12v Power Source for LED

12v Power Source for LED

Postby gbutts9 » 2015-Jan-Wed-23-Jan

I have a basic Printrbot Metal Simple and I am hoping to mount a 40mm LED 'angel eye' around the extruder to provide light on the bed. I have designed and printed a mount and I have the LED ring ready to go.

My question is whether there is a readily accessible 12v source that I could use to power the light. I am happy for it to be on whenever there is power to the printer.

I know that I could probably splice into the 6-pin ATX connector but I was wondering if there was any other way. Clearly I don't want to do anything that would cause me to fry the board.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

gbutts9
Waiting to connect to printer...

12v Power Source for LED

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 12v Power Source for LED

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jan-Thu-00-Jan

Use any pair of yellow and black wires coming from the ATX power supply. Yellow is +12V, black is ground. No need to splice into the specific ones being used for the Printrboard.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby gbutts9 » 2015-Jan-Thu-01-Jan

Thanks for your response but the current model Metal Simple doesn't have an ATX power supply like my old wooden Plus. This one has a simple 12v 6A black brick. The ATX connector (maybe I got the wrong name) I was talking about is where the power connects to the board.

gbutts9

Postby Willy » 2015-Jan-Thu-03-Jan

You could use the power from the fan, ie make a Y cable, when the fan turns on it will power the led's. The led's shouldnt draw that much power. (I am guessing, retireejay may be able to say otherwise)

Not sure if the wires are strong enough to support the load.

I don't care if you're white, black, red, periwinkle, burnt umber, or chartreuse -- resisting arrest is not a right, it's a crime. And it's never a good idea. ~Mike Rowe
Willy
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby orangefurball » 2015-Jan-Thu-04-Jan

gbutts9 wrote:Thanks for your response but the current model Metal Simple doesn't have an ATX power supply like my old wooden Plus. This one has a simple 12v 6A black brick. The ATX connector (maybe I got the wrong name) I was talking about is where the power connects to the board.

Splice it from that then, there is no point on the board that naturally has 12v coming out except for the heatbed and hotend, but they are always turning on an off to keep the temperature stable.

The fan is 12v but the MOSFET for it seems to break easily and its not super beefy, plus if you run the fan at anything other than 100%, the LEDS will be dimmer (or flash, not sure) due to the PWM current to the fan.

So your best bet is to carefully hack into the barrel plug to 4 or 6 pin adapter. Just like Jay said, yellow is +12v and black is ground, unless your adapter is red and black in which case red is +12v.

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jan-Thu-07-Jan

Actually, if you do not have a heated bed, then the connector for the heated bed does have continuous +12V. (It switches the ground on and off to control the heat.)

Ground can be found at any of several places. However, the easiest ground to pick up will be different depending on whether you have a Rev D or a Rev F board.

This seems to be such a common issue that I think Printrbot (or somebody) should offer a pre-built assembly with the barrel connector, the ATX-style plug for the board, and a fan plug already spliced in.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Thu-10-Jan

Where did you get that 40mm angel eye ring? The smaller ones can be tough to find, not enough small angels willing to give up an eye...

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Thu-11-Jan

Mooselake wrote:Where did you get that 40mm angel eye ring? The smaller ones can be tough to find, not enough small angels willing to give up an eye...

Kirk

You can make them by printing a ring and putting a strip of LED lighting into the ring. I got one that was from an autostore, i inset it into a printed ring.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby gbutts9 » 2015-Jan-Thu-18-Jan

Thanks all for the responses.

I have Rev F board with the black/red barrel to ATX power leads. I will have another look at that. I had originally discounted it as the wire loops between the ATX connectors are quite tight and are bent over tightly so they clear the desktop when the printer is upright. That seems to be the best answer though. Thank you.

I got the angel eyes on eBay. The site here won't let me post a link - just search "40mm angel eyes".

I've designed a bracket/mount to attach to the Z probe and hold the LED ring around the extruder up at the top where it is clear of the printer superstructure at low Z heights. I haven't fitted it as I am printing other stuff and want to put off the nausea of realigning the probe for a little while. I have printed a prototype. I've included a photo and can attach another once it is installed. When the mount is finalised I'll post in on Thingiverse.

Geoff

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gbutts9

Postby jolars » 2015-Jan-Fri-10-Jan

I am using a 12V power supply for my bot and heated bet.

I found a molex power supplied 5mm LED that was bright enough to illuminate my print area and then build this to house it:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:628977

The light is on when the bot is powered and off when its not. Works great :)

jolars
I'm an end stop.

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jan-Fri-13-Jan

gbutts9 wrote:I got the angel eyes on eBay. The site here won't let me post a link - just search "40mm angel eyes".

Last time I looked for them on eBay (it's been a while) the smallest I could find was 60mm. Just ordered a couple of a 12 LED version. It'll go nice with the shrouded extruder project's all metal ubis (need to clear the barrel cooling fan) rework.

Wonder then they'll come investigate me for all these little packages with the Chinese writing on them?

Thanks!

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Bill.Brown1951 » 2015-Feb-Sat-08-Feb

Could you please post the .stl file for your light ring?

Bill.Brown1951

Postby Willy » 2015-Feb-Sat-18-Feb

There are several light rings already available on Thingiverse. Here is a link to a LED light ring and some that look similar to above.
http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=LED+ring&sa=

I don't care if you're white, black, red, periwinkle, burnt umber, or chartreuse -- resisting arrest is not a right, it's a crime. And it's never a good idea. ~Mike Rowe
Willy

Postby zhuhaiping » 2015-Oct-Sun-21-Oct

stl file for your light ring?

The 16th China International Lighting Fair (Autumn Fair) will be held from 22-26 October, 2015 at the Guzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre in Zhongshan City, Guangdong Province.
zhuhaiping

Postby Willy » 2016-Jan-Fri-15-Jan

I should mention if anyone is still reading this. I used a LED strip from a car battery jumper kit and a laptop brick type power supply from a dead laptop. I would post a pic yet photobucket is offline for maintenance

Willy

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Jan-Fri-16-Jan

You did not mention of the LED will have their own switch to turn them on/ off. If you want to purchase a different power supply use the one that are drivers for LED strips. Such as this one.
Image Also would you share your design with us?

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Jan-Sat-12-Jan

If you use one of these LED power supplies with the exposed terminals make sure to print a cover or find another way to enclose them. Electrocution isn't fun.

@bbrown64, did you see the article about the guy building the 70'+ sailboat in his front yard in Tulsa?

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Jan-Sun-04-Jan

Moose, I was over at Dougs house Saturday. He is the one with the 74' boat in his yard. I help him out on weekends. Except yesterday, I was there to build a small forge so I can heat treat some knives I plan on making soon.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Return to Simple talk (hardware)