Best settings for slic3r

Best settings for slic3r

Postby Sintax » 2014-May-Wed-21-May

My printrbot simple metal should be arriving any day now so im setting up all of my software, i have no clue what settings are optimal for the printrbot simple. Anyone have some good settings?

Sintax
Loading filament...

Best settings for slic3r

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Best settings for slic3r

Postby JBurd67 » 2014-May-Wed-21-May

I followed the Printrbot setup and startup guide. Really, "optimal" all depends on what you're trying to do. If you're unexperienced and just starting out, I'd follow the guide, learn what you can, read, read, read some more about slic3r settings and calibration with certain settings, and once you get a little more experience, try it all out.
I got a metal simple as well, and had it for about 1 week - I haven't changed anything from my settings, except for infill and support settings. Don't change anything until you're comfortable with it, but don't be afraid to experiment!

JBurd67
I'm an end stop.

Postby KC_703 » 2014-May-Thu-22-May

To be honest, the Simple Metal prints pretty well with default repetier and slic3r settings. I printed a few calibration cubes with min (pre-assembled Simple Metal) with no issues. Then I read further on the product page and found the getting started guide which has some better settings... The auto-level sensor is important... Watch the video regardless, and key in on theg-code to enable the auto-level feature.

Have fun! The last week has been a blast and like drinking fro a fire hose.

KC_703
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Mindy45 » 2014-Jun-Sun-10-Jun

Hi there,

Excuse me I am new to this so it may sound simple. I am experiancing problems with Slic3r. The printer manually works fine. I have entred the settings as described in the 'getting started Guide' This was slightly different from the latest windows version but when I try to slice the loaded object the following error message appears and the g code is not produced. Would somebody like to point me in the right direction please?

Regards Chris Lewis

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mindy45
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby evanalmighty » 2014-Jun-Sun-11-Jun

Looks like something is wrong with your slic3r settings. That error message says your first layer height cannot be higher than your nozzle diameter.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby Mindy45 » 2014-Jun-Sun-15-Jun

Thanks,

I have set as in the guide supplied with the machine. It is a little difficult as the guide shows the MAC version and I suspect the windows version is later so obviously there is something amiss that I have overlooked. If somebody could post the configuration file for the latest repiter program I would be most grateful.

Regards Confused of Loughborough

Mindy45

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jun-Sun-15-Jun

Many Simple owners have had good luck with the settings here: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=3757

On your Repetier screen, I see that all the Configurations are "Untitled." Maybe that's not a problem, but I suspect that it may be a problem. If you don't follow the steps right, you can "configure" all you want and your settings will be totally ignored! See this post: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4807#p31331

Personally, I prefer to use Slic3r as a stand-alone program to generate G-code, and then load the G-code into Repetier. By doing it that way, I have full visibility of all the Slic3r settings all through the process - instead of modifying and saving the settings and then running the slicing in a separate step.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mindy45 » 2014-Jun-Mon-01-Jun

Thank you so much, I will try this later on. As you can appreciate there is a lot to take in at the begining. My main interest is to produce models of our large turbogenerators in bits by taking the STL files from the output of our 3D CAD system at work. Next step is to find out how to scale them down to fit in the printable area on the simple. Once again thanks

Regards Less confused in Loughborough

Mindy45

Postby Jerware » 2014-Aug-Sat-01-Aug

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've been searching high and low for slic3r suggestions in order to print some tricky objects and I wish someone had pointed me toward the Simple Slow Config file on the official site. Somehow I missed that when setting up my printer a couple weeks ago. Those Slic3r settings are the only ones I've found that will successfully print the Main Fan from the popular jet engine over on Thingiverse. I'm happy. Hope this helps someone else.

Jerware

Return to Simple talk (software)