Metal Simple more Z-Probe points

Postby TWagner » 2014-Aug-Fri-08-Aug

I have a new metal simple and I love it. The only real problem I have is that if something is printing on the back right of the bed it does not seem to stick back there very well. Every other part of the bed is fine. I feel like the problem has to do with the bed not being very level back there and the stock three point probe of the the bed not being enough to detect that.

I have ordered a heated bed and it may be more level and take care of some of these issues. It may not.

I have read about the 9 point probe firmware. Is that something I should do?

TWagner
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Metal Simple more Z-Probe points

Postby MegaMoonMan » 2014-Aug-Fri-09-Aug

The printrboard doesn't have enough memory to use the 9 point leveling.

However, I had the same issue as you on my metal, and the heated bed upgrade did indeed fix it. I did have to raise the back of the bed with a couple washers to get it as level as possible to start. Having a level bed is better than autoleveling, but it's nice to have both.

MegaMoonMan
Solid infill...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Aug-Fri-09-Aug

MegaMoonMan wrote:The printrboard doesn't have enough memory to use the 9 point leveling.

However, I had the same issue as you on my metal, and the heated bed upgrade did indeed fix it. I did have to raise the back of the bed with a couple washers to get it as level as possible to start. Having a level bed is better than autoleveling, but it's nice to have both.

It actually does. I made two firmware versions even up to 12 point leveling.

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby MegaMoonMan » 2014-Aug-Fri-09-Aug

Then why is it not implemented?

MegaMoonMan
Solid infill...

Postby Bellus » 2014-Aug-Fri-10-Aug

I have been using Mach-Chris' 9 point for about a month I think. Ever since I upgraded to the 1405, I couldn't find any other firmware that work as well. I was debating on a 12 point after all of the skewed prints I have been having, but I did something similar to you, leveled the bed manually.

Bellus
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby MegaMoonMan » 2014-Aug-Fri-10-Aug

Where can I find the 9-point leveling FW? I'll give it a shot.

MegaMoonMan
Solid infill...

Bellus

Should be there, like I said I can vouch for the 9 point, but have not tried the 12, but he did create them both so I wouldn't think there would drastic differences. I want to try the 12 but I think it might be a bit excessive for a 6x12 bed and I am to lazy to re-flash, mostly the latter point.

Bellus

One last thing, when I initially flashed it, it was doing some funky stuff of probing the same three points three times. I had to change the setting M212. I don't quite understand it but it worked. Maybe Chris can elaborate on it, either way it is well documented in the threads.

Bellus

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Aug-Fri-12-Aug

Bellus wrote:One last thing, when I initially flashed it, it was doing some funky stuff of probing the same three points three times. I had to change the setting M212. I don't quite understand it but it worked. Maybe Chris can elaborate on it, either way it is well documented in the threads.

It would probe the same point three times because it wants to move further in the Y axis than the firmware will actually allow. This is because with the new firmware, the Y axis limit switch isn't your "home"(Y0.) position for the Y axis. The home for the Y axis is at full Y extension. So when probing it wants to probe progressively more positive Y values. If the EEPROM is not setup to tell it the home switch offset, then it will behave as you described.

Sometimes it takes a little black magic, I remember orangefurball telling me he spammed M500 about 20 times and then it started working as it should....odd isn't it?

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby MegaMoonMan » 2014-Aug-Fri-14-Aug

Thanks, I'll try the 9 point over the weekend. I feel like I already sorted out the Y home when I first got the metal since it was reversed from my original printrbot and that caused some confusion, but I'll be sure to double check. When Y homes it reads as 150, while X is still zero.

Hopefully it doesn't come down to messing with M212, I have that set in Z to what I need it at and changing it would mess up my first layers. I can't imagine why it would have anything to do with the Y axis.

MegaMoonMan
Solid infill...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Aug-Fri-15-Aug

If it's reading y150. At the switch you should be good to go

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Munson » 2014-Aug-Sat-08-Aug

What do you mean by spammed 20 times?he kept sending the command?

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Aug-Sat-09-Aug

Yeah, I haven't the slightest idea why it started working after that. But it did

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby InfamousChicken » 2014-Aug-Sun-11-Aug

So, just to confirm, the 9-point leveling firmware linked to works on the Simple Metal? The first layer is just not sticking to the back right corner for me, even though the rest is properly squished.

InfamousChicken
Loading filament...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Aug-Sun-14-Aug

InfamousChicken wrote:So, just to confirm, the 9-point leveling firmware linked to works on the Simple Metal? The first layer is just not sticking to the back right corner for me, even though the rest is properly squished.

Yes, I also have it running on my 1405 with no issues.

Keep in mind, however, more probing may not solve your back corner issue, though it might help. On my OEM bed even with 9 point probing I still had a corner too high (almost nozzle drag) just due to the fact that the table wasn't flat enough. The probing only averages out the 9 points, it currently doesn't account for lack of flatness. The only way I managed to work around it was to always avoid printing in that area, so I would move parts around in my slicer, or rotate them 45 just to avoid my high corner.

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby InfamousChicken » 2014-Aug-Sun-14-Aug

Hmm. Thanks for the response! That's kind of the answer I was expecting. Will a replacement bed help? Specifically a machined aluminum one? I've been waiting on the one you make to get back in stock

InfamousChicken
Loading filament...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Aug-Sun-14-Aug

The new versions are made of 1/4" mic6 plate. Mic6 has varying flatness tolerances depending on the plate thickness. 1/4" being the thinnest, has a flatness tolerance of .015" flatness on mill origin sheets....which in many cases is 4' x 8' sheet, that then gets cut into smaller sections for our tables.

You can view all the mic6 specs here:

http://www.alcoa.com/mill_products/catalog/mic-6.pdf

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby sheldonth » 2015-Apr-Mon-15-Apr

Does anyone know of an updated URL for downloading the 9 point firmware for simple metal? the dropbox link is broken.

sheldonth
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Apr-Mon-18-Apr

Ah, yeah sorry, I recently reorganized the Dropbox folder to accommodate for a few different firmware version.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iplyc3itlhhn ... 2H2Za?dl=0

There is 9 point and even 12 point available in here should you want to go that high. Be aware the one labeled E3D is for a different thermistor (found on the e3d hotend). MatrixRevD and MatrixRevF are only 3 point, they were required for legacy kits to change the probe positions slightly.

And the one Tagged •bach• is experimental.

OH and the 9 point and 12 Point firmwares are only for revD, I haven't made new ones for revF. A flat/ aligned bed is better anyways ;)

Last edited by Mach-Chris on 2015-Apr-Mon-18-Apr, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Apr-Mon-18-Apr

Side note, You MIGHT need to flip your Y motor connector.

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Return to Simple talk (software)