Z raises on a print and them nothing else...

Need help troubleshooting hardware issues... talk here

Postby therustedwrench » 2017-Jul-Fri-08-Jul

been a while. I moved out of town and left my printer at home. been back and now I need to start printing again. The Simple metal with extended print bed kit has been sitting on a table for about a year. I have a new laptop with windows 10 and had to load Repetier Host. I had a few issues getting it to see the printer but it is now seeing it. I can move and home in X, Y and Z (the old Z setting is still here).
I loaded a 3mm cube so I can run through the settings (I have forgotten just about everything at this point and my note book has wondered off)
The 3mm cube loaded, I can move scale and slice it.
I have full manual control over X, Y and Z
I can turn on and off the extruder
I can turn on and off the fan
I do not have a heated bed
the unit worked for about 10 prints or so before I left it. I don't think it was ever actually taken off the table it has been sitting on.
now here is the problem....
when I hit the print button;
the extruder heats up to 200, moves to the center of the print bed (X and Y) (this is where the cube is located, so it is correct)
but the Z moves up maybe 50mm. Nothing extrudes and from this point it sits and does nothing else
it seems to stop heating at 200, it wont shut off the heater and even adjusting the heater to 210 it wont go past 200.
I cancel print and it locks up the software. I pause the print and it locks up
I try to close the software and it says extruder is still on do you want to turn it off...
I can click yes but it stays on and the software does not turn off, it locks up and I have to Control alt delete
reloaded the software still the same.
sometimes I cant even control alt delete....I have to shut down the laptop.
As I type....nothing is working and I am going to do a laptop shut down...

anyone? ideas?

the only thing I have not tried and I'm going to once I restart my laptop ----again--- is to move the cube and see if the X and Y adjusts and see what the Z does....
will let you know as soon as I find out.
I don't remember the Gcode stuff but I will do a search on that and see if there are any error codes.

therustedwrench
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Z raises on a print and them nothing else...

Postby therustedwrench » 2017-Jul-Fri-09-Jul

ok, after a reboot....
it says 9 commands waiting
no start signal detected; forcing start.

so before I can move the cube and try....I'm going to have to figure this out...

even though I have had some prints, of the few I have done, print pretty good....I have never had a GREAT print and I have always had to play with settings on this thing. I had a friend that has the same printer with the same larger print area and his prints were all - load and go. he never played with setting, never messed with it and never had any issues....not so with me. we eve spent a few days matching settings in the room side by side (all the setting but the Z settings) and his printed awesome...mine---ehhh. we used the same temps, filament, speeds.....then we would tweak mine to try and adjust....never a GREAT print....
its too bad I know I would love this thing if it would just work....hahahahahaah

well....here I am again. I cant close Retepier

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeboot

therustedwrench
Levelling print bed...

Postby therustedwrench » 2017-Jul-Fri-09-Jul

well then. . . .

reeeboooted again...

I got the software to talk to the printer now.
I loaded the 3mm cube. moved it off the center. sliced it and. . . . . . . . . . .

the extruder moved to the center of the bed and the Z raised up about 50mm again..same as it did before.
nothing else

so I killed the print.
turned off the fan
turned off the extruder
fan shut off but does not respond now. wont turn on...still connected to printer
extruder is still on at 200
X, Y and Z - none of them will home. none of them will respond.

it is sitting...doing nothing but staying heated at 200

I tried to close the program and it says some heaters are still on do you want us to disable them. I clicked yes but nothing happens.
and I can not close the program.........rebooooooot-----again ! ! !

I'm feeling sledgehammer-ish right now.

I'm stuck.

therustedwrench
Levelling print bed...

Postby therustedwrench » 2017-Jul-Fri-10-Jul

well then. . . I uninstalled Repetier and reinstalled it. . . .
my printer wont hook up to the com. undetected.
unhandled exception error

I don't know where to go from here.

I only get one day off a week and I have just about lost all my time. if I cant get it running I think I'm done.
this printer has been nothing but a problem from day one.

this is a quick summery....it was bad...
It was first delivered from Printerbot with issues. dead out of the box. motherboard was bad. smelled bad. and also later found out the fan was bad.
they would not do anything because I bought from Amazon...but it came directly from Printerbot ! also Amazon would not return it... I wasn't Prime. so I upgraded to Prime. nothing from Amazon...this went on a few months---
Printerbot, their support/communication is nothing. doesn't exist. I never heard from them beyond "you did not buy it directly from us"
bought a new pc board (they were quick to take my money for it...no warranty on the old one) and before it was delivered Amazon said they would help me now.
ok great.....they charged me for another printer before they would authorize a return... messed up and charged me 2 times. I finally sent my printer back, got the new one and a refund for both the printers (the replacement and the accidentally charged one)
and it never really printed good. I had a close friend with the same one. we upgraded to a larger print bed at the same time. moded them both together and his was awesome....mine was...ehh.
so as you see this is why I have owned a Printerbot for almost 3 years and only have been able to print about 10 pieces....moved for work for 11 months...

but now here I am. still issues.

any one have any ideas ! ! !

