v3 should be generic enough to work on just about any legacy model, and it has support for M211.
https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/rel ... unified-v3

PxT
Print complete...

Postby retroglyph » 2016-Apr-Mon-19-Apr

Thank you for the response. That it supports M211 makes me happy. I will try reflashing soon...

Sadly... it's been "one of those days". Almost comical. The board itself is being driven by a linux box not connected to the internet. No biggee thinks me. I'll just use the Mac to compile. Well, it's a bit dated I guess and no java, so I wasn't getting love from the Arduino build environment. No biggee, I'll just tether the android to the linux box, but the linux box and printer are sitting in the one spot in the house with a com void. Ok, I'll fire up the windows 7 box - it's been awhile and it no longer recognizes the USB mouse - I sorted that but figured I should update the anti-virus before downloading the various bits. Sorted, went to restart and windows is installing 25 updates - I think it'll be a late evening... :lol:

Thanks again. I'll let ya know how I get on

Steve

retroglyph

Postby PxT » 2016-Apr-Tue-12-Apr

There's a hex file at that link too, so you shouldn't need to compile it unless you want to make some other changes.
If you have a Mac then grab the Updatr app from http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index ... e=User:PxT. Drag & drop the firmware hex onto the application icon to flash it to the board.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby retroglyph » 2016-Apr-Tue-16-Apr

-PxT - Thank you for the help. I plan on adding accessories to this printer, so I figured I should go through the process of being able to compile. It wasn't the most straight-forward process, but I was able to compile and flash from the windows 7 machine. After making the mechanical changes, it sure is nice to see the head actually able to travel the full width and length of the machine.

To one and all - while going through the process of setting up the Arduino IDE on my Windows 7 machine, I found that there were several places where the Firmware Update guide are not current (or at least I couldn't make them work and I'd get compilation errors.) Please keep in mind that I am a newbie at this. It is totally possible that the instructions work fine and that I made errors. Also, I completely appreciate the effort people have put into documenting all of this. Anyway, here is what I found:

I wanted to set up the Arduino IDE so that I could modify and compile firmware for my Printrboard Rev D. While the board will be running from a linux machine. I had both a Mac (10.6.8) and a Windows 7 machine connected to the net. I made a bit of an effort to set things up on the Mac, but the recommended Java download requires a newer OS. This meant setting up the Arduino IDE on the PC.

Initially, I followed these instructions: HOW TO INSTALL THE 1.05 or 1.06 ARDUINO IDE IN FOUR STEPS. Following the edited instructions and went to the teensy download location. Once there, their instructions directed me to the arduino site. I started by downloading and installing arduino 1.6.8. Then I followed the directions for teensy. Then I added the files from lincomatic and made the changes to directory names. Long story short, I got compile error after compile error. There have apparently been some changes to the directory structure such that the teensy files aren't where arduino expects them. :roll:

The good news is that I found something that works and it's also from lincomatic (thank you Linco Matic). Per the lincomatic blog, "Yesterday, I figured it was high time to add AT90USB1286 support to Arduino 1.0.5-r2" . The post is on the lincomatic blog. I downloaded the zip file, extracted and launched Arduino. Boom! All the bits were there. I selected [usbtinyisp]Printrboard and my modded Marlin and it compiled. Then used Flip to flash. My Printerboard Rev D no longer has small printer syndrome and the printer is now traveling full distance!

Thank you one and all

Steve

retroglyph

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Apr-Tue-18-Apr

Thanks for your comments, retroglyph. I have edited the Wiki to point out more prominently that the instructions are out of date, and tried to point people to more up-to-date resources.

The Wiki has the advantage that it can present a body of data in a format that is well organized and free from rabbit trails and discussions, but on the other hand the info can quickly become stale. And the formatting used in editing the Wiki is extremely difficult to use (at least for me; maybe someone who's fluent in HTML would find it somewhat more familiar).

I actually strongly recommend using Notepad++ as the Editor and PlatformIO to do the compilation. Notepad++ allows you to do a global search through all of the files to find every instance of a particular word (variable name, etc) whereas the Arduino IDE was never built to handle the huge number of files involved in constructing Marlin, and its interface can be very frustratingly difficult. You can't even get the Arduino IDE to show you a complete list of the files when you need to look for a particular module, because there are too many files. There's a very informative sticky thread about PlatformIO in the Software Hack Talk section of the forum. But you gotta read all the way through because it's not neatly organized like the Wiki!

You can easily create a "run" command in Notepad++ that will run a batch file to do the compilation, so it becomes somewhat of an "integrated development environment." I still use Flip separately to upload the hex file to my Printrboard.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby retroglyph » 2016-Apr-Tue-18-Apr

RetireeJay.. and thank you for you comments. First, I really do appreciate the effort that you put into creating the guide. And I also understand what a challenge it is to keep things up to date (in any context). Overall, the guide proved indispensable.

Over the next few months, as I continue to refine my printer, I will have ample opportunity to experiment with various methods of compiling. I will definitely read the PlatformIO thread and expect to be giving that a shot.

Thanks again for all the work.

Steve

retroglyph

Return to Troubleshooting talk