STL-GCODE

STL-GCODE

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Jun-Mon-03-Jun

I print using Cura. I load a model's .STL file to print. I have never saved a GCODE. Is it important to save GCODES along with the .STL of any certain parts I print?

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

STL-GCODE

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: STL-GCODE

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jun-Mon-06-Jun

bbrown64 wrote:I print using Cura. I load a model's .STL file to print. I have never saved a GCODE. Is it important to save GCODES along with the .STL of any certain parts I print?

No, as lomg as you have the settings for your printing program and the stl file, you have the gcode. CURA creates gcode automatically and sends that to the printer when you print. The only time you need to save gcode specificaly is if you are printing via an sdcard instead of using usb.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Jun-Mon-06-Jun

It's worth noting that if you're experimenting with settings, saving the gcode could be beneficial as you can go back and read off your settings from the files. Comes in handy sometimes :)

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jun-Mon-06-Jun

It's kinda yes and no. I have often experimented with settings, for example to get the walls to fill in just right or get the support to do what I want it to do. So the ability to save the G-code and give it its own descriptive name is helpful. On the other hand, the G-code has been generated with a specific filament diameter (and optimum extrusion temperature), and it won't be as useful for doing a print at a later date if you are using a different spool of filament.

For those who are using Repetier instead of Cura (including myself), I strongly prefer to generate a G-code file with Slic3r and then load the G-code into Repetier - because I get more (or easier) control over the slicing process that way. That's not an issue with Cura because Cura is first and foremost a slicer with in-depth controls, and only incidentally a User Interface to the machine.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Simple talk (software)