All that wire

All that wire

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Jun-Fri-06-Jun

I like my PB Simple Metal well enough. However, there is one thing that irritates me more than anything. It is all the extra length of wire that has to be stuffed up inside of the printer. IMHO those wires should be a custom length to fit perfectly, and not have several extra inches of wire to have to bundle up. So my question is Can those wires be made shorter? If so has anyone done that?

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

All that wire

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: All that wire

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jun-Fri-07-Jun

You can, of course, shorten the wires if you have the right tools and equipment. For example, connector parts and a crimping tool, or a soldering station along with shrink tubing. In my case, I have lengthened some of the leads to achieve a more "relaxed" fit for certain axes.

If all the wires are cut to the "perfect" length, then it makes troubleshooting more difficult. For example, we may want to put the X motor on the Y axis as a troubleshooting step to find out if a problem is in the motor or the controller. Whether you personally modify your printer or not, the fact is that Printrbot printers are still in the "hobbyist" domain, and many people do modify their printers. Having the extra wire length is very handy for this.

From the standpoint of manufacturing, the production volume and duration of production run simply doesn't justify making motors, thermistors, etc with custom-length leads for each individual axis of each individual model of printer. You would need to have production runs in the hundreds of thousands or in the millions to justify creating custom wiring harnesses (or else have a military budget, where everything has to be just perfect, but the purchase cost is 10X the cost of civilian gear).

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mrmakerman » 2015-Jun-Fri-07-Jun

Hi,
If you ever plan on upgrading the bot, such as a Z axis upgrade,you will need the extra length. I upgraded my PB metal simple to a 10 inch Z hight and the stock wires reach with no extensions needed. If you don't plan on upgrading you can just zippy them more tightly and they tuck up under nicely.

You could technically shorten the wires but I wouldn't suggest it, that is a lot of connections to solder and shrink tube. Besides there are a number of wire management tools out there that will help like, el-kro reusable wire ties, sleeves and more. Heck, you could even get real fancy and build an enclosure for your bot and hide whatever you find unsightly. Thats the beauty of open source!!!

Mr. Makerman
Chris from Bethlehem PA
Printrbot Metal Simple
matrix precision 8x8x10 build volume upgrade w/
E3Dv6 hot end
Removable custom glass bed
Simplify3D exclusively
Mrmakerman
Loading filament...

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Jun-Fri-09-Jun

You all have given me valid reasons as to why wire lengths should not be shortened. Thank you for the insight I did not have. I think the alternative will be to sleeve all that wiring to make it more manageable and neat.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Return to Simple talk (hardware)