Z probe Logic reversed after firmware upgrade

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby dragon2040 » 2019-Sep-Mon-11-Sep

upgraded the firmware on a Simple Metal to Modern Marlin 1.1.9 using the complied hex file on GitHub. Since doing so the logic on the probe is now reversed.
M119 shows Triggered when no metal is detected, Open when metal is detected. This of course means when homing Z, it goes up then stops.
Rolled back to an earlier firmware, issue goes away and able to print normally.

Probe being used is a LJ12A3-4Z/BY NO.

Is there a complied version of 1.1.9 with the Z endstop reversed for a RevD board?
or at least an un-compiled version with a configuration.h file ready to go for my setup with some easy to read steps?

dragon2040
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Z probe Logic reversed after firmware upgrade

Postby RetireeJay » 2019-Sep-Mon-14-Sep

Did you get your hex file from this location? https://github.com/Printrbot/printrboardmodernmarlin/tree/master/Simple_Metal

If so, did you choose a version labeled Rev D? If you chose a Rev F version, then not only will the Z probe logic be inverted but there will be other problems as well. Rev F and Rev D boards are software-incompatible.

Assuming that you downloaded the correct file for a Rev D board, then you should try messaging the author of the compiled hex file on github with the error report or raise an "Issue" on the site. You won't be the only person with this problem, and it should get fixed at the source. It looks like the author has been fairly active, so hopefully he'll respond. The fix inside his source code is extremely simple, just a single line. But he has his toolset configured to build the hex file correctly according to his own particular preferences, so someone else trying to create the hex file might not be able to create a good one that fits within the available memory.

Another option is to do a hardware fix. There are probes with the opposite polarity of signal output and even probes which can be configured to give you whatever flavor output you want.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby dragon2040 » 2019-Sep-Tue-06-Sep

Hey Jay,
Yes, I selected the RevD version off that site. I'll try reaching out to the author, hopefully they will make the change.

I was thinking of the other option of ordering in a NC probe. Its just the wait time when you got a new "toy" that you want to play with. :-)

dragon2040

Postby Mooselake » 2019-Sep-Tue-08-Sep

"Level" the bed manually, the probe is a nicety, not a necessity. Worst case go back to the olden days technique, before they fully understood the head to bed relationships, and print with a raft. Better than staring and wishing

Some of us feel probing is best left to aliens

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby MartyS » 2019-Sep-Tue-19-Sep

For the simple metal the probe is a necessity, the probe is used to home Z, so you do need a working probe even if you never use G29 for auto alignment.
There are a few places on the simple metal you could mount a switch and a screw to home Z the way the old wooden simple did it, so you could mod it to be free from probing.
Even the microswitchless Prusa MK3 with it's method of banging the axis into the X and Y end stops to find home still uses the probe to find the bed.
Weird, it seems like forever since I built the prtintrbot simple wood kit as my first printer, but it was only 5 years ago...

MartyS
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby dragon2040 » 2019-Sep-Thu-08-Sep

So it helps to read everything on a page, I didn't see the "sources" folder on the github page, both config files are listed in there. So I downloaded them, bit the bullet, made the changes for the z probe and compiled it myself using the arduino software.
So far so good, able to print again, may just need to do a few tweaks to settings.

dragon2040

Return to Troubleshooting talk