Wont connect to repetier

Wont connect to repetier

Postby Sintax » 2014-May-Fri-18-May

My printrbot simple just arrived today and i couldnt wait to get it printing, i hooked it up as the instructions said but when i clicked connect on repetier it refused to connect to my simple!
FIXED

Last edited by Sintax on 2014-May-Fri-18-May, edited 1 time in total.
Sintax
Loading filament...

Wont connect to repetier

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Wont connect to repetier

Postby pvyParts » 2014-May-Fri-18-May

In the com port strings turn rest on conect to disabled

pvyParts
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Sintax » 2014-May-Fri-18-May

I fixed it, the problem was that i am running windows 7 so i needed to install a virtual driver.

Sintax
Loading filament...

Postby Willy » 2015-Jul-Mon-05-Jul

My problem with Repetier is that after I slice it, the program goes to manual control and then it doesnt do anything.
Yes I did do the connect and the icon turned green. Currently I am using Cura, yet repetier will let me save different filament settings.

I don't care if you're white, black, red, periwinkle, burnt umber, or chartreuse -- resisting arrest is not a right, it's a crime. And it's never a good idea. ~Mike Rowe
Willy

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jul-Mon-05-Jul

Let's check a couple of things here:

What version of Printrboard are you using? What is your computer's Operating System?

1) After you connect Repetier to the printer (the icon is green) - can you verify that you do in fact have manual control over the printer? If not, then, we're looking at some kind of connection / compatibility issue.

2) What is your workflow for slicing the model? Are you telling Repeier to bring in an STL and then to slice it, or are you running your slicer separately and bringing in a G-code model to Repetier? If you are asking Repetier to do the slicing, which slicer are you using (Slic3r, Cura Engine, or Skeinforge)? Are you sure that all your slicer settings are right? Does the slicing process in fact give you a G-code model, or does it quit on some kind of error? Repetier has this little quirk where you can tell it to "print" a G-code model which has no lines of G-code at all: it immediately "finishes" with "success" but never tells you that you just printed nothing! You need to see your object in the "Preview" tab to be sure there is really a sliced object ready to print.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Willy » 2015-Jul-Mon-10-Jul

Win 7x64
Repetier - Host bersion 1.56? What ever the update says it should have it gets.

Steps are as follows:
Launch program
Click on the connect
Load file
--------
two different scenarios I have tried here will name them A & B.
---------
A
In the box to the right select slice
Box marked begin print after slice (both A and B)
Click slice, power bar goes across
Dumps me at manual control.
The scale doesnt reflect any thing has changed, I smell the extruder getting hot and filament oozes out. (happens both A and B)
nothing
yes the extruder does NOT have slash
-----------------------
B
Tried to click the print right pointing arrow

I don't care if you're white, black, red, periwinkle, burnt umber, or chartreuse -- resisting arrest is not a right, it's a crime. And it's never a good idea. ~Mike Rowe
Willy

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jul-Mon-13-Jul

After slicing an STL file (or loading a g-code file), what do you see in the "print preview" tab?

If nothing is there, nothing is going to print.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Willy » 2015-Jul-Mon-19-Jul

if there is nothing to print, why did the software remove the item I want to print? It is there if I go back to the load window.

Also I am having a heck of a time getting Cura to work. I am unplugging both cables then replugging in this order power then the USB. Yet when I tell Cura to print, the print button goes grey yet most of the time Cura doesnt reflect that the extruder IS getting hot. The image doesnt refresh for the actual temperature. Sometimes I can get it to print if I unplug it, then plug the usb back in.

Willy

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jul-Mon-21-Jul

I'm sorry. I only use Repetier, so I was mistaken. When you use Cura, it automatically goes ahead and starts slicing your model as soon as you import it. When it's finished slicing, it tells you how long the print will take and how much material it will use. Presumably, those are non-zero.

Have you tried a different model? Some STL files are defective.

I think you have some other kind of communication difficulty going on with your USB interface. Have you tried using a different cable?

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jul-Tue-09-Jul

If it is the model (like Jay said bad stl files are common, even on the big download sites) then look into netfabb basic. There's a free version with both online and downloadable variants. I use the download version.

If you're unwilling to give out your email address they don't check it. One of the 5 minute free emails will work, or probably nobody@nowhere.com. That said, there's no reason to suspect nefarious behavior from netfabb, and they have one of my sneakemail addresses.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Willy » 2015-Jul-Tue-20-Jul

Thankyou for your responses.

Well I reinstalled the software and it now works. I will have to give it a proper trial tomorrow when my wife is not trying to sleep.

Still not sure what is ailing Cura, it doesnt refresh what the extruder temp is. I did a test of sorts today, where instead of trying to get it to read, I ignored the screen that would not show the extruder was infact heating. It did start to print after some time, yet it bothers me that it worked correctly (the software), yet now it wont reflect the actual temp when it is trying to heat up.

Willy

Return to Simple talk (software)