Computer and printer not connecting

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Jul-Fri-14-Jul

My printer and computer are not talking to each other. I had a power failure yesterday during a thunderstorm. Now my printer and computer do not connect. I have unplugged the usb cable to the computer and plugged it back in. I have reinstalled the tiny serial driver. The green light is on the printer. The printer had been turned off for several days. I do not think the outage would have affected the printer. I suspect the problem is on the computer side. I am using a Windows 10 PC desktop. The printer was working with Windows 10 last week. The Device Manager does not show any problem. Devices and Printers shows Printrbot Simple Metal. Any suggestion on where to go from here?

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Computer and printer not connecting

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Jul-Fri-14-Jul

Take a look in Windows at the detailed information about the "Printrbot Simple Metal" and see which COM port it's showing up on. Then go to your UI (Repetier, Cura, Matterhackers, Pronterface...) and look at its configuration for connecting to the printer. Although the UI software usually finds the right COM port on its own, sometimes the auto-detect fails and you have to type in the correct port.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Re: Computer and printer not connecting

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Jul-Sat-07-Jul

Jay, you answer was correct. Auto detect did not detect the printer. My printer is on Com 3. That fixed the communications problem, Thank you.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Return to Simple talk (software)