I thought one last chance.....one last time.....
after this....im done

therustedwrench
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jul-Fri-13-Jul

What's in the Repetier-Host log? What's the first few (say 30 or so) lines of gcode look like?

From the symptoms I'd suspect it's waiting for something (like the non-existent heated bed) to come up to temperature, but the log and gcode would help narrow that down. After being idle a year quite likely you were prompted for a Repetier-Host upgrade; did you do one before trying to print? Have you changed the start gcode, or just use the default?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby therustedwrench » 2017-Jul-Fri-14-Jul

I will check the 30 or so lines when I get home.
It is a new computer wirh Windows 10, i am using a completely new Repetier install.
I do not have a heated bed, i unchecked the heated bed box in the Repetier set up and made sure it was off on screen.
I left it to do the default set up.

I cant get the Repetier to even connect to the prinrer anymore. I keep getting errors on the com.

Thanks for giving me a place to start.
Be back soon.....

therustedwrench
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Jul-Fri-15-Jul

Just today I went through a little exercise with losing the connection from Repetier. There were two causes I needed to fix: (1) the USB plug at the printer end was not fully and securely in its socket on the Printrboard; and (2) the Printrboard firmware will kick itself out and stop functioning if the Hot End thermistor is either open-circuit or short-circuit. There can be other causes as well. There's no harm in "re-installing" the Teensy COM port driver because all that really does is set a flag for Windows. Maybe W-10 doesn't need it, and maybe enabling it under W-10 will either improve or degrade the ability to communicate; I don't know.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby therustedwrench » 2017-Jul-Fri-15-Jul

RetireeJay.
You helped a few years back as well. Thank you...i will try this when I get home.
Also, I did try Cura and i cant anything to function with it....until the recent "you can not connect" issue I at least was able to move X,Y and Z with Repetier.

therustedwrench
Levelling print bed...

Postby therustedwrench » 2017-Jul-Fri-17-Jul

well I got on My dashboard for my local host and there are no codes stored, however....when I got to my local host it says the printer is connected. . . . ?

therustedwrench
Levelling print bed...

Postby therustedwrench » 2017-Jul-Fri-19-Jul

been on this since I got home. tried to flash the MB but the software for printrboard could not be found.
it is an F5 version...

I went into host settings and it seems the printer and is hooked up to the printer
the only way I can open the software and get it to see the printer is to switch it from serial to local host, put in my API number and it connects...for 10seconds, then disconnects for 2 seconds and repeats this cycle.

nothing is working
nothing is good

is it just W10?

therustedwrench
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Jul-Fri-19-Jul

If you're willing to keep the Repetier Host program open and running during your print, you don't need to use Repetier Server, and in my opinion using it just complicates matters. Connect Repetier Host directly to your Printrboard via the virtual COM port that pushes bits over USB. On pre-10 Windows, you "create" that port by "installing" the "Teensy" serial driver (all of this is well documented in other threads).

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby therustedwrench » 2017-Jul-Fri-20-Jul

it wont connect without the server. I closed the window down that had the server active and it says connected but nothing happens. I tried to pull the server back up and now I'm back to nothing working.

I was able to get the server up and do manual controls, after it went crazy and gouged the print bed.

I noticed that my computers printers scanners properties shows I now have 2 simple metal printers and one of them says driver unavailable.

tried the teensy and it says drivers are installed and wont let us do anything else.

I am just at a total loss.....I honestly feel I have been to wellllllllll over 50 sites and spent yesterday and most of today on this...I have reinstalled, reloaded, tried to flash the MB tried to do drivers tried Cura and Repetier tried the server tried just the host. . . .2 times...once yesterday and once just a little while ago I was able to move X, Y and Z; turn fan on and off, turn extruder on but NEVER able to turn it off. . . . if I hit print the head would go to the center of the print board and raise up....stop. nothing else would work....the extruder heated to 200 and wont turn off.....nothing else worked. I also noticed that I lost my pause/print in the software up button to the right next to disconnect button....its just gone

what the h3ll is going on......
I JUST WANT TO PRINT A 3mm CUBE ! ! ! ! !

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-------click, bang, thump......im done

oh....I even tried a different cube that is 10mm just in case the stl was somehome....disturbed !

therustedwrench
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jul-Sat-12-Jul

R-H server is probably still running in the background and blocking access to the computer port. Disable it, make sure it's not running at startup, and reboot

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby therustedwrench » 2017-Jul-Thu-15-Jul

Well.....got angry. Put it up.
However..... making sure im off line and making sure the server is off makes no difcerence.

I have an extra motherboard so it might be time to swap.

therustedwrench
Levelling print bed...

Return to Troubleshooting talk