Correct HEX file for E3D-V6

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Jul-Sun-13-Jul

I am going to have to reflash my firmware, on my Simple Metal. I have a F5 version board. I have to reflash my firmware because I reverted back to Windows 7 from Windows 10. I had to do a install using a USB flash drive for Windows 7. But I do not know what is the correct .hex file needed for a E3d-V6, and Windows 7. Could someone point to the correct file link, please?

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Correct HEX file for E3D-V6

Postby frankv » 2016-Jul-Sun-14-Jul

bbrown64 wrote:I am going to have to reflash my firmware, on my Simple Metal. I have a F5 version board. I have to reflash my firmware because I reverted back to Windows 7 from Windows 10. I had to do a install using a USB flash drive for Windows 7. But I do not know what is the correct .hex file needed for a E3d-V6, and Windows 7. Could someone point to the correct file link, please?

Hi Bill,
Sorry, I don't understand.
There is no difference in firmware for Windows 7 vs Windows 10 (or Mac or Linux). You *might* need to change the Arduino or Cura or Repetier Host or whatever runs at the Windows end, but you won't have to change your firmware.

It also might not be necessary to change your firmware for an E3D-V6. The only reason would be if the E3DV6 thermistor was different from the standard thermistor.

Frank

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Aug-Mon-07-Aug

Frank, I am using the thermister from E3D. It is another reason for re flashing the firmware. My printer never did work correctly while I was using Windows 10. Going back to Windows 7 is another reason I believe that the firmware needs a update.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Aug-Mon-08-Aug

Bill, I agree with Frank 100%. You MAY need to re-flash your firmware, but that has NOTHING to do with what computer or operating system you are using. Windows XP thru Windows 10; any version of Mac; Linux, Ubuntu, Octoprint on a Raspberry Pi... all the computer does is send G-code commands to the Printrboard. The G-code is a "universal language"

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Aug-Mon-09-Aug

If you mean the serial port "driver", Printrbot links to it here. It's not an actual driver, but merely a mapping table that links the AT90USB128 MCU's USB ID to the stock windows USB serial port driver. IIRC that's included in the current W10 versions.

If you mean firmware, what kind of problems are you having? I have the original (and early) Rev. D Printrboard, and have had absolutely no problems with Windows 10 Printrbot support through multiple Insider Preview installations (I'm currently running what'll be tomorrows "Anniversary Update"). I have had some issues with needing to reinstall wireless drivers, and had a defective hard drive that would screw up installing updates (resolved with a drive replacement; the questionable drive was a per-release version ), but this no longer a stock laptop. I've also had issues installing an old java based electronic charting package, but that's been with file permissions on XP era software and also affected the unlamented Win8.1. Repetier-Host works just fine with my KCSP.

If it's just the thermistor, swap it with the one Printrbot (and about everybody except E3D) uses. Nothing special or better about E3Ds, just a different temperature curve. Using a different thermistor than the rest was not one of their better decisions. Just spend a little bit more and get a decent one, not the cheapie of the day from fleabay. $10.00 from Printrbot, with the right connector already on it. I've wasted more than that in filament in a bad week, maybe even in a real bad day...

Gosh, I'm starting to sound like a WIndows Evangelist. I'm not. While I've used DOS and Windows since the 1.0 version of both, I've used *nix since the early 80s, SysV, BSD, Solaris, whatever I forgot, this latecomer from the excitable Linus guy, not to mention being a former mainframe and mini systems programmer/admin. WinHose is just another flavor of hammer to get the job done. I find the "The Sky is Falling" that accompanies every Windows release annoying. So the NSA is tapping my computer, but they're also using the camera and microphone in my phone (webcam, SmartTV, whatever) to keep tabs on me anyway. Somebody had to do what George Orwell predicted...

KIrk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Aug-Mon-14-Aug

Moose, Thank you for the link. Sometime in the next 48-72 hrs I will re-establish a connection to my printer. However, today is a recovery day. I had a tooth extracted today. Since It had been with me for 65 years it did not come out in a single piece. The tooth fought to stay where it was at. So my recovery will be today and tomorrow.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Aug-Mon-14-Aug

Ouch. Just at the dentist a couple days ago, but only a filling in a tooth about 10 years younger than yours (since it's a "grown up" tooth replacing the original). It'd be nice if we'd get a third set...

Good luck with getting your E3D to work; I have one coming with the furball's slightly delayed Thingybot.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Aug-Tue-13-Aug

Moose, thank you for the serial install file. It was the only thing I had to re-install. My printer is working just like it did before. Now I can catch up on a back log of stuff to print.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Return to Simple talk (software)