Simplify3D And Mattercontrol

Postby andychn » 2014-May-Fri-01-May

Both work well with the Simple. In Simplify3D you simply select the Printrbot Jr in the pulldown for the process and set the bed size accordingly. Simplyfy3D's capabilities are hard to beat with manual supports, temp per layer, the very best visualizations, auto speed setting per layer. You get what you pay for.'
but... for FREE you can use Mattercontrol written by the guy that wrote the code in Marlin for auto leveling in the Z-Axis. Mattercontrol will allow you to use auto leveling without the proximity sensor. It uses Slicer, and a ported version of Cura.

andychn
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Simplify3D And Mattercontrol

Postby JBurd67 » 2014-May-Fri-11-May

The Mattercontrol looks interesting. I wonder how it would work with the new simple metal (WITH the proximity sensor). Have you explored it's capabilities? How easy is it to control with supports, temperature, etc?

JBurd67
I'm an end stop.

Postby Jdublu » 2014-May-Fri-12-May

I just downloaded it this morning and plan to give it a try on my Metal Simple tonight. Will report back.
BTW, I've been using their (MatterHackers) PLA for a while and can't say enough good things about their product or their customer service. Two day delivery from Cali to S. Florida, FREE!

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-May-Sat-17-May

First try with Mattercontrol went well. It slices about twice as fast as Slic3r built in Repetier. Prints came out great. Some of the info I got used to looking for (number of layers total, current layer) does not seem to be there, though it does show a percentage of print completion.

It's going to take a few more hours of playing with, er, testing, yeah testing, before I'm completely comfortable with it, but it's pretty good, right out of the gate.

j.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby andychn » 2014-May-Sat-21-May

As long as you have your start Gcode with the...

G28 X0 Y0; move to points for leveling
G29
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

... It does not matter what SW you use. You'll get the auto leveling in the Z axis. Actually I believe with the MSimple you do not want to turn on auto leveling in Mattercontrol since the MSimple's FW is doing it. Mattercontrol will do the Z axis compensation in your gcode.

But ya wanna see REAL TOTALLY AWESOME stuff? Try Simplfy3D! I love that SW!

andychn
Levelling print bed...

Return to Simple talk (software)