Can't get into programming mode on Rev F5

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby Jozer503 » 2019-Feb-Fri-20-Feb

I have a Rev F5 printrboard. I decided to put modern marlin on it, installed no problem, but I didn't like it and decided to go back. But now I'm stuck in "regular" mode, I can't get into programming mode.

I install the boot jumper and press the reset button, and the printer disappears and reappears in my device list, but it doesn't show up as a new type of USB device. Even with the boot jumper installed, I can connect to the printer with Pronterface and it responds to commands. Since it isn't going into programming mode, I can't install the Flip driver and Flip won't recognize it to program. I also tried using my USBtinyISP, but since it refuses to go into programming mode, I can't even reprogram it that way!

How do I get the printer back into programming mode so I can flash a different firmware!?!

Jozer503
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Can't get into programming mode on Rev F5

Postby RetireeJay » 2019-Feb-Sat-07-Feb

One feature of the firmware that may not be obvious is that it always boots up from a power-down in run mode, regardless of the jumper. To get it into programming mode, you have to have the jumper in place and the power on when you press the so-called "reset" button, and leave the power on. If this isn't working, maybe your jumper isn't making contact.

I never used an ISP programmer successfully, but I thought that the concept there did not involve going into programming mode. Essentially, the jumper-activated "programming mode" is when a bootstrap routine is activated in the Printrboard's CPU: it is executing program instructions to receive data from the USB port and put data into other parts of the programming space. But if I understand the concept behind ISP programming, it does not require the Printrboard's CPU to do anything; you have direct access to the program memory under hardware control. So the position of the jumper would seem to be irrelevant. I may be wrong about that, but that's what I was led to understand.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Jozer503 » 2019-Feb-Sat-09-Feb

Jay, thanks for getting back to me.

I have tried using the reset button to no avail, resetting with the boot jumper on doesn't get me in to boot mode either.

I also figured it might be a bad jumper, so I tried two different jumpers, as well as manually shorting the pins by holding a piece of metal to them. None of this had any effect. I wondered if the pins could somehow have gotten disconnected, so I checked with a voltmeter, and I see 5V accross them (when not shorted, of course), so it seems like they are connected to something.

Per all the instructions I have read, you need to be in boot mode to do ISP programming. When I hook up the ISP programmer and try to program it in its current state, it cannot connect.

Jozer503

Postby RetireeJay » 2019-Feb-Sat-10-Feb

As I said, I don't have experience. But the instructions for this ISP programmer don't seem to require the target to be in "programming" mode (I guess the connected hardware forces the Printrboard's CPU into a pause mode). http://www.tinyosshop.com/usbtinyisp-avr-isp-programmer

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Jozer503 » 2019-Feb-Sat-16-Feb

I solved it this morning!

The problem was that I flashed the new marlin firmware from the ISP header. This evidently overwrote the DFU bootloader, so the board was operating without a bootloader. This meant I couldn't use Amtel Flip. It also meant that the correct AVRdude command changed. I was able to reflash a bootloader using the following command:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p at90usb1286 -P COMX -U flash:w:at90usb128-bl-usb-1_0_1.hex

Where COMX is replaced with the COM port which the printer shows up as. Once the bootloader was on, I was able to put it into DFU boot mode and load a firmware using FLIP.

Jozer503

Return to Troubleshooting talk