Marlin 1.1.5-20170918 Simple Firmware Available

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jun-Wed-16-Jun

http://www.xilka.com/printrbot/marlin/1.1.5/20170918/

20170918:
Bumped to Marlin 1.1.5.

20170707:
Fixed the led code, it now works. If you are using a camera, you will get much better results with the led strip mounted at the camera rather than by the hotend. This allows you to run "lights-out" and monitor/timelapse through OctoPrint.

Great strides have been made in Marlin firmware over the years, unfortunately for most the code is a quilt-work of patches and very difficult to enhance. That is probably why there have been so many forks that did something interesting and then fell by the wayside as the patches became tedious to roll back into newer versions.

I have been enhancing/patching the latest Marlin for over a year to allow me to use the latest versions in conjunction with new features of Marlin and the PrintrBot Simple.

The code:
    Linear bed level with triple touch probing (it averages the three taps just like Prusa firmware)
    M851 (Marlin standard) is used to set the z-probe offset
    M420 can be used to set a z fade height at which bed leveling code it no longer active
    X-axis upgrade is supported
    Super-Z upgrade is supported
    Four-start 8mm z-rod is supported
    16T and 20T stepper pulleys are supported
    PrintrBot RGBW led strip is supported (using the pins documented in the "official" upgrade process)
    temperature controlled hot-end fan is supported (requires you to construct a MOSFET extension board)

Minimum requirements:
    Ubis 13S hotend
    heated bed
    LCD display is not supported (does not fit in current Marlin memory footprint)

Firmwares are available here (32 builds to handle the various options):

20170621:
Fixed wrong z-rod calculation for those with 8mm 4-start zrods

Code: Select all
PrintrBot Simple Firmware legend:

extruder:
    |
    |- extold - the original simple extruder
    |- extgh  - the gearhead extruder

z-axis height:
            |
            |- origz  - the original simple z height
            |- superz - the super-z upgrade

x-axis width:
                |
                |- origx - the original simple z width
                |- xupg  - the x upgrade

z-rod type:
                    |
                    |- quarter - the original simple quarter inch z lead-screw
                    |- fs8     - the 8mm four-start z lead-screw

pulley teeth:
                        20t - the original simple 20 tooth pulleys
                        16t - converted to 16 tooth pulleys

Last edited by cbxbiker61 on 2017-Sep-Mon-05-Sep, edited 6 times in total.
cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Marlin 1.1.3 Simple Firmware Available

Postby PxT » 2017-Jun-Mon-17-Jun

Nice work. Where can we find the source code for these changes? The terms of the Marlin license (GPL) require you to post source & not just binary blobs, so that others can build on your work.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jun-Mon-20-Jun

PxT wrote:Nice work. Where can we find the source code for these changes? The terms of the Marlin license (GPL) require you to post source & not just binary blobs, so that others can build on your work.

Glad you like the work. Of course I'm happy to post the source changes. I am a BIG open source fan. FYI, actually the GPL only requires source code "on request" from users of the code. I was actually waiting for someone to find the code interesting enough to ask.

http://www.xilka.com/printrbot/marlin/1 ... 0615.patch

NOTE: the 20170615 specs a 150x150x150 build size, this is so I have a "negative" Y area to extrude a primer strip ala Prusa's I3 firmware. This in fact allows me to slice a file that is compatible with Prusa I3's. As long as my desired platform size is small enough for the Simple build platform, I slice it for the PrintrBot and use it on either machine. There is a Slic3r compatible init file in the patch. I'll also put the ini file in the distribution tree so people have it for the binaries.

Apply the patch to clean Marlin 1.1.3. Look at build-printrbot.sh, Makefile and PrintrBotConfig.h to see how I build the various versions on Linux.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby DavidYon47 » 2017-Jun-Tue-20-Jun

Can you summarize some of the advantages of using a more up-to-date Marlin build over what Printrbot ships with an F6 board?

I presume some of the things you list as supported are items you had to re-merge into the mainline Marlin (the LED's, improved Z rod, X/Z upgrades, etc). It also seems like that some of these were simply a matter of #defining the proper defaults (like the correct stepper values for the Z-rod, correct X-axis dimension, etc). Not to minimize the amount of work you've done, maintaining such a... ummm... "mature" code base is not for the faint of heart, and it's often the seemingly simple things that prove the most vexing (30-year Software Veteran speaking).

I'm all for having better firmware and therefore better prints. If the G2 board supported a heated bed it might have crossed over my pain/gain threshold, for example. And the stock firmware in my F6 board is noticeably smoother than what was in my old D board from 2013, so having the D's USB connector finally implode was a blessing in addition to a hassle.

Giving up the LCD will be painful. I do plan on building one of those Pi-with-touchscreen OctoPrint setups to put on the printer, so that will probably alleviate some of that pain. But that won't be on my radar for awhile.

DavidYon47
Levelling print bed...

Postby PxT » 2017-Jun-Tue-21-Jun

cbxbiker61 wrote: FYI, actually the GPL only requires source code "on request" from users of the code. I was actually waiting for someone to find the code interesting enough to ask.

I think you may have that backwards - if you post the binaries you have to also post the source or a written offer to provide the source. The words "on request" don't appear in the GPLv3, FWIW. In any case, licenses are confusing and I'm certainly not trying to be an a**hole about it. Usually it's just easier to post everything on GitHub and be done with it. ;)

In any case, thanks for posting your patch I actually do want to look over it. Have you tried compiling the latest Marlin straight out of the box? I last tried it a month or so ago and it was pretty painless - just a few tweaks in Configuration.h to get it configured for my machine. Curious how your changes differ…

PxT
Print complete...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jun-Wed-03-Jun

20170621:
Fixed wrong z-rod calculation for those with 8mm 4-start zrods

http://www.xilka.com/printrbot/marlin/1.1.3/20170621/

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jun-Wed-03-Jun

Github is great for certain cases. In this case, a patch actually makes it more obvious what has been changed.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby DavidYon47 » 2017-Jun-Sun-15-Jun

Could you provide a legend to decode your file naming? I'm not sure which firmware I really want. My current setup is:
  • Simple Metal
  • Four-stop Z-rod (not Super-Z)
  • Gearhead V2 Extruder
  • Heated Bed (normal size, not extended Z)
  • LED Strip
  • Ubis 13S

DavidYon47
Levelling print bed...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jun-Sun-21-Jun

OK, I put a legend in post #1

Unless you have changed to 16t pulleys, you would want:
extgh-origz-origx-fs8-20t.hex

It's a pre-req for the UBIs 13S and heated bed, so those are not options.

The led should be wired exactly as described in the guide. FYI, I pulled in an external library to handle the RGBA leds, and I haven't actually tested it yet, we'll just have to see if it works. I will have RGBA leds this week so I'll have something to test with.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jun-Sun-22-Jun

Also keep in mind that I use the Marlin standard M851 to set the probe offset rather than the old PrintrBot gcode (can't remember what it was, it's been a long time since I had a stock firmware installed).

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby DavidYon47 » 2017-Jun-Mon-08-Jun

Yay, I guessed right. Thanks for posting the legend. Most of it was fairly obvious, though I had no idea what the stock tooth count is (had to Google that), guessed that "fs8" meant Four Stop 8mm, and had no idea what "gh" meant. I figured it was more likely the right thing than something labelled "old". :D

I also noticed the M851 command from the M501 report, so immediately switched to that when I had to recalibrate Z. One thing that would be nice for your build is to allow a positive Z offset rather than -1.5 -> 0.0mm, as sometimes the overshoot on the probe nuts is in the opposite direction. When Googling the problem I saw it's a simple #define in the code, though I don't know whether there are undesired side-effects by allowing a positive Z offset.

I really like the improved Z-homing, and the four-point bed leveling whether the Z-stop is tested several times to help average out the inconsistencies.

DavidYon47
Levelling print bed...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jun-Mon-12-Jun

David,

There's actually a reason why I didn't allow a positive Z axis offset and it's probably better to leave it as it is. If your probe is set too high, i.e. such that it requires a positive Z axis adjustment, the hot-end would touch down during probing which is something we don't want. In that case physically adjusting the inductive probe to a "normal" height with the original black 1mm acrylic test shim would be called for.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jun-Mon-12-Jun

Something you may want to try out when you get a chance is the M420 (set z fade height) followed by M500 to write it to EEPROM. I have mine set to 3mm. The advantage to setting a z fade height is that bed leveling is tapered off as it move to the z fade height at which point it is totally disabled. The main perks with this are that the lead screw isn't constantly making z height adjustments on each layer and you save cpu cycles, which should improve the print smoothness of curves (faster and lack of stuttering on short radius curves).

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby DavidYon47 » 2017-Jun-Mon-22-Jun

Cool on the Z-fade, had no idea what that was. The other thing I have to play with more seriously at some point is firmware retraction.

Though it may be hard to tell how much the Z-fade will buy me. Over the winter I did a fine-tuning pass shimming the bed, and when I was manually checking Z probing, the four corners of the bed were within 0.1mm of each other when I was done. Even when the extruder makes a long diagonal pass across the bed, there is only barely perceptible movement of the Z-coupling (like less than 5 degrees).

That said, it's worth a try when I have the time to go into fiddle/fine-tuning mode. I had my hands full just getting the fan shroud situation back to where it used to be.

DavidYon47
Levelling print bed...

Re: Marlin 1.1.4 Simple Firmware Available

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jul-Wed-02-Jul

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Re: Marlin 1.1.4-20170707 Simple Firmware Available

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jul-Fri-22-Jul

http://www.xilka.com/printrbot/marlin/1.1.4/20170707/

20170707:
Fixed the led code, it now works. If you are using a camera, you will get much better results with the led strip mounted at the camera rather than by the hotend. This allows you to run "lights-out" and monitor/timelapse through OctoPrint.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jul-Fri-22-Jul

BTW, you will get better results at fine print resolutions (0.05, 0.1, 0.15) with the 8mm lead-screw rather than the original SAE lead-screw. I would venture a guess that this has to do with SAE to metric conversion and uneven stepping at those resolutions. With the original lead-screw I was getting banding at 0.15 resolution, that is gone with the 8mm.

Prusa has been saying about the MK2 that you will be impressed by the print quality at 0.15 resolution. Now that I have a 8mm lead-screw (also 16t pulleys) on my PrintrBot I can say that my Simple Metal is achieving print results very much the same as my Prusa.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby cscott » 2017-Jul-Thu-13-Jul

Thanks a lot! I used this as a base and added extrudrboard support. My current version is here: cscott/Marlin/tree/xilka2 on github.

I also factored out a number of patches to upstream: MarlinFirmware/Marlin/pull/7284 (neopixel rgbw support) and MarlinFirmware/Marlin/pull/7286 (updates to pins_PRINTRBOARD_REVF.h) on github.

I hope to clean up the rest of the changes so that I can submit a PR which adds the Printrboard to the "example_configurations" directory.

[Sorry, the forum won't let me post linked URLs.]

cscott
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Vapor » 2017-Jul-Sun-14-Jul

I keep getting gateway timeouts when trying to get to the firmware. Is there somewhere else I could get it from?

Vapor
Levelling print bed...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jul-Mon-02-Jul

Vapor wrote:I keep getting gateway timeouts when trying to get to the firmware. Is there somewhere else I could get it from?

Must've been a temporary outage, I know it's online now. The site is distributed to servers in various locations.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jul-Wed-08-Jul

I designed a PiCam 2/RGBW LED bed mount that will facilitate the RGBW firmware support.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=11498

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Re: Marlin 1.1.5-20170918 Simple Firmware Available

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Sep-Mon-05-Sep

Bumped to Marlin 1.1.5.

http://www.xilka.com/printrbot/marlin/1.1.5/20170918/

cscott: I PM'd you about a fix to the merged 1.1.5 code.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Return to Simple talk (software)